PDA

View Full Version : Minnows

TROLLER
08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Picked up a small tub of minnows at Can Tire the ones from Manitoba. Yesterday while fishing I noticed a few of them were clearly perch. I tossed em thinking this has to be illegal. Any thoughts on this? Was I wrong in my thinking, and what are they doing putting perch minnows in

huntsfurfish
08-11-2017, 11:01 AM
You did the right thing by tossing them, it would have been illegal to use them. Guess they miss some now and then.

The Fisherman Guy
08-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Hey - don't put species stereotypes in a minnow tub. Just because you see it as a perch, doesn't mean it self identified itself as a perch!

I've had the same issue with Candle Lake shiners. You get the odd one that has a couple small yellow perch in amongst the shiners.

Okotokian
08-11-2017, 12:07 PM
good catch. If there were only one or two perch in the tub I suspect that the issue is just poor quality control by the company rather than purposely using them. Would be worth a word to the company at least, and perhaps Manitoba's F&W people.

cube
08-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Picked up a small tub of minnows at Can Tire the ones from Manitoba. Yesterday while fishing I noticed a few of them were clearly perch. I tossed em thinking this has to be illegal. Any thoughts on this? Was I wrong in my thinking, and what are they doing putting perch minnows in

I don't think they are purposely putting the perch minnows in, rather they are not spending the money to take them out. At least that's what I would bet.

Perch can also be used as bait in some jurisdictions but not in Alberta.

The Spank
08-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Why not invest a few $$ in a minnow trap or two and catch and freeze or salt dry your own?

bigfis
08-11-2017, 02:57 PM
I allso have found perch in those tubs.

aulrich
08-11-2017, 04:00 PM
I seems the trans thing is hitting fish to, or is it species non-conforming , or may be it's species fluid, it's all so confusing. if it thinks that it's shiner then it's bait.

on a serious note:
I have found them too, as for QC I don't want to pay for one by one hand packed minnows.

Fishwhere
08-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Hey - don't put species stereotypes in a minnow tub. Just because you see it as a perch, doesn't mean it self identified itself as a perch!

I've had the same issue with Candle Lake shiners. You get the odd one that has a couple small yellow perch in amongst the shiners.

Hahahaha too funny!

Pretty crazy theres perch in there. Wonder how they get the bait, or if its all raised in house?

Tfng
08-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Hahahaha too funny!

Pretty crazy theres perch in there. Wonder how they get the bait, or if its all raised in house?

They use a seine boat to catch them. I've seen the boat and it's pretty cool.