PDA

View Full Version : ticks

the local angler
07-16-2017, 09:50 PM
hey all i fish and camp alot and never really gave this issue much thought and recently friends are always checking themselves for wood ticks and such every time we venture outdoors. if you do encounter ticks, when they burrow into your skin i always thought you would feel it sorta like when you get bit by a mosquito. right? some say when they burrow into your skin you don't feel, it is this true?

carterM
07-16-2017, 09:58 PM
I just spent a year in Kenora, ON. The land of ticks and, well, more ticks. Had my first experience with finding one embedded on me and my wife then got her first experience with pulling it out.

Was sitting on the couch one night and ran my hand up the back of my neck and felt what seemed to be a rather large skin tag or something. Wasn't normal so I asked my wife to check it out. Her reaction pretty much told me what it was lol. She got to pull it out of me with tweezers. Nothing too serious.
Took it to there medical center to make sure it wasn't a deer tick (it wasn't) and they figured by the size and colour it had been there a couple of days...

But yeah, I figured you'd feel SOMETHING. But there was quite literally nothing. You can feel them crawling on you sometimes, but the bite was definitely not noticeable.

FISHBATTEREDBEER
07-16-2017, 10:10 PM
family members dog had one recently,it tested positive for limes

the local angler
07-16-2017, 10:21 PM
wow thats scary if you can't feel them "bite/burrow" into you.

tallieho
07-17-2017, 01:11 PM
They apparently secrete a numbing fluid.This year & last year the MB.P/Lands was terrible for them.My little dog squatted for a pee.Curious i was,i flipped her on her back & found 6 on her...Very scary understatement for sure...:shark:

singleshotom
07-17-2017, 01:55 PM
First time Ive heard of them east of Edmonton
a couple of gals and a few dogs...... We have had our experience's with them in southern Alberta, BC, and the States but never here before.......
seem to be moving more an more.
sst

A187
07-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Whats the best way to avoid being bitten by them when going out in the bush

apply deet?

the local angler
07-17-2017, 04:30 PM
not only that now i worry about putting back packs or tackle bags on the ground then having stowaways on the bag then infecting the household.

dantheman93
07-17-2017, 04:54 PM
deet will help apply generously. they can cling like velcro so clothing is a pretty big factor too

tallieho
07-17-2017, 06:00 PM
deet will help apply generously. they can cling like velcro so clothing is a pretty big factor too

If you can get a hold of a product called Permetherin[bayer] Bass pro,Wamart,Cabelas.You spray on clothing,used by US Armed forces...

SamSteele
07-17-2017, 06:33 PM
If you can get a hold of a product called Permetherin[bayer] Bass pro,Wamart,Cabelas.You spray on clothing,used by US Armed forces...

Greenhouses/garden centres often have this for potato beetles. Just bought some on Sunday. It is a powder. Just don't want to eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallieho
07-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Greenhouses/garden centres often have this for potato beetles. Just bought some on Sunday. It is a powder. Just don't want to eat it.

Great news thanks..I'll be checking out the shops Calgary tommorrow

SamSteele
07-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Great news thanks..I'll be checking out the shops Calgary tommorrow

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/fa61545b0201eb1f26493e8b381e2072.jpg

That's the stuff I got.

the local angler
07-17-2017, 08:53 PM
cool thanks for the info on the product

Kyle
07-17-2017, 09:18 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170718/fa61545b0201eb1f26493e8b381e2072.jpg

That's the stuff I got.

What do you use that for? Hopefully not on your skin :sHa_sarcasticlol:

SamSteele
07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Haha. I use it for the garden and potato beetles, but guys were looking for something for their bags and such to keep the ticks from hitching a ride.

To be clear, I don't advocate putting this stuff on your body. But you can use it to keep ticks off of stuff.

goose
07-18-2017, 11:16 AM
You cannot legally buy permathin in Canada any longer.

:sHa_shakeshout:Goose

TheHotChili
07-24-2017, 02:14 PM
hey all i fish and camp alot and never really gave this issue much thought and recently friends are always checking themselves for wood ticks and such every time we venture outdoors. if you do encounter ticks, when they burrow into your skin i always thought you would feel it sorta like when you get bit by a mosquito. right? some say when they burrow into your skin you don't feel, it is this true?

Mountain Equipment Co-Op carries some bug repellent that comes in a white tube. Its a cream based repellent, that has 30% deet....Mosquito , black fly, horse fly, deer fly, and tick repellent, and this stuff doesnt stink to high heaven..
Blood sucking bugs love me, and havnt had a single problem when using that stuff...

Wearing gaiters, and tucking in your clothing will also help...

calgarychef
07-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Clothing treated with permethrin sure does keep bugs off.... The us military uses it and their guys seem ok....ish.

Headdamage
07-25-2017, 10:22 AM
https://www.amazon.ca/Scientific-Anglers-Ultrathon-Clothing-Repellant/dp/B003YCMZQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500999693&sr=8-2&keywords=Permethrin