PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Lake AB

P-Pyro
08-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Hi
Does anybody have info on fishing at Medicine lake? Thanks

Drewski Canuck
08-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Medicine is a UNIQUE lake in that it fills in the spring and drains in the fall. There are major faults under the lake which causes it to feed springs into the Athabasca River Valley. It is a slow drain, but a steady drain.

By late August the river is wayyy down and eventually becomes mud flats with a river channel. Used to be great fly fishing where Maligne River came in, but you had to walk across a lot of mud flats to get to that spot.

I do not recall when the lake closes, but it was because the fish get forced to go up river to survive, and the congregate at the river mouth. There was a regulation change because of that.

Drewski

iYearn
08-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Hi
Does anybody have info on fishing at Medicine lake? Thanks

Which Medicine Lake do you mean?

Drewski does a great job of describing the one just outside of Jasper.

There is another Medicine Lake just East of Hwy 22 as well.

P-Pyro
08-25-2017, 09:37 PM
OK, sorry I couldn't get back quickly.
I mean the Medicine Lake out of Rimbey.

MrDave
08-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Yup I do. It's another lake that is starting to recover after it got to be too popular. In the 70's the fishing was great, then the beavers stopped the outflow, and then the pike couldn't travel the river to spawn.
Then outsiders found out, and the tourists came. Thankfully the mana has raised the camping fees to an unrealistic amount, and way less people go there.
Hoping the pike fishing keeps improving. Wasn't great this spring, but not the worst it's been.
It's got a few hot spots, but generally a slower fishing lake.

What else do you want to know?

P-Pyro
08-31-2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks, that's all I need. Considering adding the canoe when going