PDA

View Full Version : Why bother having a closed season?

savagencounter
05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Went out to wabamun today to test the boat out for opening day and as soon as we go out first thing i saw is a guy trolling. F$c& sakes so i speed over there and tell him its not open and he says its catch and release because the guys at fishtales told him he could fish there . I said i doubt that and check your regs . Anyways he kept on fishing so i burned some doughnuts around where he was fishing.Bright orange signs at the dock say fishing prohibited till may 15 isnt working because i counted 7 boats fishing today. I want to fish as bad as anyone and im not about to pick fights all day or patrol the water but why bother closing the season for spawning if everyone fishes anyways . BUllS&^T. Should be more like b.c here the fisheries there issue BIG fines to anyone not appying the rules. Trust me i got 150 fine for not pinching the barb off enough. Dummies like that dont understand why its closed untill may 15. Catching a spawning fish could kill thousands of future fish and if the 7 other boats caught 7 or so fish each over 100 fish being hooked a day on average during the spawning season . Im starting to wonder why im paying for a licence following the rules ? Oh ya i know why Because i like fishing.

hal53
05-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Went out to wabamun today to test the boat out for opening day and as soon as we go out first thing i saw is a guy trolling. F$c& sakes so i speed over there and tell him its not open and he says its catch and release because the guys at fishtales told him he could fish there . I said i doubt that and check your regs . Anyways he kept on fishing so i burned some doughnuts around where he was fishing.Bright orange signs at the dock say fishing prohibited till may 15 isnt working because i counted 7 boats fishing today. I want to fish as bad as anyone and im not about to pick fights all day or patrol the water but why bother closing the season for spawning if everyone fishes anyways . BUllS&^T. Should be more like b.c here the fisheries there issue BIG fines to anyone not appying the rules. Trust me i got 150 fine for not pinching the barb off enough. Dummies like that dont understand why its closed untill may 15. Catching a spawning fish could kill thousands of future fish and if the 7 other boats caught 7 or so fish each over 100 fish being hooked a day on average during the spawning season . Im starting to wonder why im paying for a licence following the rules ? Oh ya i know why Because i like fishing.
probably a dumb question, from what I understand here...but...did u call RAP??????

savagencounter
05-03-2009, 06:45 PM
probably a dumb question, from what I understand here...but...did u call RAP??????
I didnt have a phone but i would have but you would think they would be out on the weekend? Or is that thier day off? They muat ASSUME poachers only come out weekdays lol

hal53
05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I didnt have a phone but i would have but you would think they would be out on the weekend? Or is that thier day off? They muat ASSUME poachers only come out weekdays lol
exactly...but... I guess they're short handed etc. etc,....not acceptable...we're paying millions (taxpayers) to bring people in to this country...and we can't protect our resources??????....very , very sad,,,,, talked to a buudy who is a CO at Waterton...heavily invovled in the Grizz program...he has a mileage/ llite limit on his truck weekly....so let the poachers go.......???????

mooseknuckle
05-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I too was out on the water yesterday at wabamun. Myself I didn't see anyone fishing kind of mind my own however I did see the fish cops! Twice! They where looking through there scopes checking things out. I'd like too think they caught some of these "cheaters". Ahhhhh 11 more days can't wait.

Okotokian
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
exactly...but... I guess they're short handed etc. etc,....not acceptable...we're paying millions (taxpayers) to bring people in to this country...and we can't protect our resources??????....very , very sad,,,,, talked to a buudy who is a CO at Waterton...heavily invovled in the Grizz program...he has a mileage/ llite limit on his truck weekly....so let the poachers go.......???????

A bit over the top my friend. First of all they DO work weekends (I've met them), However they can't be on every lake in the province every day. The guy didn't phone them, so what's with the rant about them not being there? It's like complaining that the police weren't at the scene of the crime when no one phoned 911.

And what the heck is that about spending millions to bring people into the country? Were these immigrant poachers?

burbotman14
05-04-2009, 08:25 PM
A bit over the top my friend. First of all they DO work weekends (I've met them), However they can't be on every lake in the province every day. The guy didn't phone them, so what's with the rant about them not being there? It's like complaining that the police weren't at the scene of the crime when no one phoned 911.

And what the heck is that about spending millions to bring people into the country? Were these immigrant poachers?

Last year I fished pigeon almost every weekend. I did not get stopped once by the fisheries. Now I know they can't be on every lake every week, but thats kind of sad, for maintaining a catch and release fishery. Went at least 12 times and did not get stopped once.:(

FishinFreak
05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Last year I fished pigeon almost every weekend. I did not get stopped once by the fisheries. Now I know they can't be on every lake every week, but thats kind of sad, for maintaining a catch and release fishery. Went at least 12 times and did not get stopped once.:(

Thats because they are up here in the Lakeland. I got checked on Pinehurst, Cold Lake, Wolf, Kehewin, and Siebert last year. By the way I gotta say they were very efficent and easy to get along with and were more interested in my safety and enjoyment then they were in digging till they found a issue.

QIsley
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
There are two Fish and Wildlife Officers "2" that work in the Stony Plain district. There used to be 3, would be workable to have 4 but the reality is there are 2.

We cover the North Saskatchewan River from Edmonton City boundary to the Berrymore Bridge, Wabamun Lake, Jackfish Lake, Mayatan Lake, Mink Lake, Star Lake, Eastpit pond, Cickakoo pond, Sauer pond, Muir Lake, Hasse Lake, Morinville reservoir, Spring Lake, Hubbles Lake, and a bunch of other waterbodies and streams that contain fish and are fished by fishermen. We also help out with Lac St. Anne and Devils Lake.

While we try to be at the most likely place to catch violators it is not quite that easy when there are other duties to take care of like moose with broken legs, bear occurrences, various permit applications, issueing skunk and porcupine traps (all things I did this weekend). We also have days off and are not allowed to work every weekend.

That is why it is important for you to collect as much information as possible, like licence plates, descriptions and any other pertinent information and call the Report-A-Poacher number. We may not be in a position to respond to every call immediately however we will investigate every report if there is information to follow up on.

Reports also provide critical intelligence information about when and where violations occur that can be used to aid in the development of patrol plans. Every call is important information. No calls equals no information.

I think we had in the neighborhood of 9 RAP calls at Wab last year (I could look up the exact number but it was not very many), it's pretty hard to argue for more officers with 9 calls to back it up.

Q

Big Worm
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
There are two Fish and Wildlife Officers "2" that work in the Stony Plain district. There used to be 3, would be workable to have 4 but the reality is there are 2.

We cover the North Saskatchewan River from Edmonton City boundary to the Berrymore Bridge, Wabamun Lake, Jackfish Lake, Mayatan Lake, Mink Lake, Star Lake, Eastpit pond, Cickakoo pond, Sauer pond, Muir Lake, Hasse Lake, Morinville reservoir, Spring Lake, Hubbles Lake, and a bunch of other waterbodies and streams that contain fish and are fished by fishermen. We also help out with Lac St. Anne and Devils Lake.

While we try to be at the most likely place to catch violators it is not quite that easy when there are other duties to take care of like moose with broken legs, bear occurrences, various permit applications, issueing skunk and porcupine traps (all things I did this weekend). We also have days off and are not allowed to work every weekend.

That is why it is important for you to collect as much information as possible, like licence plates, descriptions and any other pertinent information and call the Report-A-Poacher number. We may not be in a position to respond to every call immediately however we will investigate every report if there is information to follow up on.

Reports also provide critical intelligence information about when and where violations occur that can be used to aid in the development of patrol plans. Every call is important information. No calls equals no information.

I think we had in the neighborhood of 9 RAP calls at Wab last year (I could look up the exact number but it was not very many), it's pretty hard to argue for more officers with 9 calls to back it up.

Q

Well said Q! I dont see an issue if we all help out a little and follow general guidlines and practices of reporting illegal activities when we see them. I did get checked over 10 times last year at various Northern lakes so we know you are out there and also working hard on other duties.

"Savagecounter" - we dont come to your job and throw rocks at you when you are mowing so why do you need to rip on the CO's?:evilgrin:

Okotokian
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
"Savagecounter" - we dont come to your job and throw rocks at you when you are mowing so why do you need to rip on the CO's?:evilgrin:

Oh that's low :lol::lol:

savagencounter
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Oh that's low :lol::lol:

at least i have a job lol :) do you? and it isnt mowing thats for sure. and i didnt say fisheries arent doing thier job there isnt really anything that enforces these laws and i think stronger penaltys are needed. Bye bye little worm