PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca River near Hinton

Sumara
08-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Testing my luck on the Athabasca River for the first time. Anyone have some tips for what would work well this time of year?

3blade
08-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Size 12-14 copper johns for Rockies and grayling, make sure you are ticking along the bottom. White streamers for bull trout. If you get into a rainbow or laker, buy a lottery ticket.

If you have the desire to chuck hardware, flashy spoons for bulls and a nymph and nail rig for Rockies. Panther Martin spinner for grayling.

Also be aware that bulls, Rockies and grayling are fall spawners and very succeptable to pressure. Handle gently and don't hammer one pool or area all day. Catch a couple and move on to explore new water.

Dragless
08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Grayling are spring spawners , there is no lakers lol and rainbows are common... athabows not big

3blade
08-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Grayling are spring spawners , there is no lakers lol and rainbows are common... athabows not big

Oops...you are correct of course. Grayling are spring spawners, however still succeptable to pressure once they move into wintering holes. Somehow my brain didn't communicate with my fingers to say that right the first time. Good catch.

There are some very occasional reports of lakers at both ends of the river. Close to the mountains and close to lake Athabaska.

troutbug
08-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Size 12-14 copper johns for Rockies and grayling, make sure you are ticking along the bottom. White streamers for bull trout. If you get into a rainbow or laker, buy a lottery ticket.

If you have the desire to chuck hardware, flashy spoons for bulls and a nymph and nail rig for Rockies. Panther Martin spinner for grayling.

Also be aware that bulls, Rockies and grayling are fall spawners and very succeptable to pressure. Handle gently and don't hammer one pool or area all day. Catch a couple and move on to explore new water.

I catch more rainbows than anything in that river

3blade
08-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Seriously?? Everyone else is catching rainbows and I only get Rockies and only ever hear about Rockies. Maybe one at athabow a year. Well then...apparently I have some figuring to do.

RavYak
08-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Definitely lakers in the Athabasca but I have never heard of one around Hinton area, only Fort McMurray area(in spring when some come up from Lake Athabasca).

As others said use spoons and other larger flashy/fish imitating lures for bulls or small spoons/spinners for athabows and grayling.

coachman
08-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Don't forget Jack fish, Burb's and brookie's

Rockjockey
08-31-2017, 12:56 AM
If you are lucky you will hook into one of these with one of these. I caught this old timer at the mouth of one of the creeks on the Athab near Hinton. In early August a few years back.

I have caught bulls, browns, grayling and brookies in the river near Hinton, mostly near creek mouths and then up and into the creeks themselves. The Panther that I use predominately is the one I have posted, it seems the dressing adds something they like.

RJ

Positrac
08-31-2017, 01:07 AM
I know guys that have lived here for years and pound the river pretty good and have never caught a Laker. Then boom...a couple within minutes of each other.

You are right though, most seem to catch them mid April to mid May from the reports I've heard. I haven't caught one myself yet.

Definitely lakers in the Athabasca but I have never heard of one around Hinton area, only Fort McMurray area(in spring when some come up from Lake Athabasca).

As others said use spoons and other larger flashy/fish imitating lures for bulls or small spoons/spinners for athabows and grayling.

McLeod
08-31-2017, 08:21 AM
If you are lucky you will hook into one of these with one of these. I caught this old timer at the mouth of one of the creeks on the Athab near Hinton. In early August a few years back.

I have caught bulls, browns, grayling and brookies in the river near Hinton, mostly near creek mouths and then up and into the creeks themselves. The Panther that I use predominately is the one I have posted, it seems the dressing adds something they like.

RJ

Interesting about the browns !

Sumara
08-31-2017, 10:20 PM
Thanks all for the tips. Looking to land a trout other than a Rainbow for once and even a grayling would be wicked.