PDA

View Full Version : fishing with kids

chuck-the-chimp
07-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Two questions:

I want to take my kids (5years old) fishing. They don't need a license, I don't intend to fish myself. It has been suggested I should have a license, but nothing in the regs suggests a youth need be accompanied by a license holder.

We're camping in town in drumheller. Is the shore fishing on the river worth taking my kids fishing stuff along? (I've never been)

Kurt505
07-05-2017, 09:43 AM
I can't speak for how good the fishing will be, but your kids cannot retain any fish if you do not have a valid license. Their catch goes under your limit if you hold a valid license.

bubba 96
07-05-2017, 09:53 AM
I can't speak for how good the fishing will be, but your kids cannot retain any fish if you do not have a valid license. Their catch goes under your limit if you hold a valid license.

This is not the case, kids do not need a license till 16, up until 16 they can retain fish with or without an adult, they just need to be able to cast reel and land fish on their own..my 13 yr goes by himself all the time and brings home fish, all the time where allowed..

chuck-the-chimp
07-05-2017, 09:59 AM
This is not the case, kids do not need a license till 16, up until 16 they can retain fish with or without an adult, they just need to be able to cast reel and land fish on their own..my 13 yr goes by himself all the time and brings home fish, all the time where allowed..

Interesting. I'm foreseeing my kids needing help casting. Otherwise someone is going to get a hook in the face/ear /hand.

Solominotaur
07-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Like a condom rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It's cheap anywho

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Kurt505
07-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Ah, you're probably right, this might only apply to non-residents.

Stinky Buffalo
07-05-2017, 10:20 AM
I agree with Solominotaur... At some point your hands will be on a rod with a hook attached while you are near a body of water... And that can be construed as fishing by an officer. A license is way cheaper than the potential fine...

Plus, then you can fish too! :sHa_shakeshout:

(That is, when you're not untangling the kids lines, and pulling hooks out of their clothes and the surrounding vegetation...) :D

Solominotaur
07-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Ya, it sounds stupid but if an officer that's in a bad mood thinks you were fishing rather than just tying a new hook on I believe the fine is 55 bucks and a liscence is 35. Not 100% sure on either of those numbers but I know the fine is higher

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

allaboutmathews
07-05-2017, 03:06 PM
If you don't intend to fish, it's a waste of $35. Get a couple Dora explorer rods and leter rip? If some meat head is gonna give you a $115 (maybe even $150... can't remember) ticket and take the kids rods away from you, he needs to go for a blunt object a swim!
One gave one of our wives a ticket on the last day before you had to buy a new license (first time she'd been out that year) and he even took the rod she was borrowing for evidence... I bet he felt pretty special... but even better that we didn't have a hole big enough to stuff him down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoFugger21
07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Question has been answered already, but for what it's worth nobody needs a licence this coming weekend (July 8-9) as it's Alberta's 'Family Fishing Weekend' and everyone can fish without a licence.

diamond k
07-05-2017, 07:24 PM
If you don't intend to fish, it's a waste of $35. Get a couple Dora explorer rods and leter rip? If some meat head is gonna give you a $115 (maybe even $150... can't remember) ticket and take the kids rods away from you, he needs to go for a blunt object a swim!
One gave one of our wives a ticket on the last day before you had to buy a new license (first time she'd been out that year) and he even took the rod she was borrowing for evidence... I bet he felt pretty special... but even better that we didn't have a hole big enough to stuff him down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about you don't break the law. Problem solved.

FYI your the problem not the officer and threating law officials not once but twice in the same post might be a new record for AO.:snapoutofit:

MrDave
07-05-2017, 08:15 PM
How about you don't break the law. Problem solved.

FYI your the problem not the officer and threating law officials not once but twice in the same post might be a new record for AO.:snapoutofit:

But she was only poaching a little bit.... People sure love to break the law just a little bit, then whine about the consequences

EdvinTheKid
07-05-2017, 10:34 PM

Wait, kids are allowed to fish without adult supervision!?

-JR-
07-06-2017, 05:53 AM
Few years ago, kids catch limit was the limit of the person who was taking them out. Not no more .It has changed back to kids have there own catch limit.

MoFugger21
07-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Few years ago, kids catch limit was the limit of the person who was taking them out. Not no more .It has changed back to kids have there own catch limit.

Bit of a derail, sorry, but... Must be more than a "few years" ago. I can remember going out by myself at Livingstone and Oldman (when you could still keep fish) when I was under 16 and I was always able to bring back something without it counting against my dad's limit. So at least 20+ years now...

chuck-the-chimp
07-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Wait, kids are allowed to fish without adult supervision!?

Someone phone child protective services! Those kids don't have sunscreen or their fishing helmets on.

Think of the children!
:snapoutofit:

-JR-
07-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Bit of a derail, sorry, but... Must be more than a "few years" ago. I can remember going out by myself at Livingstone and Oldman (when you could still keep fish) when I was under 16 and I was always able to bring back something without it counting against my dad's limit. So at least 20+ years now...

They only had it for one year that kids could not keep any more than their supervising adult . I believe it was two years ago or even last year .

TylerThomson
07-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Yeah they should have to buy a licence even if they only go once a year. My father in law fishes with me 2 maybe 3 times a year and I won't take him unless he gets his licence. How is a co supposed to know if it's your first time out that year or your 35th?

TylerThomson
07-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Are you still trolling or are you serious? I teach both my kids about the regulations and sometimes it can be tough when a kid wants to keep a fish they caught but I can't let them but that's the way it is. It's attitudes like yours that destroy fisheries. Where's the line? Poaching is poaching and its as black and white as the regulations themselves.