PDA

View Full Version : sheridan lake bc

boomstick
07-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Well after the canada trip to the bighorn .the lovily and i will be taking the trailerto sheridan lake bc fishing for a week . ive heard the rainbow fishing is awesome . has anybody here been there before , any tips or spots on the lake to look for . we are just renting one of the boats , 85 bucks for 12 hr day , 14 ft aluminum and 8 hp motor . gunna be a blast .
:sHa_shakeshout:

Redfrog
07-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Ihave fished Sheridan years ago. I found it tough fishing. Talk to the locals and see if you can pry or ply some info from them.

That rate seems reasonable for sure.

boomstick
07-03-2017, 07:50 PM
thanks redfrog ...cant be any worse than the bighorn dam lol

Redfrog
07-03-2017, 08:00 PM
As I said it's been a while, but you might want to check out Hammer lake. It's in the same area. we caught lots in there in 1-3 lb range There was also a lake east of Hammer that we use to walk to. 15 minute easy walk. Not sure if it has a name, but it looks like a pair of spectacles. We just called it the twins. We always did well there in a canoe or from the shore.
It likely has more pressure now, but I'd check it out if Sheridan doesn't produce for you.

boomstick
07-03-2017, 08:18 PM
sweet ...thank you sir i,ll check it out.

Mountain Guy
07-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Sheridan is the only lake to which I can claim that I fished 3 days and didn't catch 1 fish.... lol !!
Tough lake.... but I've heard that when the big sedges are hatching it could be incredible.

badger
07-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Three of us got back from Sheridan on June 27, we have been going there for 10 years. Last week the fishing slowed down as the caddis hatch was done and fish move to deeper water. In the deep water the fish are spread out and tough to catch. Since we are strictly fly fishing, the fishing on Sheridan is over since the fish are more than 20' deep and probably feeding on shrimp. Check with the fly shop in Little Fort or Lone Butte Sporting Goods for conditions. Definitely follow what the locals are doing. Trout are big in Sheridan, in the springtime we have caught 10+ pounders on flies and can see them on the marl in less than 8 feet of water.

Lots of other great lakes to fish nearby if you are not wanting to troll deep for lunkers. Some info we posted on this year's trip here:
http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=59013

Fishwhere
07-04-2017, 06:29 AM
She is a fickle lake. We fished for a day and didnt get a bite. If you have a fish finder i would at least locate the depth that theyre at. They were religiously at 40' when i was there 2 Years ago. My buddy lived there and says its a lake that has trophies, but when they decide to bite is another thing. One thing i will say is that there was an older fellow that was using gang trolls and absoulutely slaying them. We have numerous gang trolls and set ups and using diff depths, speeds and bait and couldnt get anything... so i have no clue. Haha

Beautiful regardless. Good luck! There some bald eagles on that lake too,
So a nice little side attraction.

boomstick
07-04-2017, 06:40 AM
thanks for the info guys . as i dont have a fish finder it will be pure luck i guess lol. guess im off to the fishing hole to buy a dipsy , ford fenders and some apex spoons . ive caught a lot of bows in my many years but would love to see the missy tie into a good one . its still gunna be a blast any just being there and i will post results when we get back .

Salmo
07-04-2017, 09:37 AM
I spend two weeks in the interlakes every summer. We used to do Sheridan but have moved lakes (fishing being the main driver). It is a gorgeous lake and while there are no doubt lots of big 'bows in there, but once the water warms it is toooouuugggghhhh!

Try Bridge, Deka, Sulphorus or Hathaway. They all have Lakers and Kokanee (good ones) in addition to decent 'bows and getting skunked is a rarity.

Salmo
07-04-2017, 09:39 AM
If you do fish Sheridan (especially without electronics), my best luck has been at the east end of the big island, it drops to 40' pretty quickly and the bows seems to cruise it in the evenings and I used to pick the odd one up on a leech pattern on a Type V sinking line to get down, trolling deep should work.