PDA

View Full Version : Alberta, A Fishing destination?

duffy4
04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Just was thinking about fishing and fishing destinations and taking trips to go fishing.

If you lived in another province, would you travel to Alberta to go fishing, and for what fish in what area?

For example if you lived in Manatoba and wanted to do some river fishing for trout you may plan a trip to float and fish the Bow.

McLeod
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
You would if you have never caught a Golden Trout or a grayling.
If you never caught a trout in the mountains..so the short answer is yes there are reasons to come to Alberta to fish for trout.

nicemustang
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, there is better artic grayling fishing in northern sask or NWT than in alberta....

McLeod
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, there is better artic grayling fishing in northern sask or NWT than in alberta....

Yes agreed but you would also have a chn ace to catch Rainbows and Bulls at the same time.

nicemustang
04-30-2009, 04:11 PM
True that. Many a mountain river and creek in ES areas that have some awesome trout fishing. Flat landers are spoiled in Man and Sask for pike and walleye but rarely get mountain views, hikes, and awesome trout fishing.

Tredeb
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I am sorry to say that I live in Alberta and most of my fishing is done in Saskatchewan. Mostly because we go to northern Sask for a family vacation each year and I am very close to Meadow Lake Prov park, so we end up camping there a few times a year.

I can't comment on the trout fishing in the mountains, as I am more for boat fishing, but if you are coming from any distance, you usually have to drive past a lot of good fishing to get to Alberta

I keep threatening to go for Lake trout on Cold Lake and I think if I got into that, I would really enjoy it.

tbosch
04-30-2009, 04:19 PM
As far as i'm concerned we have something that most other destinations dont have. Due to the diverse regions of alberta you can fish for monster laker pike and walleye (among other sport fish) in the forested northern areas, You can catch Nice pike ,walleye, trout in the various lakes reservoirs & streams throughout the central and southern portions of alberta. And then theres the numerous mountain streams full of everything from cutthroat and rainbows to arctic grayling. We've got a lot to offer IMO. I love alberta. Always have always will.

Waxy
04-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Unless you're into fly fishing, I can't see travelling to AB to fish.

Waxy

goober
04-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Waxy

Why is that? I am not a fly fisherman and I have had good success in our province every where i went. I fish with friends all the time that are fly fishing while I am spin casting and never had an issue. I have had day's where I got out fished and then had day's when I caught more than them. I think our province is a great destination based on its diversity alone!:wave:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Waxy

Exactly there's some good fishing around , but why go here when you can go to Manitoba for Giant Walleye ,Pike, Muskie , Catfish , If you want trout Alberta is your place with some of North America's best stream and river fishing around .But then again , if your willing to go up north away from the crowds you can do some fantastic fishing . Or even into the north west territories and Saskatchewan has some fantastic fishing , with some decent numbers. My vote would be to fish everywhere .

gpguy7
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I think that there are 2 reasons to fish alberta, reason number one being the bow river for fly fisherman, and number two being the lake trout in the athabasca and cold lake region. If you're not going to fish either of those, I don't see it as being a destination compared to ontario with all their species, bc for the sal****er, and nwt for pike and grayling.

Waxy
05-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Why is that? I am not a fly fisherman and I have had good success in our province every where i went. I fish with friends all the time that are fly fishing while I am spin casting and never had an issue. I have had day's where I got out fished and then had day's when I caught more than them. I think our province is a great destination based on its diversity alone!:wave:

No offense meant, I guess I should have said "trout" fishing, fly or spinning, doesn't matter.

As for why, I think the others above summed it up, there's simply FAR better destinations if you want to fish for anything else.

Waxy

goober
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
No offense meant, I guess I should have said "trout" fishing, fly or spinning, doesn't matter.

As for why, I think the others above summed it up, there's simply FAR better destinations if you want to fish for anything else.

Waxy

I agree that the soul purpose for someone coming would be for Trout, spin or fly fishing.

troutpirate
05-02-2009, 02:24 PM
trout amongst mountains or the bow r. is the best we have to offer. anything else and you ca bet more "bang for your buck" some where else.
i'm very thankful i was born in alberta,though:)

MrDave
05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I have had the luck of traveling through out Alberta, while working in the patch. I have seen so many honey spots it would be tough to pick.
The north west, Chinchaga river west of Manning for big walleye and pike, the Peace tributaries for nice trout.
Or else some Perch in north east Alberta. Some of those potholes only see a handful of people a year and the perch are easy as well as fat.
But I think the spot I desire to get back to the most :love:is the Cutbank area south west of Grande Prairie for trout and grayling. No people, beautiful scenery, lots of decent fish, a different stream every day, and water so cold your toes curl up.

Jester
05-03-2009, 12:03 AM
If you lived in another province, would you travel to Alberta to go fishing, and for what fish in what area?

I hate to say this but.....NO....hunting/yes..fishing no..

My money would be on Ontario for the best fishing province..even tho I think they suck..:(

blackpheasant
05-03-2009, 12:48 AM
The Red Deer River has everything I desire fishing fresh water - Walleye in the teens common, Big Browns right in town and upstream of Red Deer, then there's the prolific Goldeye and Whitefish fishery 2nd to none anywhere, and the scenery and landscape are always nice to look at as well.......when I need to get fish in the freezer the West Coast is never far away...:wave:

JohninAB
05-03-2009, 06:28 AM
For me I guess it all depends on if you want to keep fish, ie walleyes then Alberta is only so so. Other than that, for a walleye fishery, hard to beat Pigeon Lake for sheer numbers. I have fished some of the best walleye lakes in NW Ontario and they would be hard pressed to match the consistent action of Pigeon Lake. Our stream fishing is second to none and up north is some awesome pike, walleye and lake trout fishing.

If I wanted sheer numbers of variety of fish to catch plus keep a few for the pan, then Ontario gets my vote. So many lakes and such diverse species (muskies, smallies, largies, pike, walleye) you name it can be found together in a lot of their lakes. Lac Seul is worth the price of admission alone.

Meadow Lake Provincial park in Saskatchewan would also garner serious consideration. Big variety of fish, walleyes, pike, hybrid trout species (splake, tiger trout) along with lake, rainbows, brookies etc in the numerous lakes within the park. Also generous limits there as well.

Tredeb
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
As far as a destination, the way I look at it is:

Alberta is a great place for a vacation destination and you can catch fish here too.

Northern Sask, Manitioba and Ontario are great fishing destinations and you can vacation there too.

SNAPFisher
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
As far as i'm concerned we have something that most other destinations dont have. Due to the diverse regions of alberta you can fish for monster laker pike and walleye (among other sport fish) in the forested northern areas, You can catch Nice pike ,walleye, trout in the various lakes reservoirs & streams throughout the central and southern portions of alberta. And then theres the numerous mountain streams full of everything from cutthroat and rainbows to arctic grayling. We've got a lot to offer IMO. I love alberta. Always have always will.

Amen!

Freedom55
05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Saw a great T.V. promotion for guided walleye fishing on the North Sask. River in Edmonton on "Facts of Fishing" with Dave Mercer. Check it out on The Score. Seemed to be worth his trip out.
Dave Si.