PDA

View Full Version : trout

dantheman93
07-23-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm from up north so i know basically nothing about catching those little mountain fishies. Its something I've been wanting to do lately. i do not know how to fly fish either. i guess main question i have is next time i'm headin south should i bring my tinner? or could a non fly fisherman catch from on shore?

Kurt505
07-23-2017, 11:41 AM
If you're talking about stocked ponds, all you need is some powerbait and a pickerel rig, I like to use the rainbow colored stuff (green/yellow/orange swirl with sparkles) and swap out the J hooks with some small #6 (I think) sharp Mustad hooks.

If you're fishing small streams I'd suggest small mepps or panther martins with shinny brass, in yellows, blacks, oranges and maybe greens.

If fishing larger streams and rivers I'd suggest a buzz bomb tipped off with a fly like an electric prince, or even a worm.

A worm will work well in the stocked ponds on a rig or bobber as well.

dantheman93
07-23-2017, 12:03 PM
right on thanks for the advice Kurt.

Solominotaur
07-23-2017, 12:19 PM
What are you fishing? A river or stream or lake? What kind of trout are you targeting?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

dantheman93
07-23-2017, 12:42 PM
What are you fishing? A river or stream or lake? What kind of trout are you targeting?

i made this post to help me decide where i will be fishing. I'm a laid back fisherman it would be nice to go out on the boat but not sure if its worth the effort to load it up. i have no problem doing some stream or river fishing if it isn't worth it to haul the boat. it would be pretty cool to catch any trout that isn't a rainbow or a brook trout. i'm also mostly interested in natural population. however as long as i catch something other than the usual then i'm a happy man.

Solominotaur
07-23-2017, 01:12 PM
i made this post to help me decide where i will be fishing. I'm a laid back fisherman it would be nice to go out on the boat but not sure if its worth the effort to load it up. i have no problem doing some stream or river fishing if it isn't worth it to haul the boat. it would be pretty cool to catch any trout that isn't a rainbow or a brook trout. i'm also mostly interested in natural population. however as long as i catch something other than the usual then i'm a happy man.
Ok where abouts are ya and what's your travel distance?

dantheman93
07-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Ok where abouts are ya and what's your travel distance?

coming from slave i have family and friends around the red deer area so would be willing to check out probably anywhere in es2 or similar distance. not looking for anybody's hotspots just advice. a change of scenery and species would be refreshing.

Solominotaur
07-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Forsure I sent you a pm, I don't mind sharing a couple of my honey holes

Kurt505
07-23-2017, 02:08 PM
That buzz bomb with a prince is the "bomb" on the bow for browns.

dantheman93
07-23-2017, 03:01 PM
That buzz bomb with a prince is the "bomb" on the bow for browns.

haha nice pun kurt!

the bow may be a little too far south for this guy however i feel like that setup is a good one i'll have to try it out in a few different places and see what its all about.

never caught a brown trout how do they taste?

Kurt505
07-23-2017, 03:07 PM
haha nice pun kurt!

the bow may be a little too far south for this guy however i feel like that setup is a good one i'll have to try it out in a few different places and see what its all about.

never caught a brown trout how do they taste?

I've never eaten a brown trout, I released them all. If I'm catching fish to eat I generally go for pike, perch or walleye. I'm not really a trout fan, other than lakers but they're a char actually.

dantheman93
07-23-2017, 03:44 PM
I've never eaten a brown trout, I released them all. If I'm catching fish to eat I generally go for pike, perch or walleye. I'm not really a trout fan, other than lakers but they're a char actually.

There's a little stocked lake called lily lake near slave and i can't wrap my head around why those brookies taste so good. probably because it is a deep cold spring fed lake. other than those i always thought trout taste like mud. I'm the kind of guy who likes to find out first hand though.

i eat almost too much pike and walleye. a good perch or whitefish haul would be nice. i have a 20lb laker in the freezer waiting for a big ol fish fry too lol. but i can catch all that in my back yard. the real trout near the mountains have sparked my curiosity lately i need to see what its all about.

Willowayin
07-25-2017, 09:57 AM
trout have a mud vein on the outside of the fillet just under the skin.
It can be seen as gray colored down the center of fillet after cooking, if lightly scraped off the fish does taste alot better and hardly any mud taste.
Maybe so with any other fish that has muddy taste,
Scrape off mud vein.

dantheman93
07-25-2017, 10:44 AM
trout have a mud vein on the outside of the fillet just under the skin.
It can be seen as gray colored down the center of fillet after cooking, if lightly scraped off the fish does taste alot better and hardly any mud taste.
Maybe so with any other fish that has muddy taste,
Scrape off mud vein.

I am aware of this. however i appreciate the input.

they still taste like mud compared to walleye. but i'm not a picky eater :)

Willowayin
07-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Ah yes, i'm not a picky eater either. For sure no comparison with walleye but not everyone knows about the mud vein, I sure didn't and was getting turned off by the taste. How can a freshly caught fish taste so bhlaa..... as I was only in the trout world at that time.

The Spank
07-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Ah yes, i'm not a picky eater either. For sure no comparison with walleye but not everyone knows about the mud vein, I sure didn't and was getting turned off by the taste. How can a freshly caught fish taste so bhlaa..... as I was only in the trout world at that time.

That grey strip or mud vein as its referred to here along the top of the fish's back is a type of fat. It's where any impurities such as chemicals etc. taken in get stored as well. It should always be removed along with the white layer of fat along the belly. Trout are superb eating if cleaned properly. I always filet mine in the same way I would a walleye, perch etc. Removing the skin and fat in my opinion the only way to eat trout. When the skin or fat is left on and cooked it secretes that strong oily taste into the fish. No thanks!

Mr Flyguy
07-26-2017, 04:21 PM
When the skin or fat is left on and cooked it secretes that strong oily taste into the fish. No thanks!

Huh?? I coat the whole trout (head removed of course) with corn meal. pan fry and enjoy. Mind you, the fish has to be from a decent piece of water; that pretty much makes most of the Edmonton pot hole scene catch and release for me.