PDA

View Full Version : Salmon fishing in the Fraser

Michael_Brown
07-13-2017, 08:18 AM
I will be in the Hope area in a week or so and looking to try out the Fraser. Just returned from a week out in Kitimat and Prince Rupert and the Skeena was closed until the 14th. A few springs in the Kitimat but the river was a little high.
I have been trying to find up to date DFO information about the salmon fishery in the Fraser river concerning opening dates and retention(if any) but the BC fishing regs mixed with Federal regs are a little confusing because they are subject to changed based on DFO decisions.
Does anyone have a link to the most current DFO news releases on the Fraser or have an idea when the salmon fishery opens in the Hope area this year?
Not really concerned with retention limits as I release almost everything but can I fish the Fraser around Hope for salmon last week of July?

Marty S
07-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Quite something what a guy can find these days in a google search. However, I'd call my favourite tackle shop and ask them too.

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

Tofinoguy
07-14-2017, 10:13 AM
I will be in the Hope area in a week or so and looking to try out the Fraser. Just returned from a week out in Kitimat and Prince Rupert and the Skeena was closed until the 14th. A few springs in the Kitimat but the river was a little high.
I have been trying to find up to date DFO information about the salmon fishery in the Fraser river concerning opening dates and retention(if any) but the BC fishing regs mixed with Federal regs are a little confusing because they are subject to changed based on DFO decisions.
Does anyone have a link to the most current DFO news releases on the Fraser or have an idea when the salmon fishery opens in the Hope area this year?
Not really concerned with retention limits as I release almost everything but can I fish the Fraser around Hope for salmon last week of July?

It's closed except for sturgeon fishing

SNAPFisher
07-14-2017, 10:54 AM
It's closed except for sturgeon fishing

Did you get this from this notice system? If you did, you must be a better navigator than me. Is is just me or is this notice system a lot of buzz with not much direct communication. Made my brain hurt to try and figure out the Frazer. I would have had to call someone.

simmered
07-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Did you get this from this notice system? If you did, you must be a better navigator than me. Is is just me or is this notice system a lot of buzz with not much direct communication. Made my brain hurt to try and figure out the Frazer. I would have had to call someone.

Call Chilliwack dart and tackle. when I go down salmon and sturgeon fishing with my wifes family they always take me to that store. Nice guys and should be able to answer any of your questions

Michael_Brown
07-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Quite something what a guy can find these days in a google search. However, I'd call my favourite tackle shop and ask them too.

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

Yes google is cool but I had read this link before and it didn't have recent press notices about the Fraser.

Thanks for the responses, I will call a local bait shop.

Marty S
07-15-2017, 06:14 PM
I'm sure the DFO has all kinds of info for us, but quite the challenge to find what a guy is looking for. If it wasn't for Noel Gygers links I'd have never seen the neat organized charts for the Skeena test fishery, surely theres lots of test fisheries similar to it, especially on the Fraser, and therefore should be all kinds of info, but how does one find it all? Good thing for the local guys selling stuff that share info.

Ken07AOVette
07-15-2017, 08:05 PM
with such low return showing of salmon into the rivers and they being netted before they can spawn it wont be long and nothing will matter anyway. I heard while in Rupert that the netters were demanding another 2-4 weeks to net to get numbers required.
Salmon are going to be on the endangered list soon. :(

britman101
07-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Too bad your trip was not mid August or towards the end of August. This is a pink salmon year for the Fraser River and tributaries. Fun to catch and those fish bite a variety of lures and flies.

Fishing Lifer
07-16-2017, 08:23 AM
The Fraser River Panel meets at least weekly during the Sockeye salmon run and provides updates after each meeting. Go to psc.org and subscribe to the Fraser Panel Commission enews updates to get the latest updates straight to your mailbox.

The latest is http://www.psc.org/download/469/2017/8327/july-14-2017-2.pdf
Salmon fishing does not look promising for your trip according to the latest test nettings but good luck!

Bill