PDA

View Full Version : $185 fine for traveling with the drain plug in your boat

FISHBATTEREDBEER
07-17-2017, 06:57 PM
I was told this at the launch at LLB a month ago,thats like 3 15 packs of beer!!! Heads up !!

hillbillyreefer
07-17-2017, 07:35 PM
I was told this at the launch at LLB a month ago,thats like 3 15 packs of beer!!! Heads up !!

Good lord, what kind of beer do you drink?

What's the reason for that fine? Aid in stopping the spread of mussels and other nasties?

FISHBATTEREDBEER
07-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Good lord, what kind of beer do you drink?

What's the reason for that fine? Aid in stopping the spread of mussels and other nasties?

I drink beer like water:happy0034:

Yes it's to stop the spread of evasive species

bigfis
07-17-2017, 07:53 PM
The fine is up to $100 000. Was talking to people at the water craft inspection station and said they had given fines up to $4200 that day.

JareS
07-17-2017, 08:12 PM
The reason is to prevent the spread of Invasive Zebra/ Quagga Mussels. Once eggs hatch, the microscopic larvae are transported from one waterbody to another by boaters. Impossible to see with the naked eye and able to live in undersirable conditions, including out of the water for many days.

panko
07-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Oh my what sense does this make man I can't figure this one out.
Your government at work.
As long as they feel all worm and cozy when they fall asleep that there saving our water ways sounds like a cash grab to me.
All this is going to do is have some poor smuck forget to put his plug in and sink his boat

RavYak
07-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Your government at work.
As long as they feel all worm and cozy when they fall asleep that there saving our water ways sounds like a cash grab to me.
All this is going to do is have some poor smuck forget to put his plug in and sink his boat

Buddy just about did it with his kayak last weekend. Forgot to put plugs back in and didn't realize it until he was half way out in the lake. Had to swim it part way back...

Seen another boat launch and he had just pulled away and was gonna wait for other buddy to park the boat when all of a sudden he started yelling to get the trailer back in the water. Boat was filling up and they had to pull it up on shore to drain it out for a while...

Such a stupid law imo. I understand having to drain the water but the ticket should be regarding having standing water in the boat not the drain plug...

JareS
07-17-2017, 08:35 PM
Your government at work.

Or that poor smuck (or an ignorant smuck) will introduce invasive mussels and ruin the aqautic ecosystem in Western Canada. :snapoutofit:

panko
07-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Oh my Jares I wish I was as smart as u but please buddy what r you going to do with all the birds flying from lake to lake, or how about the thousands and thousands of leeches imported from minisota, or how about all the boats imported into this country daily and the 24 hour inspection station at the sweet grass border that supposed to b manned 24/7 that isn't . But you make sure that you pull your plug out that's really going to help.

CBintheNorth
07-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Buddy just about did it with his kayak last weekend. Forgot to put plugs back in and didn't realize it until he was half way out in the lake. Had to swim it part way back...

Seen another boat launch and he had just pulled away and was gonna wait for other buddy to park the boat when all of a sudden he started yelling to get the trailer back in the water. Boat was filling up and they had to pull it up on shore to drain it out for a while...

Such a stupid law imo. I understand having to drain the water but the ticket should be regarding having standing water in the boat not the drain plug...

I started my boating life learning to pull the plug every time. Good practice to ensure your boat's not leaking from somewhere and also drains any water that may be sitting in the bilge holding moisture in your boat. I use a key-ring style plug and use a short piece of stainless braided wire and crimp to hold it on so it's always hanging there. Haven't forgot to put it in in 100's, if not 1000's of launches.

I think the whole debacle is pointless really, and I've told every person working a checkstop what I think. Unless they're going to man every entrance point into the province 24/7/365 they may as well pack up and go home.
Every attendant I have asked has at least one story about someone caught with an infestation. I say "with that many cases of infested boats being caught between 9am and 6pm, how many do you think have made it through outside of those hours without being stopped?" Then they stare at you like a deer in the headlights.
The last fish cop I spoke with had the only decent response; "We can't stop it, we're just hoping to prolong it long enough for something to come along that can target them and kill them."
At least he was honest.

JareS
07-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Oh my Jares I wish I was as smart as u but please buddy what r you going to do with all the birds flying from lake to lake, or how about the thousands and thousands of leeches imported from minisota, or how about all the boats imported into this country daily and the 24 hour inspection station at the sweet grass border that supposed to b manned 24/7 that isn't . But you make sure that you pull your plug out that's really going to help.

Maybe if you did some research you'd realize that the massive expansion of their range is caused by HUMANS transporting contaminated watercraft.. (ie- contaminated with veligers in WATER)

No, the preventative approaches by the government are not enough. Due to lack of funding
but the government is actually spending money to prevent boaters from introducing them and costing the economy hundreds of millions when it inevitably does spread West.

Grizzly Adams
07-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Went boating with a guy once, who forgot to replace it. Hey Les, why is there water in the back of the boat ? :lol:

Grizz

burbotman
07-17-2017, 09:31 PM

What is stupid is having to pull the plug on my 10' Jon boat transported upside down...... I questioned fish and wildlife at the sportsman show in Calgary and they stated I would be ticketed if I did not have it out. I guess good info as I hadn't pulled the plug before when transporting it upside down on my truck rack. No room for descretion or common sense in the application of this law. (For the record I do not disagree with their efforts)

Ken07AOVette
07-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Coming back from BC I stopped in BC then was told to go to Hinton for inspection. The guy there was good, but the girl thought she was far too important. They asked what lake I was coming from, :sHa_sarcasticlol: I said Pacific. They clued in, and said that my boat being only in Salt water was not affected in anyway. Then they said they were going to inspect it anyway :confused:
I told them that it was a good program and I agreed, but being exempt because of salt water only I was annoyed that they were holding me up.
She crawled under the boat checking with her little flashlight, and I asked the guy if he could give me a form to show the next one so I would not have to go through all this again.
"We don't do that, you will have to be inspected again, it is mandatory at every site" :confused::confused:
She then demanded that I lower the leg on the main engine, to which I refused. I said I was not going to board the boat, move the crab traps, coolers, suitcases, spare tire, just to turn on the power so she could practise clearing a big boat at my expense.
She started in on me about having to inspect inside the leg, and I reminded her again it was a salt water boat, and that SHE said I was exempt.
Again I said, I agree with the program, but....
she jumped in immediately with 'BUT WHAT?'
But I am coming from Salt water in a 12,000lb vessel that obviously doesn't see fresh water.
She cleared me to go, and he told me to wait while he printed my report??? Haha what?
You mean the form I asked for that you do not provide?
My plug was out, no infractions and on my way, took 20 minutes.
Give someone a little power......:rolleye2:

couleefolk
07-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Anybody have an idea what the fine is if you have waterlogged foam under the floor in your boat? After hearing of how much extra weight some folks had in their boats due to waterlogged foam, I checked mine and sure enough, some places had water pooled just under the floor boards (which appeared to be rotting my floor as well). Water skiers/tubers getting in often drain a bit of water off as well. So you drive down the bumpy highway and every now and then the pooled water must spill over and drain, wouldn't you think? I wonder how often they check the back of a minivan? I know my father once brought home a lot of water in the back seat storage area of his Odyssey, found a few days later when it started to smell.

RavYak
07-17-2017, 10:05 PM
What is stupid is having to pull the plug on my 10' Jon boat transported upside down...... I questioned fish and wildlife at the sportsman show in Calgary and they stated I would be ticketed if I did not have it out. I guess good info as I hadn't pulled the plug before when transporting it upside down on my truck rack. No room for descretion or common sense in the application of this law. (For the record I do not disagree with their efforts)

Yeah this is the kind of stuff that I think is absolutely stupid. Just like how one stop I was at commented that I should have the drain plug out on my kayak and that they could ticket me... I told them it wasn't a proper drain plug(doesn't drain water unless you hold kayak vertically) and that it was plastic and I wouldn't be removing it all the time risking stripping the threads and losing it.

I looked up the law when I got home and it specifically references drain plugs in the lower hull or bilge. My "drain plug" is above the waterline so I won't be removing it unless the law changes...

I completely agree with the check stops and trying to stop/slow down invasive species but I disagree in how they are doing it with regards to this drain plug law.

Xiph0id
07-17-2017, 10:51 PM
I've always practiced removing the drain after coming out of water and put in when launching. I've never forgot and always have 2 spares in the boat.

There's always a bit of water that comes out when I pull the plug but there's also some that stays in as the plug does not drain every last bit.

Am I in compliance?

CNP
07-18-2017, 01:35 AM
Coming back from BC I stopped in BC then was told to go to Hinton for inspection. The guy there was good, but the girl thought she was far too important. They asked what lake I was coming from, :sHa_sarcasticlol: I said Pacific. They clued in, and said that my boat being only in Salt water was not affected in anyway. Then they said they were going to inspect it anyway :confused:
I told them that it was a good program and I agreed, but being exempt because of salt water only I was annoyed that they were holding me up.
She crawled under the boat checking with her little flashlight, and I asked the guy if he could give me a form to show the next one so I would not have to go through all this again.
"We don't do that, you will have to be inspected again, it is mandatory at every site" :confused::confused:
She then demanded that I lower the leg on the main engine, to which I refused. I said I was not going to board the boat, move the crab traps, coolers, suitcases, spare tire, just to turn on the power so she could practise clearing a big boat at my expense.
She started in on me about having to inspect inside the leg, and I reminded her again it was a salt water boat, and that SHE said I was exempt.
Again I said, I agree with the program, but....
she jumped in immediately with 'BUT WHAT?'
But I am coming from Salt water in a 12,000lb vessel that obviously doesn't see fresh water.
She cleared me to go, and he told me to wait while he printed my report??? Haha what?
You mean the form I asked for that you do not provide?
My plug was out, no infractions and on my way, took 20 minutes.
Give someone a little power......:rolleye2:

Displaying a low info response to an inspection. Refuse? Failing to assist an official in the conduct of an inspection is a violation of the Fisheries Act. Read the (Fisheries Alberta Act). There is no form that exempts a watercraft from inspection. It's a proof of inspection form.......that's all it is and all it's meant to be. Mandatory means mandatory.

panko
07-18-2017, 06:24 AM
JareS these goofs are sitting in a parking lot stopping people that have been at there local lake and giving out fines cause they never removed there plug. Oh man. Mean while every winter and spring the snow birds in this country have been traveling back and forth. As long as they DONT go threw the border between the hours 8/5 your good to go no 24 hour inspection. That's where u need to b inspected
But back to the goofs in the parking lot so I pull up my plug is out, inspectors look yep your good to go mean while my hoses for both my live wells have water in them.
To sit in a parking lot handing out fines that's good JareS u know u and your guberment know best.
But then again I'm ignorant.

Fishslayer99
07-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Its going to be tricky to enforce this one as they had a misprint on the regulations prior to changing it. How many people have a copy of the book before they made the correction? Id like to see how they figure they can give you a ticket based on the contradictory wording in the regulations book.

Here is the corrected version:

"Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug pulled while in transport."

Here is the original that many still have a copy of, including myself.

"Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug plugged while in transport."

I know if I received a fine I would be fighting it, mind you I always remove my drain plug while I transport. It really makes me wonder who they have proofreading this?

FlyTheory
07-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Or that poor smuck (or an ignorant smuck) will introduce invasive mussels and ruin the aqautic ecosystem in Western Canada. :snapoutofit:

You get it!

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Displaying a low info response to an inspection. Refuse? Failing to assist an official in the conduct of an inspection is a violation of the Fisheries Act. Read the (Fisheries Alberta Act). There is no form that exempts a watercraft from inspection. It's a proof of inspection form.......that's all it is and all it's meant to be. Mandatory means mandatory.

I asked for a form from the one I was at showing I had been inspected that day so I did not have to stop and do it all again the same day. That's all. Read what I wrote.
Failing to assist an official? I was told OCEAN BOATS are exempt from inspection then they did it anyway.
If they demanded to check every fishlocker and drop the engine they could have stood there and unloaded everything from the 2 week trip to the ground, then loaded everything again after they found nothing at all. They did not want to do that, so they said I was clear.

kevinhits
07-18-2017, 10:23 AM
I aways take my plug out as soon as I get out of the water....but the next time I head out I put it back in. By this time, everything is cleaned and dryed out which is why I do not understand pulling the plug on your way out for the next fishing trip. However, I totally understand when coming off a body of water.

Scott h
07-18-2017, 11:09 AM
I've always practiced removing the drain after coming out of water and put in when launching. I've never forgot and always have 2 spares in the boat.

There's always a bit of water that comes out when I pull the plug but there's also some that stays in as the plug does not drain every last bit.

Am I in compliance?

X1
I always pull my drain plug at the ramp and leave it out til the next time. When I jack up the trailer to unhook there is always a little water that comes out.
Leaving the plug out seams pretty minimal if it prevents even one infestation.

bubba 96
07-18-2017, 11:42 AM
I asked for a form from the one I was at showing I had been inspected that day so I did not have to stop and do it all again the same day. That's all. Read what I wrote.
Failing to assist an official? I was told OCEAN BOATS are exempt from inspection then they did it anyway.
If they demanded to check every fishlocker and drop the engine they could have stood there and unloaded everything from the 2 week trip to the ground, then loaded everything again after they found nothing at all. They did not want to do that, so they said I was clear.

Don't let it get to ya ken, when I worked in that area last yr the first thing people told me was to not pay any attention to the "pass holes"..they said there must be something in the water down in the pass.

SNAPFisher
07-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Sounds like a mess overall. One moment you are exempt and the next they are still checking stuff...
Maybe they figured they need the practice :)
Even them not ensuring you dropped the main leg is confusing. Are they checking ....or skimming. Yikes. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the real scenario being found.

SNAPFisher
07-18-2017, 12:42 PM

LOL! Arrest that man!!!
Sounds like they were all over the place and not really following anything.

By the way, have you been through these inspections yourself? With your own boat?

FISHBATTEREDBEER
07-18-2017, 01:05 PM
It's all a money grab,some launches require you to submerge your rear tires of your vehicle into the launch,when's the last time they checked your vehicle? These idiots feel around the engine etc like they're blind,it's a nice act they put on in "the interest of AB lakes",just watch them .It's a rehearsed act.

Spooner
07-18-2017, 01:42 PM
You can now get a watercraft inspection passport for travel between AB-BC.

That way you only need to be inspected once on your route and they just see that your passport is stamped.

This is for my CANOE.

Also have a handful of paperwork for traveling through MT-ID-WA.

Clean your boat, pull the plug, and suck it up.

If you see someone with a filthy boat, vent your frustration there.

Our southern interior lakes have far fewer nutrients than eastern lakes. The impacts of zebra musscles alone would be devastating.

panko
07-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Your right spooner lets do the inspections but let's do something this bull s is hard to take there not doing anything.
If these mussels can't handle vinegar and water mixture then let's do that.
If they cant handle bleach and water mixture, then let's do that but let's get it together. Cause this is waist of everybody's time and money
Your just putting lipstick on a pig

maximusII
07-18-2017, 03:49 PM
I went thought from AB to BC and a police office popped out with a black lab that was "Trained in sniffing out zebra mussels" I have a feeling that dog was trained to sniff for a whole lot more. That would be a real shame to get pulled over for a boat check and the drug dog sniffs out your stash.

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2017, 04:45 PM
I went thought from AB to BC and a police office popped out with a black lab that was "Trained in sniffing out zebra mussels" I have a feeling that dog was trained to sniff for a whole lot more. That would be a real shame to get pulled over for a boat check and the drug dog sniffs out your stash.

They tried that with my boat in Vermilion once. I told them their dog was not boarding my boat. Again the woman in charge got snotty, and I reminded them it was an ocean boat, the last time it was in the water was July the previous year, and this was May. I said get booties on your dog and have at it, until then pound sand.
They then said I was exempt again. :angry3:

Mackinaw
07-18-2017, 07:59 PM
They tried that with my boat in Vermilion once. I told them their dog was not boarding my boat. Again the woman in charge got snotty, and I reminded them it was an ocean boat, the last time it was in the water was July the previous year, and this was May. I said get booties on your dog and have at it, until then pound sand.

You seam to have problems when women are in charge...there appears to be a trend..

I have been checked 4 times never an issue.

Mack

CNP
07-18-2017, 08:14 PM

I bet you did:thinking-006:

CNP
07-18-2017, 08:20 PM

This entire thread is a cornucopia of misinformation:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1596/26002521120_9aae78ea21_z.jpg

Brian Adams
07-18-2017, 08:20 PM
I aways take my plug out as soon as I get out of the water....but the next time I head out I put it back in. By this time, everything is cleaned and dryed out which is why I do not understand pulling the plug on your way out for the next fishing trip. However, I totally understand when coming off a body of water.

They are supposed to know you are on your way out?
Just pull the plug.

CNP
07-18-2017, 08:22 PM
LOL! Arrest that man!!!
Sounds like they were all over the place and not really following anything.

By the way, have you been through these inspections yourself? With your own boat?

Yes.

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2017, 09:21 PM
You seam to have problems when women are in charge...there appears to be a trend..

I have been checked 4 times never an issue.

Mack

You seem to get off following me around and bitching about everything I post.

Good for you Sally.

Ken

SNAPFisher
07-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Yes.

How many times? And what was it, a canoe?

CNP
07-18-2017, 10:30 PM
How many times? And what was it, a canoe?

Am I supposed to breakdown and reveal all after being subjected to an exhaustive interrogation?

Why don't you tell us all about yourself and how this thread threatens you.

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Train wreck, inevitable as always.

well done guys :rolleye2:

Mackinaw
07-18-2017, 11:09 PM
You seem to get off following me around and bitching about everything I post.

Good for you Sally.

Ken

But you make it so easy .

Mack

Ken07AOVette
07-18-2017, 11:44 PM
But you make it so easy .

Mack

What's that? Upping your post count for no reason or your incessant trolling?

Grow up

Mackinaw
07-19-2017, 06:58 AM
What's that? Upping your post count for no reason or your incessant trolling?

Grow up

See what i mean you tell someone to grow up just after you childishly called him. Sally.
And why would I care about my post count is that important to YOU!!!

I just thought it was funny that you seem to have problems going through something that is so simple. I think the process is a good idea. Pulling my plug every time is a pain because of location but i will do it

Mack

SNAPFisher
07-19-2017, 08:08 AM
Am I supposed to breakdown and reveal all after being subjected to an exhaustive interrogation?

Why don't you tell us all about yourself and how this thread threatens you.

Figured as much. You can take a thread sideways by turning a casual conversation into something else. Thanks for coming out.

CNP
07-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Figured as much. You can take a thread sideways by turning a casual conversation into something else. Thanks for coming out.

Wrong. Some participants of this thread don't agree with the programme, by extension could care less about preserving Alberta's waterbodies and deride the officials who conduct it and others promoting it. Do you see yourself in that category?

Okotokian
07-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Oh my Jares I wish I was as smart as u but .

It doesn't take that much intelligence to remember to drain a boat and pull the plug. Perhaps write a reminder note and tape it to your dashboard. I stopped at a check station yesterday and the gave me a floating key holder that says "Pull the plug" in big letters. All kinds of different ways to help you to remember this 5 second task. I mean, you take the time to drain and dry out the live well, the bilge, etc. anyway.

graybeard
07-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Went boating with a guy once, who forgot to replace it. Hey Les, why is there water in the back of the boat ? :lol:

Grizz

Hahaha, the new regs state "remove the plug when traveling" on land only though....lol

SNAPFisher
07-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Wrong. Some participants of this thread don't agree with the programme, by extension could care less about preserving Alberta's waterbodies and deride the officials who conduct it and others promoting it. Do you see yourself in that category?

See, you really take this another direction. Like there is some conspiracy against the "program" and people that want to ruin our lakes. We are all the same here. I doubt there is a single person on this post, or AO for that matter, that doesn't want to preserve our waterways. The fact that you just admitted, again, that you think some are, shows how out of touch and accusational you are. This is a fishing forum, we are all pretty much like minded. No need to stir things up alright?

For me, I've only been stopped coming back from the foothills or Jasper in my 12 foot aluminum since I'm usually fishing lakes that are electric motors only. Not exactly a hard water craft for them to inspect. Kind of a waste of too much time on my little boat when I see others with full sized, live well, bilge pump systems, etc. That spend about the same amount of time there. At least I have a great collection of shammies now :)

If I came through with my bigger boat, I would expect to spend some additional time there. It doesn't sound like that is happening and Ken's example shows a real lake of consistency. So how effective is this going to be at stopping the spread?

Simong
07-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Your government at work.
Roll of electrical tape, tape the plug to the wheel of your boat or tiller.
also you should make sure your boat is drained as the weight of water floating around can cause dangerous conditions for you when driving
Lake Ontario is over run with zebra mussels and they kill everything since they filter feed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette
07-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Roll of electrical tape, tape the plug to the wheel of your boat or tiller.
also you should make sure your boat is drained as the weight of water floating around can cause dangerous conditions for you when driving
Lake Ontario is over run with zebra mussels and they kill everything since they filter feed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have in big black letters PLUG right at the boarding ladder. Taping it to the wheel is very smart.

Is there any way to kill them? Is the lake ruined forever?

CNP
07-19-2017, 10:29 AM
See, you really take this another direction. Like there is some conspiracy against the "program" and people that want to ruin our lakes. We are all the same here. I doubt there is a single person on this post, or AO for that matter, that doesn't want to preserve our waterways. The fact that you just admitted, again, that you think some are, shows how out of touch and accusational you are. This is a fishing forum, we are all pretty much like minded. No need to stir things up alright?

For me, I've only been stopped coming back from the foothills or Jasper in my 12 foot aluminum since I'm usually fishing lakes that are electric motors only. Not exactly a hard water craft for them to inspect. Kind of a waste of too much time on my little boat when I see others with full sized, live well, bilge pump systems, etc. That spend about the same amount of time there. At least I have a great collection of shammies now :)

If I came through with my bigger boat, I would expect to spend some additional time there. It doesn't sound like that is happening and Ken's example shows a real lake of consistency. So how effective is this going to be at stopping the spread?

You seem to think that everything that anyone says on AO is factual. The examples of he said/she said are just one persons renditions of what happened.......with a little embellishment me thinks:thinking-006: I'm not accusing anyone of making anything up, but all the accusations here are one sided. Like I've been saying, this whole thread is lacking credibility.......I've yet to see proof of one person (in AB) who has received a "ticket" for any of the infractions mentioned here. The reason for not seeing any evidence of a ticket is there aren't any "tickets" being issued in AB. LEO's may issue an appearance notice, to appear in court or give a warning. I've seen written warnings but no tickets. Personally I'd rather receive a ticket than have to go to court in a location hundreds of km's away from home on a day when I should be working. The only "ticket" that I can think of that could be issued is one for failing to obey traffic signs...........i.e., those signs that say mandatory watercraft inspection ahead. I've waited in line while larger boats were being flushed...........my little "clean/drained/dry" fishing boat went through speedily. My experiences are certainly different than others......................and................... ....there is no such thing as "exempt" from inspection.

SNAPFisher
07-19-2017, 10:31 AM
I have in big black letters PLUG right at the boarding ladder. Taping it to the wheel is very smart.

Yep, that is a good idea until I get used to it.

MathewsArcher
07-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Mine had a ring on it and gets carabineered to the keys. Can't grab the keys to the boat without grabbing the plug.

JareS
07-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Nope unfortunately there is no way to stop them once they've entered a waterbody.

Only option is manual removal (scraping) just to keep them off the structure, but this only keeps them at bay, they will grow back.

Exposure to dry conditions for 30+ days will kill them, say on a boat or dock etc

SNAPFisher
07-19-2017, 10:40 AM
You seem to think that everything that anyone says on AO is factual. The examples of he said/she said are just one persons renditions of what happened.......with a little embellishment me thinks:thinking-006: I'm not accusing anyone of making anything up, but all the accusations here are one sided. Like I've been saying, this whole thread is lacking credibility.......I've yet to see proof of one person (in AB) who has received a "ticket" for any of the infractions mentioned here. The reason for not seeing any evidence of a ticket is there aren't any "tickets" being issued in AB. LEO's may issue an appearance notice, to appear in court or give a warning. I've seen written warnings but no tickets. Personally I'd rather receive a ticket than have to go to court in a location hundreds of km's away from home on a day when I should be working. The only "ticket" that I can think of that could be issued is one for failing to obey traffic signs...........i.e., those signs that say mandatory watercraft inspection ahead. I've waited in line while larger boats were being flushed...........my little "clean/drained/dry" fishing boat went through speedily. My experiences are certainly different than others......................and................... ....there is no such thing as "exempt" from inspection.

Who are you talking about? Ken for stating that they said exempt to him and the Op for posting a fine amount...or fine at all? It would help if you were more clear and direct rather than the long winded and, yes, accusational posts.

Ken07AOVette
07-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Freedom55
07-19-2017, 11:48 AM
With the exception of the bigus dickus contest, this thread serves as a reminder that a serious problem exists and the public awareness campaign is like a stupid television ad that angers us but causes us to remember the name of the product anyway. Like that annoying 'Gary' from Canadian Tire.

It occurs to me that anyone who has had a boat for longer than zebra mussels have been making the news has forgotten the bilge plug. ONCE. It would be my guess that if a person feels the need to speed excessively every time he gets into his truck then a little thing like being held up by a stop/check would drive him crazy.

The bit about the upside-down tinner on the rack needing the plug out is a bit perplexing. That one needs to be challenged in court.

SNAPFisher
07-19-2017, 01:05 PM
With the exception of the bigus dickus contest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw

:)

To the Op on the original post:
Pull the Plug! It's the Law
In Alberta, it is illegal to transport your watercraft with the drain plug still in place, as outlined under subsection 6.1 of the provincial Fisheries Ministerial Regulation.
Watercraft users must demonstrate upon inspection that their watercraft has been drained of standing water. Those who fail to comply may be subject to a court appearance and fined up to $100,000.
To review the Regulation, visit the Alberta Queen's Printer website at:

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/boating/clean-drain-dry-your-boat.aspx

Ken, if I'm interpreting this right, the bill / law allows them to check your boat regardless - no exemptions. You can get to the good parts of the Bill 13 if you search for "inspect"

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.aspx?p=bills_status&selectbill=013&legl=28&session=3

Inspection stations for invasive species
33.2(1) The Minister may establish inspection stations on or
immediately adjacent to highways within the meaning of the
Traffic Safety Act for the purpose of carrying out the legislative
intent described in section 1(4).
(2) Where the Minister establishes an inspection station, the
Minister shall, by means of signs that the Government
establishes, have its presence identified at the approaches to it
so that it is clearly visible to oncoming traffic.
(3) An individual operating a conveyance of a kind specified in
an order under section 32(7)(a) that is approaching an
inspection station that is open for inspections shall stop the
conveyance, submit to an inspection and otherwise comply with
any other applicable rules made under section 32(7).
(4) An official at an inspection station may conduct any
decontamination of a conveyance that the official regards as
necessary to reflect the intent referred to in subsection (1).
(5) In addition to complying with section 26(5), a person
referred to in that subsection in a conveyance shall assist the
official to effect the decontamination under subsection (4).
Offences and Penalties
Obstruction
34 A person shall not obstruct an official in the performance
of the official’s duties or the exercise of his or her powers under
this Act.

I haven't gone through an inspection station with a boat like your's. Yes, I do have "boat envy" :)
Mine has been easy with the little water crafts but I did notice varying degrees on bigger boats. Mostly as quick as my little boat...

SNAPFisher
07-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Since this is really about the spread of invasive species, how many of you are doing this (especially the bold one):

Clean

Clean and inspect watercraft, trailer and gear
Remove all plants, animals, and mud at the access area or dock
At home, soak your gear in a bleach solution for at least one minute
Rinse, scrub or pressure wash your boat away from storm drains, ditches or waterways

Drain

On land, before leaving the waterbody, drain all water from:
Bait buckets
Ballasts
Bilges
Coolers
Internal compartments
Livewells, etc

The Spank
07-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Back in the late 80's when I drove highway trucks I was crossing the border late one night from the US to Canada at Ft Erie. There was a LONG delay in being able to declare loads and get on our way and the parking area was severely congested as a result. When my turn finally came to speak to the customs broker and have my load cleared to go I said to the guy "man it's busy here tonight?" He said "we had a truck driver from Tennessee in earlier tonight and the customs agents wanted to put their dog in his truck to do a check. He asked them not to as he was allergic and had to live in the truck but would happily allow them to search his truck all they wanted but please no dog". He said "it turned into an argument between the Canada Customs agent and the driver and the agent decided to open the door and let the dog in against the man's wishes", he continued "that's when all hell broke loose, when the door was pulled open and the dog put it's paws on the fuel tank steps the driver raised a handgun unseen at his side and shot the dog in the head!" He said "it's been rather chaotic here tonight since!!"

As for pulling a drain plug? I always have as long as I've owned a boat. I unplug it when I am at the stern tying down or hooking the leg into the transom saver. Any water that may have gotten in drains out and the boat stays dry and clean. Only takes a second to pull it and a second to put it in prior to launching.

THERICARDO
07-19-2017, 05:33 PM
I have zero issues with these checks but last time coming from Sask of weekend fishing I was in a 50/50 situation.. Was clear blue skies but when I was leaving Saskatoon it rained for almost 2 hrs before cleared up.. when they asked me to drop my engine lots of water started pouring out and the questions began... I explained it was raining in sask on my drive, Thank Christ Wife made a Snapchat of the hail so was able to show them and they calmed down instantly... My question to them was what if my wife didn't have that proof? to which neither could give me an answer

Talking moose
07-19-2017, 06:08 PM
What year did this program start? Seems like it's taking a long time to iron the bugs out of the program.

THERICARDO
07-19-2017, 06:10 PM
What year did this program start? Seems like it's taking a long time to iron the bugs out of the program.

Mandatory this year, last year they had them setup mid season I believe

Talking moose
07-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Mandatory this year, last year they had them setup mid season I believe

Oh ok. That's not too bad then. I thought it has been in place a few years already.

huntsfurfish
07-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Oh ok. That's not too bad then. I thought it has been in place a few years already.

This should have been in place 5 to 10 years ago. To little to late.

But it is better than nothing and I will try to comply even though my boat never leaves Southern Alberta.

Delavan
07-20-2017, 06:59 AM
I'm living in Medicine Hat and if I go past the Dunmore scale on the Trans Canadian Highway and back I have to stop with my CANOE.

In the end, as I'm going to Cypress Hills (Alberta side) they have no issues, but I still need to stop. They are more suspicious about watercraft that seen water on the Saskatchewan side.

Every time I go in, I ask them what kind the freebies they have for me! Last time, they said "good thing you stopped, we have an officer on duty today".

sure enough, the conservation officer was chasing folks on the highway and coming back with a "victim/offender" to get him thru the checks...most likely he got a ticket too...

abhunter8
07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

I agree. I have a 12' aluminum that i flip upside down to transport in the back of my truck. All water drained out when i flip it over... isn't that the point of the drain plug! My boat is older and the drain plug is permanent and not removeable. If i get a ticket for this i will fight it, again the purpose to drain all the water and flipping the boat over accomplishes this!

SNAPFisher
07-21-2017, 02:42 PM
I agree. I have a 12' aluminum that i flip upside down to transport in the back of my truck. All water drained out when i flip it over... isn't that the point of the drain plug! My boat is older and the drain plug is permanent and not removeable. If i get a ticket for this i will fight it, again the purpose to drain all the water and flipping the boat over accomplishes this!

Permanent? What kind of boat is this?

You think common sense would prevail in your case and you would not be ticketed if the boat is drained.

petecatch
07-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Ironic, many here now whining were the same who thought the program was great due to the cute inspectors, free stickers / freebies given out and no fines early on.

It's an ineffectual program to search your private property and harass you multiple times in a day without a warrant at any time and any place, owning a boat is now considered a privilege, even the family with the kids inflatable in the car get harassed.

The boat dogs are also drug trained, they are also trained at the same place. The program is run by a couple of dog loving environmental liberals who have the ear of the minister. They created their own jobs and infrastructure around the premise they can stop invasive species, which they've already shown they can't. They figured that if they introduced it gradually with a positive spin at first, that no-one would complain. If they were serious about it, they would have provided free washing stations at lakes (like Parks Canada does).

They have less rights to search you vehicle than your boat. Seriously, what did you expect when you rolled over and welcomed this program?

BiggieB
07-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Everyone freaking out about these boat check stops need to just relax, they are just trying to prevent/prolong the inevitable they don't want to invade a persons space or take away rights... put the tin foil hats away. :fighting0030:

Have any of the people saying the dogs that sniff for zeebra mussels can also sniff for narcotics have first hand proof (Aka have YOU been caught or have YOU seen it happen at a boat check station?) Until such time its just hear say so please don't spread propaganda..

Yes these programs have problems but its a work in progress, just like all programs were at one point. I personally have no problem pulling over and having them check me and all i ever have is a canoe, kayak, or a small 12ft tinner on the top of my truck, and my dad is the same and he has a 15ft Timothy eaton...

Are people in such a rush that you can't take at most an hour (check stop is usually about 20 minutes) out of your day so that we can help try and protect what of our environment we have left.. i can understand for truck drivers who are driving for a living being annoyed but people who are pulling personal recreational watercraft whats the rush?

Okotokian
07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
I have found the inspectors I've dealt with to be really nice and helpful, and they haven't pulled the boat apart trying to find a drop of water so they can write a ticket. It seems to be almost more a strategy to talk to boat owners and give them information than any huge enforcement and ticketing campaign.

Unclerj
07-26-2017, 02:55 PM
We have three kayaks and a paddleboard. One kayak has a drain plug, but as Ravyak said, it is above the water line. The other two yaks do not have plugs.

I transport two of them on my roof rack, one on a J rack and my fishing kayak sits flat, cockpit up on a Thule rack. When it rains, both fill up with rain water.

I've been inspected many times without issues, the last being about a week ago.

But with the drain plug rule in effect, does anyone know whether I'm expected to install plugs in my two yaks that don't have them?

Okotokian
07-26-2017, 03:09 PM
But with the drain plug rule in effect, does anyone know whether I'm expected to install plugs in my two yaks that don't have them?

Yes you must. And also drill a hole in your paddle board and install a plug in it too. I'm getting my canoe done next week.

I'm kidding.

huntsfurfish
07-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Yes you must. And also drill a hole in your paddle board and install a plug in it too. I'm getting my canoe done next week.

I'm kidding.

Oh no. Went out and drilled the holes already.

Didnt see the I'm kidding till now:)