PDA

View Full Version : Fortress Lake Sept hike/fish/float

nimrod4
08-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Howdy folks.

Just wondered if their are any on here planning or would like to fish Fortress lake this mid September. I'm a 28 yr old male ICU RN from Michigan that quit my job in July for a 5 month sabbatical and have been fishing in Alaska ever since. I will be passing through Alberta 2nd or 3rd week of September (flexible) and am a self proclaimed trout bum. I am not opposed to attempting on my own but for my dear mother's sake I promised her I would try to get a plus one or possibly join a prexisitng group. I have two rafts with me as is. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips you might have to offer. Tight lines to all!

Isaiah

RavYak
08-29-2017, 10:39 PM
I would but I gotta work :(.

I assume you know the bridge across the Athabasca is destroyed but if not just a heads up. Not sure exactly how extreme the river is at that location to know if you can raft/swim across safely but I do know they don't recommend it.

Pierre
08-30-2017, 07:50 AM
This is what the bridge used to look like

http://forums.clubtread.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30073&stc=1&d=1427085349

This is how the bridge is/was last we heard.

http://www.fitzhugh.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/R.-Hanske-Photo1.jpg

nimrod4
08-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Thanks. That's one of the biggest reasons for my hesitancy in attempting it alone. I am under the impression that rafting across is quite feesible if not at peak summer run off flows. I got a couple packable rafts with repair kits as well if need be... The great thing is it's a 3 hr raft trip out to the parking lot so really only the strenuous hike on the way in.

Heff
09-05-2017, 10:58 PM
hey is the last week of September to late for you, I have a trip planned September 26th-29th. me and a few other guys. I also have a pack raft. the water will be pretty low by then.

Dragless
09-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Lol the first pic looks like you domt even need a bridge id wager the flows are atleast that low right now if not lower