PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Fly Angler

Sartorius
05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I've been thinking about getting into fly fishing for a while, but I don't really know where to start. I'm a somewhat poor university student, so I don't have a huge wad of cash to spend. I mainly fish stocked trout lakes and small to medium sized streams/rivers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a starter setup?

catnthehat
05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
You don't need high dollar gear to start, go to Canadian Tire or WalMart and pick up a cheap crystal river rig, or similar, a 5wght is typical.
This will be fine for stocked ponds.
Most important however, get into contact with someone here that can help you out and show you the ropes!
Cat

SammyIam
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Are you in Calgary or Edmonton or elsewhere?

billybobjimbo jr.
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Sartorius,
There are many excellent books and dvds available at the public library on fly fishing.
As far as gear you don't need to spend piles of cash. You can pick up a starter 5 or 6 weight rod reel combo at one of the local sporting goods places (fishing centre, fishin' hole or wholesale sports) and talk to one of the guys/girls working there. I'd recommend going to one of these places over Cantire because you'll learn a lot more from the staff. Most of these places will be helpful and willing if you tell them your situation. For about $100-$120 you should be able to pick-up what you need to get started.
If you think you'll be doing quite a bit of fly fishing and I'd guess you'll probably get hooked on it (pun intended) you can set aside a few bucks and upgrade to a better rod down the road. Birthdays and Xmas are also great times to hit up friends and family for new gear.
If you go out by yourself the first few times and are feeling a bit discouraged, keep at it anyways. It WILL get easier. Like most things the more you practice the better you'll be. You can practice in a field or school ground.
Hope this will help.
If you want more info PM me.
BBJ Jr.

dekker59
05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
x2 on all the above advice. When I got started I was using the only thing I could afford at the time (cheapest walmart) and had no idea about rod weights or anything.

If you're in the calgary area I'd be willing to share some reading material, flies, and as much advice as you want. pm me

thumper
05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I took a one-day 'learn to flyfish' course from Country Pleasures in Calgary - must have been almost 30 years ago. I bought a cheap 'beginners package' that afternoon and fished with it for the next 15 years - never touched my spinning rod in all that time:lol:

Spend your resources on learning the correct basics, and you'll be hooked for life! The expensive gear will come later!

Okotokian
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I took a one-day 'learn to flyfish' course from Country Pleasures in Calgary - must have been almost 30 years ago. I bought a cheap 'beginners package' that afternoon and fished with it for the next 15 years - never touched my spinning rod in all that time:lol:

Spend your resources on learning the correct basics, and you'll be hooked for life! The expensive gear will come later!

I took the same course from the same place last year. WELL worth it, and something to do BEFORE you buy anything because they review equipment and you get to try out a lot of different rod weights. However, if you want cheap you won't be buying your equipment from Country Pleasures. I did, lovely stuff, but OUCH$$$$$$$$ Then go to WSS and pick up a package set.

Sartorius
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! I live west of Edmonton. (Actually, I live just west of Stony Plain.)

mad fisher
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
There is a fly fishing club in Edmonton call the Northern Lights. They meet every wednesday. Check out their website at nlft.org

I think it is still about 20 buckeroos to join. They have a library and classes on both tying and casting which is all part of the membership. Plus learning out in the field fishing with the ol timers.

rhuntley12
05-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Anyone know of classes around Calgary area?

Guy Incognito
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
rhuntley12,

I just took an introductory lesson, Fly Fishing Level 1, from Fish Tales Fly Shop. Excellent course taught by an extremely knowledgeable instructor with lots of patience. Give David a call and he can set you up. If you want to get into Fly fishing, it's the best $95.00 you will spend.

Guy