PDA

View Full Version : 270WSM

Coe
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey everyone,
Just picked myself up a new Model 70 Stainless Ultimate Shadow in 270WSM....fixed her up with a nice little Leupold and all sighted in ready to go! Wondering if anyone out there had much experience with this caliber in the field? Bought some Federal 140gn Accubonds and can shoot a real nice little group with those (chronied at 3255fps), but wondering if anyone has found a good potion out there. I am not reloading for it yet, but plan to once I get some brass built up. Not really going to be much more than a deer gun I figure, but would be interested to hear if anyone has had much luck using this on heavier game...elk/moose, and what type of bullet you found worked best? The charts I thought were fairly impressive for what it is, so figured I'd try one out.....by no means retiring the 300 Ultra, but that isn't always needed! Any info would be appreciated if anyone has some experience with shooting this round. Thanks

Scott N
01-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I have been using a Tikka T-3 270 WSM for the last couple of seasons and have really liked it. I tried both Nosler 140 gr AccuBonds and 130 gr Barnes TSX, and the Barnes were more accurate in my rifle, so that's what I've been using. I've only shot deer with mine, but by all reports it's quite effective on moose and elk.

jrs
01-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Congrats. Thats what i shoot! Tikka though. The one thing i love is it pushes a 150gr bullet hard, you can "hear" the energy when it makes contact with target. Hits hard compared to normal 270 if your further out than 250yrds. Great little cartridge. I'm testing out some 130gr reloads right now, haven't been able to shoot them yet but the 150's were great so these should be also. My rifles been used on 7 or 8 deer and all died very very shortley afterwards. The furthest one made it was 30 yrds down a coulee slope. Most litterally hit the ground before they stopped running if you know what i mean. I shoot mine at the range out to 500yrds with what i consider lethal accuracy, its shot a few deer way out there but i won't start that discussion here. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, thats a nice setup. (if your hunting elk and moose stick with the 150gr, a few guys have informed me the extra 10-20 gr helps though i've never shot either myself)

harv3589
01-28-2007, 04:30 PM
I use a Kimber 8400 270 WSM, and love it....both whitetail I shot this year fell in their tracks and never moved. Its a fine calibre for moose and elk. I like it so much I have ordered another Kimber Montana in a 270 WSM and sold my 7mm mag.

I am used 130 gr partitions this last fall but will also use the 150 gr partitions.

Coe
01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, really happy to hear that a few of you out there are using 270WSM and quite pleased with the results. I know I am sure looking forward to get out shooting it again, and even more so, looking forward to getting out for a hunt with it! I think the 150gn partition will be the next one I try.....Not too sure that I would want to go down to 130gn as in many cases I am hunting in an area for deer where I have an elk or moose tag in the pocket aswell. Any experience out there with Winchester's 150gn XP3?

270WSM
01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
what is the diffrenace between a wsm to a reg 270 cal.I do not know this one .

jrs
01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Larry, the WSM holds a bag full of powder. My loads range from 63-67gr if i remember correctly. Simply gives some extra energy.

WCTHEMI
01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I also have the 270 WSM in the T3. Great shooter. Have only taken a doe with it, but it performed well.

Ice Fishing Maniac
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I have 2 Tiika T3 LS 270WSM rifles-my wife took over the first one so I bought another. Anyhow great shooters. My wife shoots the factory Winchester Supreme Accubonds CT's in 140gr. I handload 140gr Accubonds in mine. Since 2004, these rifles have taken a few: deer, bull moose and cow elk-mostly all 1 shot kills except my wife's moose this past season, it took 2, but the bull was dead on its feet from the first shot, she just took another to anchor it before it made the trees. Distances have been between 100-325m for the elk and moose, and my wife took her mulie buck in 2004 with a 400m shot.

At first I was skeptical on this caliber for elk, but after witnessing the performance of this bullet with the 270WSM, I have no problems reccommending it. Bullet/shot placement is the major key as it is in any caliber, but a more with the smaller calibers.

Okotokian
01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
for those of you with the experience to compare, where would the 270 WSM rank in comparison to a 270 and 30-06 with regard to recoil? Lets assume same gun type/weight and 150g bullet for the 270's and a 150 and 180 for the 30-06.
1 to 10 scale with the 270 being 1, and the 30-06 180 being, oh say, a 7.

Let the games begin! :D

Coe
01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Ice Fisher, thanks for sharing your field experience with your 270WSM....sounds like I may be able to get a little more field work out of this gun than I had anticipated. Shot placement is definately going to be a factor, as always, but if you are taking down elk/moose at 300yds+ and a deer at 400 with quick kills, no doubt it will be the shooters limitations, not the calibers. I was happy with the accuracy of the 140gn Accubond, so I guess it is safe to say that you were getting decent weight retention on these animals. Okotokian as for comparing the recoil between the 3, I have not shot a 270Win, so no reference there. But I have some experience shooting a T3 30-06 and a number of years with a BLR 308. In my opinion, I would have a difficult time distinguishing between my 308 and 270WSM. I have not shot 30-06 in a few years now, but at the time I was shooting that to my 308, I only noticed a slight difference between those 2, possibley in part to the 1lb differnce in weight of the gun??? However, I guess this is more of a personal decision depending on each shooter's experience and tolerance of recoil.

harv3589
01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
I think the recoil is probably slightly less than the 30-06 but that depends on the gun, light weight vs regular.