PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

maximusII
07-04-2017, 01:07 PM
So I am out in the middle of a lake fishing a favorite spot when a guy passes me obviously heading somewhere. He pulls up casting distance away from me, circles my boat a few times all the while looking down at his depth finder/ gps. Marks my spot and then hammers down on the throttle and off he goes. Like WTF?!?!

Talking moose
07-04-2017, 01:14 PM
What can you do? He might of marked some good structure but respected you enough to just mark it for later and let you fish in peace. I don't see a huge invasion of privacy here. Pretty minor.

Okotokian
07-04-2017, 01:25 PM
What would I do? Nothing. He's a jerk, but no reason to lower yourself.

3blade
07-04-2017, 01:30 PM
What's the problem? You don't own the lake, nor the fish. It's not 'your spot'

He marked a place on a lake and left to let you fish it alone as you were there first. I would call that polite and respectful.

millsboy79
07-04-2017, 01:32 PM
What can you do? He might of marked some good structure but respected you enough to just mark it for later and let you fish in peace. I don't see a huge invasion of privacy here. Pretty minor.

Agreed

Okotokian
07-04-2017, 01:33 PM
What's the problem? You don't own the lake, nor the fish. It's not 'your spot'

He marked a place on a lake and left to let you fish it alone as you were there first. I would call that polite and respectful.

Circling someone within casting distance isn't what I would call polite and respectful. I usually try to give others a couple hundred yards space.

Lowrance Fishburn
07-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately that's just the way she goes.

3blade
07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Circling someone within casting distance isn't what I would call polite and respectful. I usually try to give others a couple hundred yards space.

guess we see it differently. If he was causing a safety hazard, ex the op was fishing in a canoe, or ice fishing, or guy pulled up and anchored 10 ft away...that would get a reaction out of me. But a guy who marks structure and leaves is being decent. I think the op is more annoyed that someone used him to find and mark his favorite fishing spot.

Jamie Black R/T
07-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Braid casting distance? or mono casting distance? :)

Braid distance....do nothing...hes not even close.

mono distance....do what a normal person does....say HI!

dont really understand why people get so uptight and miss a perfectly good opportunity to BS with a fellow outdoorsman.

Talking moose
07-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I do agree that buddy while passing by, could of marked the spot, and returned later after you left, to further check the area out, rather than doing it while you were fishing it. That's what I would of done, but each to their own.

Kurt505
07-04-2017, 03:04 PM
I would have told him the fishing is great and let him know what I was using, and that's no exaggeration. With the current limits in Alberta I'm sure you won't have to worry about him cleaning out your hole.

58thecat
07-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Grab the the pee bucket and let er rip...:)

dodger
07-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Grab the the pee bucket and let er rip...:)

Or at my age - let er drip.

Dodger.

Bigwoodsman
07-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Or at my age - let er drip.

Dodger.

You should see a doctor about that drip! They can fix it! Or if it's the other kinda drip get a shot of penicillin!

BW :sHa_shakeshout:

The Fisherman Guy
07-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Here's a related story you might find interesting:

Fishing in a not so well known spot, had the place to ourselves for a couple hours. Catching, releasing and having a great time in the boat.

Buddy drives up to my boat, and starts circling us - half mono casting distance, approximately 15 yards.

He asks: "Catching any"

I reply: "Yeah, it's been pretty good"

Him: "Yeah, but did you land any?"

Me: "Uh, haha, Yeah."

Wait for his reply......

Him: "I already fished here"

Then he booted up on plane and left. We are still laughing about that one.

huntsfurfish
07-04-2017, 07:47 PM
I would just quit fishing and go home and pout if that happened to me.:)

Big Sky
07-04-2017, 07:57 PM
You'll never get consensus on this issue.

When I see someone fishing in a spot I've never tried before, I'll pass by at a hundred yards or so and mark it on the GPS. ( or maybe not. It depends on how interesting the spot seems. )

It's not his lake. It's not his spot. They're not his fish.
But it's not my lake, my spot or my fish, either.
So, I'd have left the OP to fish in peace and I would come back later to check it out.

I like it when other people do the same.
But, you'll never get consensus on this issue.

Kurt505
07-04-2017, 08:03 PM
I would just quit fishing and go home and pout if that happened to me.:):sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikeman06
07-04-2017, 08:46 PM
New to alberta? Gotta have thick skin out here, that's how we roll. Binoculars are standard issue now a days asswell, so no use b.s-ing when they ask you if you been catching or not. The gigs up bud.😳

Isopod
07-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Forget about it, he only bothered you for a couple minutes to mark the spot for later, then left you to fish in peace. What's the alternative anyway, chase after him and force him to delete the GPS coordinates?

Big Red 250
07-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Should of told him that you were trying to get some pike in the weeds, he likely would have taken off without marking anything on his gps.

The Spank
07-05-2017, 12:13 AM
I've had that happen regularily years ago but hunting. Week in and week out fishermen would show up and work a spot off a small island we would diver duck hunt from. They would be within 25-30 yards of the decoy spread working back and forth and of course that would end our hunting until they left, sometimes staying through the entire morning flight. Asked nicely many, many times to not interfere to no avail. Usually ignored but one day a fellow was quite rude and told us to F.O.. I don't think he cared much for our solution to the problem but word must have gotten around to avoid that spot as the fishing tapered off to nil after a few outings.

Half Pickereled
07-05-2017, 09:42 AM
I always flip pages from maps/ depth/ or sonar when im putting around maybe im checking fuel consumption or water temp on the different pages but I can guarantee you'd never know which unless you were sitting in the seat beside me so its possible he didn't mark the spot after all. But still I hear what your saying when theres a big open lake and people gotta come over to see what brand of beer your drinking.

wags
07-05-2017, 09:51 AM
*in my best Dory voice*

"Just keep fishing."
"Just keep fishing."
"just keep fishing, fishing, fishing"

Cheers

bigskinner
07-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Was yer ole lady sunbathing on the bow half naked , maybe he wanted to check er out:thinking-006:

Stinky Buffalo
07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
I had that happen once when I was fishing with IncrediGirl... The guys running the local boat rental kiosk decided it would be fun to do laps around our rowboat.

My guess is that they were completely enamored by her beauty... And were trying to show off their Jet Ski prowess in order to show her that they were REAL men and more worthy of her affection than I. :thinking-006:

beerhonky
07-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Give them the stink eye, maybe cast a few near their boat. Then forget about it and enjoy the rest of the day fishing.

neilsledder
07-05-2017, 11:22 AM
It suck had it happen. When they ask if I am catching anything I say nope not a bite! Those guys usually move on pretty fast to! Sadly people don't care about respecting your personal space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordtruckin
07-05-2017, 11:24 AM
I would just quit fishing and go home and pout if that happened to me.:)

I'd just post something on a hunting and fishing forum.

Too much speculation on what he could have been doing to be upset over it. I've been fishing when people slowly start creeping into my spot. After I've fished it for a while I move on so others can have a chance at it. I don't like to monopolize a good hole.

Bigwoodsman
07-05-2017, 11:43 AM
This reminds me of the time about 20 years ago in Saskatchewan, while Walleye fishing on Canoe Lake with my Dad and a good friend.

It was the best Walleye fishing I ever experienced several triple headers and lots of double catches. Of course we were whopping it up a little and high fiving each other. Had our dinner in the live well and were just catching and releasing. There was one other boat that got so close that they actually bumped our boat trying to see what we were using, even after we told them rubber jigs, let them hit the bottom, then slowly retrieve along the bottom.

It was after they banged the boat that dad said here I'll give you this one, then let it slip from his hand back to the lake. We had been out there for a few hours catching and releasing by this time, so dad said time for lunch and we packed up and went in.

Later that day my buddy and I went back out and just caught and release again for another 2-3 hours. The Saskatchewan equivalent of Fish and Wildlife pulled up and checked us out, couldn't believe we didn't have any fish in the live well, and all we were doing was catch and release. We told them we had our fillets on ice back at camp, but they never bother us again that week.

Great time fishing.

BW

Vook
07-05-2017, 11:53 AM
That was not that bad. Last year we were fishing with kids from the shore. Couple guys came with their boat, stopped at about 12-15 yards in front of us, dropped drift sock anchor and started fly fishing. That's what I would called disrespect.

NorthShore
07-05-2017, 12:01 PM
That was not that bad. Last year we were fishing with kids from the shore. Couple guys came with their boat, stopped at about 12-15 yards in front of us, dropped drift sock anchor and started fly fishing. That's what I would called disrespect.

Put on your biggest heaviest spoon and start skipping it across the water. :argue2:

mapleleafman3
07-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Break out the slingshot and egg sinkers (or M&M peanuts). Fire a warning shot or two.

Fishwhere
07-06-2017, 08:39 AM
I personally fish with people i want to be with and not really a fan of people getting too close to me on the water. I find that to be rude when there is an entire lake and it may be a spot that i have scoured the lake over the years looking for. Out of courtesy i dont think its right to come too close to someone when theyre fishing - if they havent chosen to fish in a poplular or known spot i think space and respect should be given. Chances are probably fairly decent that if they are fishing a "spot" it might be a wider area than you think and you may be doing doughnuts or drive bys througb the area that they will be fishing very shortly... thus i give as much space as i would want, which is a lot.

I understand that there is the social aspect to it and that is really awesome and slowly over time i am slowly making it a tad more "social" i guess tou could say. But generally i go fish with people that i want there.

Maybe it depends on the situation - but majority of time i think leave the guy alone get a ballpark of where it is from a very generous distance and come back later when he has moved.

2 cents of a fishing hermit hahaha

Sarah-Mae
07-07-2017, 01:17 AM
I shore fish more than anything but I wouldn't be too bothered unless they got within casting distance if I was boating or casting right into my casting radius/crossing my line if I was shore fishing. I like to chat with others and am pretty sociable so others coming by isn't a bother for me generally.

If I fish a small lake enough I'll eventually pick a spot that I feel most comfortable with, and if I happen to get there and others are there I'll leave them be, popping over if I notice they leave. Like others have said, it's not your lake or my lake, it's a lake we all share so we should have some respect for each other. Unless you own your own lake with fish, in which case can I come over?

Myles_C
07-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Vent on a forum. That sucks though.