PDA

View Full Version : Kicker Motors

deanna
08-29-2017, 03:01 PM
What would the best size be for an 18.5 foot Princecraft be. Any info woud be appreciated

fishinmatt
08-29-2017, 03:11 PM
9.9 will work nicely.

Okotokian
08-29-2017, 03:24 PM
I've got a 17.5" Princecraft with a 15hp Mercury 4 stroke for a kicker (Main engine is a 115 hp Mercury). Came with the boat when I bought it second hand. It's really way more than I need for trolling in any conditions. I guess it will be good to get me back to shore if my main engine ever gives up, I can cruise along at a pretty good clip with it, but as I said, way more than I need for trolling. I'd get a 9 hp if I were you. It will also be less weight on your back end than a 15.

If you get it, talk to me about remote steering and throttle controls so you don't have to go back and steer the thing. I just put on a TrollMaster remote throttle control device and have had a steering link to my main engine for some time.

skidderman
08-29-2017, 04:37 PM
9.9 will work nicely.

This!!!!!

ROA
08-29-2017, 05:09 PM
There are special high thrust versions of 9.9's they have a bigger diameter prop. I have a yamaha T9.9 electric start with trim on an 18 foot and its the cats ass. Top speed about 6mph and idle speed of around 1mph.

Some things to think about. If you are going to be running with the kicker tipped up in big waves with lots of pounding with a manual tilt motor the assembly can break from bouncing around. That is why I went with electric trim. You will have to meaure to see if you need a short, long or extra long shaft so the kicker prop will sit below the bottom of the boat (if it is mounted right on the transom) One time I tried a short shaft on a 17foot lund when I realy needed an extra long shaft and found that turning sucked big time and the thing would just cavitate if you gave it much throttle due to the prop not sitting below the bottom of the boat.

A 6hp would also do the trick for your 18foot boat..

fish99
08-29-2017, 05:18 PM
go with the pro 9.9 power tilt and electric start u will be glad u did.

The Spank
08-29-2017, 06:05 PM
Buy yourself the Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker. It is specifically designed as a kicker motor.

67ZL1
08-29-2017, 07:41 PM
I would compare pricing between the 9.9 and 15 Pro Kicker. The 15 has a bigger alternator to charge your battery. Depending on how long you intend to troll for the 15 may be better suited for running your livewells and graphs.

Walleyedude
08-29-2017, 08:43 PM
My vote is for any of the dedicated 9.9HP kicker motors. Mercury, Yamaha, BRP, they're all good. The Merc Pro Kicker is a great option.

I know it's quite a bit more money up front, but the convenience of electric start and power trim/tilt is worth every penny in my opinion. The dedicated kickers also have the lower gear case ratios and bigger diameter props that make them much more efficient for trolling with larger boats.

I'd go with the 9.9 over the 15 primarily due to weight. The 15 is quite a bit heavier which is a factor on an 18ft boat, and it's really not needed in terms of power. In my opinion the small increase in alternator output will be of less value to you in the majority of situations.

67ZL1
08-29-2017, 09:17 PM
The 9.9 weighs in at 108lbs with a 6 amp generator. The 15 weighs 130 ish lbs with a 12 amp generator. Cost difference is 5-600.00.

Northern Bob
08-30-2017, 01:12 AM
The Suzuki 9.9 or 15 hp are gaining market share. They've had fuel injection for the last couple of years while the others aren't. Much easier starting and smoother running. They have the high thrust versions with either remote controls or tiller and power tilt.

deanna
08-30-2017, 06:54 AM
Awsome, Thanx guys

Okotokian
08-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Alternator?? LOL You mean my kicker could be charging my battery or running electronics?? Never occurred to me. Mine's just a pull start sitting there, connected to nothing. Or are you talking about electric starts that are hooked up to the battery? I just accepted that my fish finder was slowly drawing down my battery while my main engine was off and I was using my kicker. Never had a problem with that.

Ken07AOVette
08-30-2017, 09:34 AM
I use a Yamaha t8 high thrust on my ocean boat. It weighs likely 6x as much as your boat or more. You do not need 15hp.

ROA
08-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Alternator?? LOL You mean my kicker could be charging my battery or running electronics?? Never occurred to me. Mine's just a pull start sitting there, connected to nothing. Or are you talking about electric starts that are hooked up to the battery? I just accepted that my fish finder was slowly drawing down my battery while my main engine was off and I was using my kicker. Never had a problem with that.

Any outboard with electric start will charge back to the battery when it's running There is a way to retrofit some pull starts to charge a battery.

Charging is needed when using electric down riggers and trolling all day. Also nice if your battery has died for what ever random reason. Just pull start the kicker and let it charge the battery enough to get the main running.

Okotokian
08-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Any outboard with electric start will charge back to the battery when it's running There is a way to retrofit some pull starts to charge a battery.

Charging is needed when using electric down riggers and trolling all day. Also nice if your battery has died for what ever random reason. Just pull start the kicker and let it charge the battery enough to get the main running.

Thanks. I could see a retrofit being useful, but I've sunk enough into it. I've got two batteries on board anyway if things go south. And if they both die Ill just motor home with the kicker. You can go on improving things forever if you have the wallet. :)

kouleerunner
09-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Having the ability to charge my main battery with my kicker has saved me twice this year on the water. I spent all day on the water, listening to the radio, electronics front and back, live well going, just trolling along. My electric trolling motor died, so thought I better head home. Went to start the main........ Nothing! Dead battery....... :scared0015: Nothing in the elecic trolling batteries...... Pull started the kicker, started heading back, after 10 min, tried the main motor.... She fired up, headed home. :sHa_shakeshout:Just in time for dark!

Now I'm Much smarter with what I run while on the water for 12v accessories! And make sure the kicker gets a workout from Time to time! :thinking-006:

Jack&7
09-01-2017, 08:04 PM
I have a 6hp Johnson I am going to put up for sale on here soon...just saying.

Scott h
09-03-2017, 08:07 AM
I use a Yamaha t8 high thrust on my ocean boat. It weighs likely 6x as much as your boat or more. You do not need 15hp.

I use the same set up on my saltwater boat. Great little motor.

denpacc
09-03-2017, 06:04 PM
My cousin uses a 9.9 Mercury on his 28 foot ocean fishing boat, pushes it no problem for trolling when we go. 6 hp would be fine for OP's boat.

EZM
09-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Ya man !!!!

I have my little Honda kicker (9.9) and it kicks back 12 amps back into my battery when running.

Most outboards only kick back 6 amps - which is normally more than enough for downriggers/electronics/ect.. and, besides, when you are running riggers you are typically running the trolling motor anyways.

The back up pull start is also a life saver.

Had my bilge pump set to run "auto" one night (overnight while beached on the lake) and it rained buckets - so my bilge pumped quite often.

In the am, my main wouldn't crank as the battery was dead - so I pull started the kicker, ran it for 90 seconds, and then cranked over the main and went on my way.

I guess I still have my 24v system for my electric trolling motor on the bow if that didn't work - but it's a nice backup safety feature which is easy to use.

And because it's a Honda - it fires up like a sewing machine with one pull. lol.

bobalong
09-03-2017, 08:48 PM
What would the best size be for an 18.5 foot Princecraft be. Any info woud be appreciated

Just curious do you have a bow mount already? If not I would go with an I-Pilot 24v-80lb.-60" bow mount over the kicker. More control on the front and much nicer trolling without the noise. Kicker is nicer for a backup motor but I like the electric for fishing much better.

EZM
09-03-2017, 09:12 PM
You should select the motor based on what options you want and how you fish.

Down-rigging and trolling - many guys prefer remote (helm) steering.

If you want electric start, power tilt and the remote steer - it's likely only going to be available in a 9.9 hp or up.

If you want a tiller steer, anything like a 6,8 or 9.9 is just fine.

Also look at how many amps (if any) you want your motor to send back to your cranking battery bank.

The selection of the "best" kicker motor really depends on how you use it and what you want/need - not all HP's come with all the options.

Ken07AOVette
09-03-2017, 09:21 PM
You should select the motor based on what options you want and how you fish.

Down-rigging and trolling - many guys prefer remote (helm) steering.

If you want electric start, power tilt and the remote steer - it's likely only going to be available in a 9.9 hp or up.

If you want a tiller steer, anything like a 6,8 or 9.9 is just fine.

Also look at how many amps (if any) you want your motor to send back to your cranking battery bank.

The selection of the "best" kicker motor really depends on how you use it and what you want/need - not all HP's come with all the options.

Not trying to argue but my t8 has electric start tilt trim and remote steering. It will run forever on very little fuel.

ROA
09-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Not trying to argue but my t8 has electric start tilt trim and remote steering. It will run forever on very little fuel.

T8 hase been discontinued and now its the T9.9. The T9.9 is as good as the old T8 was and that is saying a lot. This thing is the best outboard I have ever owned and I have had a few. Only down side to it is it does not have a built in pull start like the 8 had, you got to do the cord around the fly wheel trick ( it comes with a cord and handle) I almost didn't buy it in favor of the Merc pro kicker because the Merc has the pull start but I am glad I did get the Yamaha in the end. Only 4 stoke outboard I have ever owned that does not build oil level from idling.

EZM
09-03-2017, 09:50 PM

I think the those features have been discontinued on anything below 9.9 hp for most manufacturers for a few years.

I think you need to go up to a 9.9 for Merc, Honda, Yamaha and Tohatsu to get those features (all in one).

The Yamaha you have is, and remains to be, one of the best kickers ever built. I've had a few of them, and just like the Hondas I've owned, they were reliable and bullet proof.

SamSteele
09-03-2017, 09:56 PM
I have a Merc Pro Kicker 9.9 on my 18.5' Lund, as well as a 80# Terrova bow mount. The Terrova is good up to about 1.5-2 mph. I use it mostly for trolling down around 1 mph or less. The Pro Kicker gets dropped in for any trolling above 1.5 mph. It is the remote steer version with power tilt and electric start, as well as a pull start cord. Max speed on my boat is about 6 mph.

The only reason I see to go to a 15 hp in the Merc is to get a larger alternator. Some of the power steering systems on the big motors use power and the alternator of the 9.9 can't keep up to the draw. The 15 can do a lot of folks go with it for that reason.

I will admit to not loving my Kicker the first year I had it. I started liking it a lot more the second year.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
09-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Sorry - didn't see ROA's post - basically saying the same thing anyways.

The other thing is most manufacturers use the exact same engine for the 8 hp and the 9.9. Both Honda and Yamaha 8 and 9.9's are identical engines with only the tuning changed to generate the HP.

Full features they save for the 9.9 and they are only available in the 9.9.

The High Thrust is (was) a slightly different beast - and the new Yamahas take most of that same technology forward with and into the standard "T" series.

ddddd05
09-03-2017, 10:38 PM
I would try and find an electric motor that is powerful enough. Possibly a motor mount electric motor.

It is so nice to fish without the noise of a gas motor. Electric motors are great for trolling speeds. Also if you run out of gas you have a bit of a backup.