PDA

View Full Version : First fishing boat - help point me in the right direction

Alephnaught
07-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Exploring getting into my first boat. Know nothing about it & just need to get an idea of what I should be looking at to match my needs.

This will be just for occasional use with my kids. Up to now, we've just gone out with other family and friends and I think we're ready to try it on our own. I'm limited on storage options in the yard, so will need to keep that in mind.

So, this will be a boat:

for fishing, towing tubes or skiing won't be on its job list
to carry one adult and a couple of kids. Just to be safe, let's call it max 3 adults at any one time
for small freshwater lakes, most probably the ones east and north of Edmonton
capable of being transported either on top of a truck boat rack or in a 5'x10' utility trailer (I have storage space for the utility trailer, but not enough for a boat + trailer in addition to that)
able to be managed by one adult doing the launching, retrieving, lifting onto the transport on their own

I'm thinking something either like a 12-14' aluminum boat or maybe an inflatable like a Zodiac Typhoon. 10 hp motor & maybe a trolling motor if needed. Open to used if new guy + used boat doesn't = problems.

Am I heading on the right track, or should I be looking at this differently?

TROLLER
07-09-2017, 03:32 PM
If you do not have the space to store the boat and trailer then you either pay for storage or look at an inflatable. My experience with the inflatable I did not feel all that safe.

That is most likely just me but there are a lot of very good used zodiac type for sale as well as many good aluminum boats as well, some with very good motors.

Girlsfishtoo
07-09-2017, 03:48 PM
I run a older fibreglass with trailer and a 12ft fishing boat tin tub, for me I feel safer and more roomier in the bigger boat but than again the fishing boat is just as handy I haul it upside down on a rack that slides into your box of your truck able to pull trailer behind it, it's powered by a 9.9 motor and it's does the trick my dad bought it when we were young and it served Well for many trips and we still use it, gotta use common sense still with it, but we've gotten bigger and we use the bigger boat now, it was cheap to buy and it runs awesome 60 hp motor moves you pretty good, buts hey both boats will get you out on the water and having fun, so it's your choice

pikergolf
07-09-2017, 03:56 PM
14 ft aluminum boat with a 15 hp motor. If you can swing a trailer for it, it would make life so much easier. There is a big jump between a 12 and 14 ft boats, I would not even consider 3 adults in a 12, even pushing it in a 14.

pikergolf
07-09-2017, 04:35 PM
If you have your heart set on a 12.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=3580182#post3580182

BiggieB
07-09-2017, 05:24 PM
My recommendation is a 12-16 ft aluminum deep v-hull boat if you can find it (if not just a v-hull will work fine) with a 15-20hp motor to push you around the lake. Stay away from flat bottoms or "john boats" as they do not like rough water

I have a 12ft aluminum springbok v-hull with a 6.5hp motor that I bought this summer for $800. I can fit 3 small adults in the boat but can get tippy if people move around a lot or the waves pick up but I don't ever feel unsafe. also with the small 6.5hp motor it pushes the boat but definitely not very fast. (I just throw the boat on the top of my truck on my canopy and I can do it by myself.... my dad can throw it in the bed of his truck and have it hang out a few feet since he has an 8ft box)

My father owns a 15ft timmothy eaton with a 25hp motor and that boat will scooter around pretty quick, but it's super heavy and requires to be towed with a trailer converted from an old camper....

Fishwhere
07-09-2017, 08:47 PM
14 ft aluminum boat with a 15 hp motor. If you can swing a trailer for it, it would make life so much easier. There is a big jump between a 12 and 14 ft boats, I would not even consider 3 adults in a 12, even pushing it in a 14.

Ditto

Also agree with staying away from a john boat, but they are lighter in saying that so you may be able to get a 14ft but i doubt the capacity is very much.
Ideally if you are somehow able to store it i think a 14ft v hull would be what you are looking for. A 12 ft i would say is only if it was you and the kids or 2 adults go out. Ive been in a 12 with a few people and it needs to be pretty perfect weather wise to do it. At least the 14 gives you a little play in weather and safety.

Good luck! Its a blast getting your first boat!

Alephnaught
07-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks everybody. OK, so 14', v-hull, 15+hp sound like the sensible steps forward from this advice. And, I was hoping to not have to undertake the cost of off-site storage, but it might be worth it if a trailer makes it simpler. I'd prefer to keep it all in-house but if it makes it more readily useable, it might be something I'll have to take a closer look at that.

Game Hunter
07-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks everybody. OK, so 14', v-hull, 15+hp sound like the sensible steps forward from this advice. And, I was hoping to not have to undertake the cost of off-site storage, but it might be worth it if a trailer makes it simpler. I'd prefer to keep it all in-house but if it makes it more readily useable, it might be something I'll have to take a closer look at that.

I've got a 14 ft with 15 hp love it.
If you can find a 20-30 hp you would be ripping. I recommend something over 15 hp for sure. It's big enough for 3 adults max, and take my kids out all the time, very stable.
If you buy a 12 ft it might fit the top of a truck better/ lighter but your sacrificing space.

Fishwhere
07-10-2017, 12:10 PM

I know theres a buy sell thing on here and i have looked a little bit... i watch kijiji every single day for fishing stuff/boats and a TON of 14 fts have come up this year.... has to be the economy, this would honestly be a pretty decent time to buy, and may get better the closer to fall we get.

Okotokian
07-10-2017, 12:59 PM
I grew up fishing and boating in a 12 ft aluminum cartopper with a 9.9 hp engine. That will work for you. Can't get it up there alone but you can with a friend.

But outdoor storage is only $30/month if you want to get something bigger. Up to you.

The Spank
07-10-2017, 04:12 PM
For 3 adults to fish out of?? 12' is NOT a sound choice!! If you plan to fish only on calmer days then you would be well served with a wide beamed 14' Jon boat. They are light weight, easy to launch manually, very stable and inexpensive. I ran one for 11 years in waters with waves not exceeding two feet before moving into something else. It served me well when starting out. I had a 1448 model. 14' long, 48" wide floor, 72" beam, 21" side depth and 21" transom(long shaft motor). Only weighed 220 pounds without the engine. I had a 25 Merc two stroke on it. It was nothing to take it apart to drop off a roadside into a river without a launch etc. Went some amazing places and took a beating. Could run under 1 foot of water on step without the skag touching bottom. Now I'm running a 16' Mod V with a 40 Merc big tiller.

Tfng
07-10-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm sure I sound like a broken record sometimes but I'll say it anyway.

Lund ssv 16. I only say this because you've started to consider other storage options.

Your kids won't be little forever. The extra room is nice. The extra length is nice when some wind comes up.

Mayhem
07-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Lund ssv 16. I only say this because you've started to consider other storage options.

Your kids won't be little forever. The extra room is nice. The extra length is nice when some wind comes up.

Couldn't agree more...

Sask Bearman
07-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Agreed. I started with something very similar. I still run Lunds, just a bit bigger and faster.

The Fisherman Guy
07-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Nerd alert. I'm going off, don't hold me back.

First - Congratulations on your plan to buy your first boat! You are embarking on a journey that will provide you with many memories; Some good, some not so good.

With what you've detailed with your requirements, you can skin this a few different ways.

1) 12-14ft Deep V aluminum

2) 12-14 Flat bottom aluminum

3)10-14ft Inflatable

Any of these boats will accommodate the person capacity you need, and are able to be manhandled by one. Bonus, they can be leaned up against a wall to save storage space - so no trailer needed, you can car top or trailer top it for transport.

Take a look at each model you are considering and compare specifications. The data comparison itself may be enough for you to see the decision yourself.

For instance:

Lund SSV 14

Length: 14'2"
Beam (Width): 70"
Boat weight: 295lbs
Hull thickness: 0.063"
Weight capacity: 1020lbs or 4 persons

Crestliner CRV 1457

Length: 14'1"
Beam (Width): 57"
Boat weight: 147lbs
Hull thickness: 0.050"
Weight capacity: 734lbs or 4 persons

Alumacraft V14

Length: 14'7"
Beam (Width): 62"
Boat weight: 230lbs
Hull thickness: 0.065
Weight capacity: 1015lbs or 5 persons

Marlon SP14

Length: 14'27"
Beam (Width): 63"
Boat weight: 198lbs
Hull thickness: 0.0785
Weight capacity: 1320lbs or 6? persons

Looking at the numbers, leaving prices out - starts to make a little more sense to you when you are the guy doing the heavy lifting! I currently have a Marlon SP14, and it has fished 4 big guys - no problem at all. We can all stand, and not worry about it tipping. Exceptionally stable. With an abundance of deck space, it's not difficult to stand or walk in - compared to a deep v, where most of the deck is not level. In the flat bottom, it's all flat. I've had my SP14 in 4ft swell, and it handled better than I expected. I also take the 20hp Yamaha off, swapping it for oars that I can now row on small restricted water, or rivers.

The bigger the better, especially for 3 people. Unfortunately, inflatables have their own uses - I would not recommend one for what you describe on the basis of fishing in an inflatable is more trouble than it's worth.

My second vote would be for a Lund SSV. They are also very stable, handle big waves well, and are good all around boats that hold their value. Consider buying new, as depreciation on small boats is relatively insignificant in comparison to buying any new boat 50K and up.

Good luck, and have fun. Bring Out Another Thousand.

sundancedan
07-11-2017, 10:28 PM
I suggest if you are going to man handle the boat yourself get these https://www.amazon.ca/Seamax-Launching-Inches-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00A9KBR4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499833306&sr=8-1&keywords=boat+dolly+wheels

Super easy to install and you could probably load it on a truck rack your self.

Go for something light, and wide! You could easily store one in your backyard without a trailer.

Don't forget to check out Tracker, they have a 14ft Deep V too. I cheaped out and got a kayak... Its tippy.

newguy
07-12-2017, 05:14 AM
Lots of great advice here...

I can only add what ever you decide, go bigger.

Too many times I've seen people( myself included) get something smaller then they need. Small inflatables with small motors can be scary with 3 adults in high winds. Same with a tinner.

If you still want a small boat, I'd advise a deep hull model. Lots of choices from there. Good luck.

Tigger72
07-15-2017, 12:36 PM
I think most have hit it on the head with go big, I had an old 14' V bottom that I refurbished with a 9.9 on it... great for 2 adults, small lakes, and big lakes on calm days. Put as big of a motor on it that you can afford. I have two young kids and you want wide and stable as it can get "wild" when you start catching fish!!! Then I thought it was smart to convince my wife that she should fish definitely a full boat!!!
You can get a Load-your-boat boat loader which would be worth it weight in gold for one man loading but a trailer and boat is by far the best best option as you can leave the motor/ gas and gear in the boat for travelling!
You surely have enough info on this thread to make a decision... most of us here have all been "in the same boat" lol when looking for a boat!!! Enjoy!!! this opens up a whole new realm of fishing possibilities!!

KUDUHNTR
07-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Lots of good advice offered on here so far, as mentioned, if you can go bigger to a 16' deep V. As your kids grow, it will still be big enough and you wont have to upgrade, and if you get caught in some nasty weather on the lake, it will fare better than a 12'. Get the biggest motor on the boat that it is rated for, and try to get a long shaft 20" transom. They make boat trailers with swing away tongues, that might help with your storage. There will be lots of good used boats for sale in a few months! Good luck !