PDA

View Full Version : Pierre Gray Lakes

kokanee
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Does anybody know if there is still ice on the lakes? Im planning on heading there May long.

Thanks for any replys

Little Red Man
05-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Was there the weekend before this just last one and there was still a shyteload of good clear ice (20" easy). Weather has finally been a little nicer here, so who knows by MLW. I may take a drive out next week to have a looky and will try to update you then. FYI, the ice on Grande Cache lake comes off usually quite a bit earlier than PGL's, so as an alternative, that might be a place to fish.

rclegg
05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
There is still ice on PGL. Grande Cache lake is open around the shoreline, main lake is still frozen over. Victor lake has some ice of and the fishing has been alright. A few small brookies on the fly so far, should be alot of open water by the weekend, ice is really water soaked and crystalized.

I'll be back down there tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

kokanee
05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
thanks guys..there are a few lakes around hinton here that just opened up so i kinda figured they'd be still frozen up there.

If u don't mind keep me posted

thanks

rclegg
05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Looks like the ice on victor lake will be gone this weekend. SE bay was pretty broken up last night. Fishing was very slow, water was very turbid and the water temp is 3.5 C. Only seen 2 fish hit the surface in 2 hours of fishing.

Grande Cache lake still frozen over.

Haven't been to PGL yet, but the area recieved quite a bit of snow last night. So I wouldn't get to hopefull until after May 24.

Hope this helps, anyone been to Rock Lake NW of Hinton?

kokanee
05-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I talked to a lady who works at the rock lake campground, she said its starting to melt along the edges of the lake, she figures another week and the ice should be gone...
fingers crossed cause thats plan B

Little Red Man
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Update for you. Went for a drive today and Grande Cache Lake and Victor are getting close to complete ice out. Then drove down to Pierre Greys and found plenty of ice. Spoke with an old timer near Muskeg (right next to Pierre Greys) and he told us usually ice out for Pierre Greys is about a week after ice out for Grande/Victor. So, anyway.....I suspect at least another week (depending on weather, which, if you believe the forecast for this week is cool). Doubtful for MLW, but you could cruise up to Grande Cache Lake and/or Victor at the very least.

WildWest48
05-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Update . Went for a drive today and Grande Cache Lake and Victor both open. Then drove down to Pierre Greys and found plenty of ice. Any updates on Rock lake or Jarvis???

Rockyman
05-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Was still frozen as of Monday.There was one very small open area at the east end of the lake.

Why do so many people like to throw their beer cans and bottles out the window on the way in to Rock Lake? In one stretch of road there must have been a can or bottle about every 100 ft.

kokanee
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Jarvis had some ice left on weekend..graveyard and cache lake are both ice free

Pierre
05-25-2009, 08:18 AM
From Saturday (23rd) morning at 10:00 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/toxicwastepete/IMGP0223.jpg

rclegg
05-29-2009, 12:41 PM
For anyone intrested the ice is finally out at PGL's.