PDA

View Full Version : My Dads First Walleye | Shore Fishing Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Timidhc
07-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Tried this spot a few days earlier and took some notes. Everyone was using pieces of smelt rigged up to present the bait a few feet off bottom. Stubbornly I tried to get a bite on a lure for almost 3 hours before joining the dark side to catch my first fish.
Its strictly catch and release only on the Walleye with special regulation for this specific spot so make so to read up before you head out.

https://youtu.be/wIPcy-1CF2U

Anyone else have any success shore fishing at Sylvan?

wildwoods
07-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Man you get out a lot! Awesome stuff.
Congrats to dad.

Walleye become docile when handled under the belly just behind the gills. When not using a net, I'll usually grab the line (to avoid rod tip breakage) and then firmly yet gently as possibly hold that belly- then proceed with hook extraction. No sharp fins to worry about, no fingers in the gills and best of all they settle down so you can quickly get them back in.
Don't take that the wrong way. Your videos are a lot of fun so keep it up!

Bergerboy
07-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Wildwoods is right. For some reason when you hold a Walleye that way they become catatonic.......if only the ol lady was the same.....

Timidhc
07-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Man you get out a lot! Awesome stuff.
Congrats to dad.

Walleye become docile when handled under the belly just behind the gills. When not using a net, I'll usually grab the line (to avoid rod tip breakage) and then firmly yet gently as possibly hold that belly- then proceed with hook extraction. No sharp fins to worry about, no fingers in the gills and best of all they settle down so you can quickly get them back in.
Don't take that the wrong way. Your videos are a lot of fun so keep it up!

Almost every chance I get lol!
And thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that out with the next Walleye I catch.

iYearn
07-11-2017, 09:53 PM
We were at the pier in town last week. The wife wanted to do some shopping so my son and I decided to chuck some lures.

I have never seen so many followers...both pike and walleye...that would not bite the lure.

Based on your video if we had the smelts or some of your garlic scent, they have bit.

The pike followed the spoons and the walleye followed the jigs.

Bushrat
07-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm not trying to be a dick but In the video right at the start it appears your dad is casting a lure at the same time he also has a rod with a bobber floating in the water, you tell him his bobber has a fish biting it and he lays down the rod he is casting with to pick up the second one with the bobber attached. You should be aware that your only allowed to fish with one rod at a time on open water in Alberta. Page 22 of the Alberta Fishing Regs, first line under the subtitle 'General Sportfishing Restrictions'. Might save you a fine if the warden happens to come by and check you.

GoneFishingEDM
07-12-2017, 10:49 AM
My son caught his very first fish this weekend at Wabamun. He's 23, never had any interest in fishing until now. He caught one of the biggest walleyes I've personally seen come out of Wabamun. He just grinned ear to ear. I think he might be hooked.

Talking moose
07-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm not trying to be a dick but In the video right at the start it appears your dad is casting a lure at the same time he also has a rod with a bobber floating in the water, you tell him his bobber has a fish biting it and he lays down the rod he is casting with to pick up the second one with the bobber attached. You should be aware that your only allowed to fish with one rod at a time on open water in Alberta. Page 22 of the Alberta Fishing Regs, first line under the subtitle 'General Sportfishing Restrictions'. Might save you a fine if the warden happens to come by and check you.

I don't see this. Edited?

huntsfurfish
07-12-2017, 11:37 AM
I don't see this. Edited?

Not edited. Right near the start of video.

Talking moose
07-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Not edited. Right near the start of video.

Still don't see it... lol, what minute into the vid? Just watched him catch 2 fish and don't see it.

Talking moose
07-12-2017, 11:50 AM
See it now... oops!!

Timidhc
07-12-2017, 12:23 PM

No worries but I think you're mistaken Bushrat. I couldn't find the clip you were talking about and I only own two non-fly rods!
I didn't know about that rule though. So thanks for the heads up! I remember reading you could have two lines out during the winter and just assumed the rule applied to open water as well.

Timidhc
07-12-2017, 12:26 PM
My son caught his very first fish this weekend at Wabamun. He's 23, never had any interest in fishing until now. He caught one of the biggest walleyes I've personally seen come out of Wabamun. He just grinned ear to ear. I think he might be hooked.

Sounds just like me last year! I realized I had never caught a fish before, so I got my license and found a $10 rod and reel at a garage sale. My first fish was a tiny goldeye I pulled out of the Red Deer river! And I'm still using that $10 rod lol!

Talking moose
07-12-2017, 02:03 PM
He's referring to 55 seconds of the vid.

Myles_C
07-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Gotta love fishing with dad

BuckCuller
07-12-2017, 02:45 PM
He's referring to 55 seconds of the vid.

I watched it and it is Timidhc that puts his rod down to video his dad.
His dad is the one sitting in the chair.
No foul.

Talking moose
07-12-2017, 02:52 PM
I watched it and it is Timidhc that puts his rod down to video his dad.
His dad is the one sitting in the chair.
No foul.

Look closer. U will see a line in the water beside rimic
At least you titled your post correctly....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BuckCuller
07-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Look closer. U will see a line in the water beside rimic
At least you titled your post correctly....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The line to the left of were Timidhc is reeling is someone else fishing right beside him.
His dad is in the chair to the right.

Talking moose
07-12-2017, 03:07 PM
The line to the left of were Timidhc is reeling is someone else fishing right beside him.

If that's the case, then for sure.... all good.

BuckCuller
07-12-2017, 03:10 PM
If that's the case, then for sure.... all good.

The way the video is cut I had to watch it a couple times to see for sure.
No biggie.

Timidhc
07-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Yup the small dock got packed pretty quick. We were the first ones there at 6:30 and an hour later it was full of people. In the video I think you can even hear something to the effect of "now I'm trying to steal fish lol" when somebody casts their lure right next to us. That must be the third rod people thought I was using.
Everyone around us was catching fish too though. Goes to show what an awesome little spot that is.

iYearn
07-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Yup the small dock got packed pretty quick. We were the first ones there at 6:30 and an hour later it was full of people. In the video I think you can even hear something to the effect of "now I'm trying to steal fish lol" when somebody casts their lure right next to us. That must be the third rod people thought I was using.
Everyone around us was catching fish too though. Goes to show what an awesome little spot that is.

Good thing there isn't a grassy knoll or Area 51 in Sylvan Lake or this thread would never end! :sHa_shakeshout: