PDA

View Full Version : Upper or Lower Kananaskis Lakes

Xplorer
08-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Hey Guys,

Going to Kananaskis fishing from a boat this weekend. I have not fished the lakes from a boat in decades, since I was a kid.

Any recommendations on which lake might be better these days?

I mostly fly fish but have a buddy who spin fishes, so any advice for that would be great too. Probably going to troll a bit and work areas where streams enter the lakes.

Thanks for any advice

Sharpie
08-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Fished both lakes last week. Upper only once, windy caught nothing. Ended up with two beauties out of the Lower but had to put lots of time in. Caught them deep with one of those deep diver gadgets (dipsy diver I think?) followed by a flasher followed by a wedding band.
Wish I had my fly gear as they were jumping EVERYWHERE! Seen 2 big bulls cruising by shore while I was spinning and another looked to be 30+" came flying right out of the water where we were deep trolling. Tried draggin everything you could think of. Fly fishing is your best bet or get down deep.
Both were legal had one for supper.

Xplorer
08-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Thank man!

Nice Fish!

When you say deep, just curious about how deep?

Sharpie
08-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Not sure. haha. No fancy depth or fish finders on my boat. The driver says it dives 40'. Not sure if it actually does. Had lots of line out to. Was trolling in S pattern's. When I got to close to shore it would start hitting bottom so I would turn back around. Prob hooked up both times about 1/3 of the way across the lake from the West shoreline. Out from the sharp cliff face that's North of the power plant.

TROLLER
08-11-2017, 02:09 PM
How is the boat launch at Lower? Any issues getting a boat in?

Scott N
08-11-2017, 02:32 PM
How is the boat launch at Lower? Any issues getting a boat in?

I was fishing across from there on my float tube last weekend, there were a lot of boats that came and went, no problems. I think the water level is a little higher than the last time I was out there about 5 weeks or so ago.

weedhaul
08-14-2017, 02:04 PM
early morning fly fishing on lower K is really nice

pikeman06
08-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Nice chunky trout and good job.