PDA

View Full Version : General Walleye Tips

iliketrout
05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Being from the far, far East I've never fished for Walleye's before. I know in general that smelts are good, but on what lure? I was thinking of salting some Superstore smelts and jigging them on a white jig head.

Does anyone else have any general tips on bait and tackle for Walleyes?

Thanks!

Jester
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Being from the far, far East

Japan??:evilgrin:

TimC
05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Japan??:evilgrin:

Japan is so far east that it will be closer to travel from west:lol:

Last time i traveled to Japan it was closer from Van than Toronto.:p

sheephunter
05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Being from the far, far East I've never fished for Walleye's before. I know in general that smelts are good, but on what lure? I was thinking of salting some Superstore smelts and jigging them on a white jig head.

Does anyone else have any general tips on bait and tackle for Walleyes?

Thanks!

I'd say shiner minnows are better bait for walleye than smelts. They can be fished very effectively on a jig, bait rig or spinner rig. Nightcrawlers and leeches are also favoured walleye baits.

Morph1
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
1. Bait the hook.
2. Set the hook.
3. Pull the sucker out.
4. Head towards the camp.
5. 2 fillets and 2 cheeks
6. Oil the Pan.
7. Fry the sucker for 10 min.
8. Yummy ... wash it down with cold beer :D

Cheers !

goober
05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
1. Bait the hook.
2. Set the hook.
3. Pull the sucker out.
4. Head towards the camp.
5. 2 fillets and 2 cheeks
6. Oil the Pan.
7. Fry the sucker for 10 min.
8. Yummy ... wash it down with cold beer :D

Cheers !

You missed a step Morph. In this day and age step 4 should read "Tag the fish"!:lol:

Waxy
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd say shiner minnows are better bait for walleye than smelts. They can be fished very effectively on a jig, bait rig or spinner rig. Nightcrawlers and leeches are also favoured walleye baits.

Yep, I agree, smelts work good for early season pike, but I've never had much luck using them for walleye.

The very basics for walleye fishing are a 6-7' medium action rod, a nice light reel, and a few jigs in different colors and weights. Tip the jigs with some bait or plastics (Gulp, etc...) and you'll do just fine.

After that, you start getting into all kinds of different things from casting/trolling crankbaits, bottom bouncer/spinner rigs, live bait rigging, etc... Do some reading here and all over the net, there's a seemingly endless amount of info out there.

Waxy

Jester
05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
You missed a step Morph. In this day and age step 4 should read xxxxxxx!:lol:

I fixed it for ya..:D

BushWacked
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
You missed a step Morph. In this day and age step 4 should read "Tag the fish"!:lol:
Only in Alberta. LOL. That's why I miss Manitoba so much.

bardfromedson
05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
if your looking for reading material walleyecentral.com has a ton of articles. for tv i would watch the pro walleye tour on wild tv or infisherman when they are doing walleye segments. where do you plan on fishing??

Morph1
05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey Guys it all depends on the lake,
the one I get my walleyes from every 4th -5th is the legal size and no tags needed :D I'll give you a hint somewheres in the northern AB :D :lol::lol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
As far as bait goes shiners are my Favorite , Then The gulp baits I like the 8 inch Leech myself , and Smelts . Presentation is the key though . It don't matter if it , Slip bobber , Working a spoon , Crank Baits , Jig head and Minnow , bottom bouncer ,Soft plastics, And so on . All effective tactics in Nailing Walleye .

By far my favorite Tactic for Catching Walleye is trolling Crank baits .

Fireman911
05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Float tube, fly rod, #3 sink line, and a leach pattern works awsome believe it or not.

iliketrout
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
By far east I mean Nova Scotia. When I say east people think Ontario which is west to me. We don't have Walleyes, Pike, or Whitefish there.

Anyways, I plan to fish Travers, bardfromedson. I saw a "Fishing Alberta" where they were trolling spinners at CVR, I would imagine the same technique works at Travers.

bardfromedson
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
spinners with bottom bouncers are a great way to start the day when working a new body of water you don't know a lot about because you can cover a lot of water fast. i like to start off by zig zaging along to cover different depths and watching my electronics to find the fish. concentrate on points, mid lake humps and steep drop offs. early in the year they may be shallower than you think and tend to go deeper when the water warms up. another great search method is a 3 way rig with a drop sinker and a floating crank bait. .

fish-man
05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Worms, minnows, or leeches fished slowly on bottom.

Big Red 250
05-07-2009, 06:53 AM
All great advise. also a floating rapalla with a weight ahead of it about 18-24 inches trolled slowly to find the school.

nicemustang
05-07-2009, 08:48 AM
If you are going to Travers this weekend, remember the water is still cold so they aren't going to be where they are in the summer time. It will take a 3 - 4 weeks for that to happen. They should be in deeper holes during the day, coming up onto ridges or in shallows in EARLY morning or late evening, same as winter. Bardfromedson makes the best tip, troll in jig jag patterns on, over, and down ridges and structure from 10 to 30 feet. If you find hits consistantly at 25 FOW (which is what I suspect), you could try jiging with white double tail jigs with minnows attached. Remember, they aren't going to be that aggressive yet. They also could be in the creek as well, in the deep part of the creek if you check out the map. Troll bottom bottom bouncers through there. Expect A LOT of pike action this weekend when you hit the shallows, they should be everywhere.