PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

SamSteele
09-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Wondering what you do when you see someone using fishing gear in the wrong way? Lately I've seen people fishing with spinning reels upside down because they don't know the handle can be switched, casting spoons out and letting them sit for a few minutes, etc.

So what do you do? Politely introduce yourself and offer to help? Leave them to their own devices?

I'll be honest. I love helping people fish, but I hate to make someone feel embarrassed or assume that they don't know what they are doing so I often leave them alone.

Just curious how everyone else approaches it.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trout_er
09-04-2017, 07:50 PM
I just saw an older dude with 2 younger ladies (maybe his daughters) do exactly what you described. This was on the NSR afternoon today. I left them alone too. I had same thoughts as you did too. Not sure man. I'm afraid they would think it would make them feel stupid or just not comfortable with someone approaching them for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple
09-04-2017, 07:53 PM
In the case of the rod upside down, I'd ask if they wanted the handle switched or not. Sometimes they just don't know.

As for the spoons, sometimes you have to let them sink to get down deeper. I wouldn't say anything to them.

Talking moose
09-04-2017, 07:59 PM
In the case of the rod upside down, I'd ask if they wanted the handle switched or not. Sometimes they just don't know.

As for the spoons, sometimes you have to let them sink to get down deeper. I wouldn't say anything to them.

This.

neilsledder
09-04-2017, 08:06 PM
I would introduce myself and say that they are using there reels wrong. And as for the spoons that could just be a personal preference and wouldn't touch that.

waterninja
09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
I always try to help out newbies, but I also know,that no good deed goes unpunished

RavYak
09-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Depends on what they are doing wrong. If they are doing something clearly because they don't have a clue(like holding a reel upside down) then I will comment. Better to make them feel dumb and get it figured out now then have them waste a few more trips before someone else makes them feel dumb...

If they are just using a strange lure choice etc I will usually just ignore it unless they ask for advice etc.

Bushleague
09-04-2017, 08:31 PM
I know a few people that fish with their spinning reel upside down, and none of them are beginners either. I don't know why, perhaps they just like reeling backwards instead of frontwards, perhaps their grandfathers learned to fish before reel handles could be switched and the habit just got passed down, but personally I just let people fish however they want.

I count down spoons all the time to get them to the bottom, if you aren't familiar with the technique maybe you could ask those guys for a few tips next time?

Tom Pullings
09-04-2017, 08:57 PM
I have no problem giving out helpful advice. You can help someone without making them feel dumb.

SamSteele
09-05-2017, 08:21 AM
I count down spoons all the time to get them to the bottom, if you aren't familiar with the technique maybe you could ask those guys for a few tips next time?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm familiar with using spoons. This was casting into 3 feet of water with a 5 min sinking time off a dock. A bit different than 15' depth and working it over a cabbage bed.

Roderek
09-05-2017, 09:13 AM
My son uses his reel upside down, drives me nuts; however, saying that he almost always catches more fish then the rest of us...

ROA
09-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Never in a million years would I walk up to someone and tell them they are fishing "wrong".

pitw
09-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Never in a million years would I walk up to someone and tell them they are fishing "wrong".

Totally agree cause about the time I'd tell them, they'd pull in a record fish.:sign0161:

3blade
09-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Nope. I have seen enough weird stuff catch fish that I don't offer any unsolicited advice. Ex: a muddler minnow baited with meat, outfishing a spinner rig with a leach. An ex gf that decided a pink jig with a pink plastic salmon egg would catch perch. She was limited out and sitting in the truck, I was grumbling and freezing while doing things the 'proper way' (I did catch up, eventually). I've borrowed/used a few very unconventional methods over the years myself. Leave em be.

NSR Fisher
09-06-2017, 12:34 PM
I usually try and start some small talk before I offer anyone advice.

"Hey, hows it going. Nice day eh? You having any luck?"

If they reply nicely and tell me they are catching lots I leave them alone.

If they are frustrated / need advice they usually just straight up ask after I break the ice.

Sometimes I don't say anything, then I catch one maybe 10 meters down the shore from where they are fishing at. At that point they come over and ask me for advice rather than having me break the ice.

Its all about reading the context of the situation.

I met one older guy who was having a hell of a time, getting snagged, couldn't get bites. Within 15 minutes of standing with him on shore helping him rig up properly I had him land a walleye all on his own using gear I set him up with. I even gave him a handful of the jigs I use, out of good faith.

The guy went from being a little bit grouchy to acting like I was his long lost brother. Told me he's going to use the advice I gave him and teach his stepson how to fish. Definitely gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling :-)

Never had the unfortunate experience of meeting a "F*** off leave me alone" type guy yet but at that point I will move along and leave them be.

Team Anzac
09-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Oh so now you're telling me that the eyes on my rod are to point up and not at the water. That's why they're called eye's, but actually you're rod has the same
Effectiveness with your spinning reel pointing up or down. IMPO