PDA

View Full Version : Fish Lake / Goldeye Lake

GoneFishingEDM
07-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Hi Guys, Just looking for recommendations. We are taking the grandson up to Abraham Lake this weekend for the day. We want to take him fishing for some trout. I haven't fished either of these lakes, any suggestion what lake would be the better one to take him to. He's 12, with very little fishing experience (looking to change that). Thanks for any help.

MrDave
07-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Both will be hit pretty hard. Lots of stuff to ask. Boat or shore fishing? What do you have for equipment?

At this time of year it will be slow, especially in the heat. Best chance will be really early in the day. I have been taking my little one after dock perch just to keep her interested.

B00MER
07-04-2017, 11:16 AM
There's also a couple of other choices in the area that might be good to get him started. Harlech pond (about 7km east of Nordegg on hwy 11) or the two Shunda ponds ( about 2 km north on the FTR from hwy 11) Enjoy

GoneFishingEDM
07-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Both will be hit pretty hard. Lots of stuff to ask. Boat or shore fishing? What do you have for equipment?

At this time of year it will be slow, especially in the heat. Best chance will be really early in the day. I have been taking my little one after dock perch just to keep her interested.

Thanks for the info. It will be shore fishing. I'm setup with jig, spinners, a good mix of spoons. I've had him out at Wabamun a few times now, he's done pretty good catching pike, so I figured we would get him trying something he can actually have for supper.

Bigwoodsman
07-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Check out the creeks in the area as well. You might find the pools holding some nice fish.

BW

mikeym
07-05-2017, 08:55 AM
of the two Fish lake is the better one to fish from shore. Goldeye is pretty shallow around the edges and drops off a bit farther from shore making it harder to shore fish.
most people shore fish along the campsite side of lake as it drops off a bit faster. just walk along the shore till you find a place to cast a line. lots of people fishing this lake so it can be a challenge to find an unoccupied spot at times. also nothing of size in this lake as it is fished hard and they don't get a chance to grow. also lots of Osprey and eagles on the lake. was there two weeks ago and there was 6 ospreys flying around and 2 bald eagles not to mention a couple of herons on the lake. lots of competition. was pretty slow the week we were there.
the ponds north of hwy 11 on the FTR are pretty easy to fish from shore but the west one is a popular spot for not only fishing but cliff diving and everything else. friend was there on the weekend and he said that there was a group of people cliff diving, 2 or 3 paddle boarders and a group of kayakers on the lake, so fishing was not great.
give Abraham lake a try. it can be pretty decent fishing at the creek inlets from shore. not sure of the regs as far as what you can or can't keep, but better chance of hooking into something of size then the other put and take lakes around there.

good luck
Mike

GoneFishingEDM
07-05-2017, 09:55 AM
of the two Fish lake is the better one to fish from shore. Goldeye is pretty shallow around the edges and drops off a bit farther from shore making it harder to shore fish.
most people shore fish along the campsite side of lake as it drops off a bit faster. just walk along the shore till you find a place to cast a line. lots of people fishing this lake so it can be a challenge to find an unoccupied spot at times. also nothing of size in this lake as it is fished hard and they don't get a chance to grow. also lots of Osprey and eagles on the lake. was there two weeks ago and there was 6 ospreys flying around and 2 bald eagles not to mention a couple of herons on the lake. lots of competition. was pretty slow the week we were there.
the ponds north of hwy 11 on the FTR are pretty easy to fish from shore but the west one is a popular spot for not only fishing but cliff diving and everything else. friend was there on the weekend and he said that there was a group of people cliff diving, 2 or 3 paddle boarders and a group of kayakers on the lake, so fishing was not great.
give Abraham lake a try. it can be pretty decent fishing at the creek inlets from shore. not sure of the regs as far as what you can or can't keep, but better chance of hooking into something of size then the other put and take lakes around there.

good luck
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I think we will try our luck at Abraham.

Myles_C
07-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Great tips. Thanks

GoneFishingEDM
07-12-2017, 03:34 PM
We went to Abraham Lake, it was smooth as glass. on my second cast, some idiot camped up on the hill behind us starts yelling at us, "there's no fish in this lake". On my 3rd cast I pulled in a nice Rainbow. You could hear the guy say "HOLY ****, there are actually fish here". It was funny as hell. About 20 minutes later, the lake got pretty rough when the wind picked up. It was fun, thanks for the advice guys.