PDA

View Full Version : Lac la Biche blue algae

-JR-
09-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Heard the lake has blue algae this year again.
Can any one confirm how bad it is this sept long weekend ?
When do they remove the boat pier ?

stinkynuts
09-03-2017, 09:39 PM
we tried to fish LLB 2 weeks ago it was Pea soup and yes there was some Blue Green Algae at that time

Talking moose
09-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Was just there today. Some places were thick, other places clear, move around a bit.

guru fisher
09-04-2017, 07:57 AM
to bad that big body of water I think its only going to get worse over the years ...

waterninja
09-04-2017, 09:21 AM
On the AEP advisory web page there are about 15 lakes that have reported Blue-green Algae. Very bad year fo a lot of lakes.

-JR-
09-04-2017, 11:35 AM
On the AEP advisory web page there are about 15 lakes that have reported Blue-green Algae. Very bad year fo a lot of lakes.

Co-worker has a lake that is on that list and it is very clean and clear .
They just tell everyone it has blue/green algae so the crowds stay away.
Almost sounds like ,to get on the list you just need to call it in .

RavYak
09-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Not all lakes on the list are bad. Pigeon and battle werent bad at all when I fished them recently.

Calling Lake is absolutely disgusting... Like trick you into thinking you are in the middle of a grassy field disgusting...

NSR Fisher
09-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Interesting its gotten so bad RavYak, we took a peek at Calling on our way up further north last week and it looked fine from shore in the townsite.

Though it was quite windy that day so maybe the chop broke up the algae mats and it didn't look so bad...

Also on the topic of Lac La Biche, me and TimidHc were stopping for gas just north of Edmonton and a fellow who was on his way back from Lac La Biche told us about the 75CM walleye he caught there. Said he filled all his tags as well as catching the big one.

Some big Eye's coming out of that lake, algae or not.

RavYak
09-04-2017, 12:37 PM
The north end might be not too bad but the whole south shore from boat launch to volkswagen point is very green. I would try north end but the 9 km kayak back to launch sucks enough as is lol.

Fishing slow for everyone too probably because of algae.

CMichaud
09-04-2017, 08:08 PM
LLB was pretty green today at the shore.

My line now looks like it is green spider wire.

Still managed a couple from shore including an 80cm pike

waterninja
09-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Co-worker has a lake that is on that list and it is very clean and clear .
They just tell everyone it has blue/green algae so the crowds stay away.
Almost sounds like ,to get on the list you just need to call it in .

I doubt crowds have anything to do with it. I do agree that AEP can't check out every report.
Depending on currents and wind, one part of a lake can be worse then another.

Talking moose
09-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I doubt crowds have anything to do with it. I do agree that AEP can't check out every report.
Depending on currents and wind, one part of a lake can be worse then another.

This is true. Would be pea soup in one area yet a kilometre away was crystal on Sunday.