PDA

View Full Version : Stocking trout

Jerry D
09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Has anyone stocked trout before?

If so what's a good fish compared to a bad one?

Ive got a few hatcheries nearby.... prices vary considerably

I've been quoted on rainbows for 300 fish.

Hatchery 1
6 to 8" $2.55
Never asked for larger sizes but they are limited due to family fishing ponds that the hatchery operates. He is 15 minutes from my home but 2 hours from the cottage pond. Very knowledgable. Friendly. Very formal website.

Hatchery 2 - a lot of restaurants puchase mature fish from this hatchery due to flavour apparently from the natural food sources. He is also closest 30 minutes away from pond and would deliver for 60.00 which is very fair. I told him my budget was $1000.00
6 to 8" $ 2.25
8 to 10" $ 2.75
10 to 12" $ 3.75

Hatchery 3
8 to 10" $2.00.... Won't commit to a spring order. Wants to sell the fish this fall. A little pushy...

Hatchery 4 very nice person on the phone. Hatchery had operated since 1960s... said her fish have thick bodies for their length

6 to 8" $3.00
8 to 10" $4.00
10 to 12 $5.00

I'm seriously leaning towards hatchery 2 for balance of price. Customer service and apparent quality.

Should I do a mix of sizes? Hatchery 2 recommended doing the 10 to 12 so the kids could start fishing it right away instead of waiting a season to let them grow.

What would you do?

Thanks!

The Spank
09-05-2017, 08:43 PM
I have stocked a couple ponds and if fed well they grow fast! I always bought 6"-8" or 8"-10". Stocked in spring they will be 12"-14" by fall. The prices on the first two are about average. The last one is a bit high. Fall stocking they won't grow much over winter.

waterninja
09-05-2017, 09:27 PM
The pond we stocked is in it's 4th summer. All Rainbows. Phenomenal growth, though they are well fedand aerated year round. Trout chow from Peavy Mart. After they get to 20-22 inches or around 5-7 lbs they slow down and gain weight and length at a slower pace. We were going to add some fresh stock, but with whirling, and damaged hatcheries, it was hard to fresh supply this year.

Nothing better then bringing someone out and having them catch a trophy size trout 20 minutes from town.
OP, if you have the means and opputunity to stock your own pond, by all means go for it. Years of fun ahead.

Jerry D
09-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

The hatcheries said they would grow 4 to 6 inches per year if they are well fed which is in line with what you said.

I think I would like to get fish that can be fished the year stocked. I think I'll avoid 6 to 8" however I would consider using them once there are already fish in the pond and I'm just trying to keep the numbers up. I'll do about 100, 10 to 12 and maybe 200, 8 to 10 for balance of size and price.

I've heard trout are predators. Will 12 to 14 or 14 to 16" fish be a problem if I stock 6 to 8" in the future?

The Spank
09-06-2017, 10:08 AM
No, you'll have far more worries from Avian or furbearing predators than anything else. Stocked ponds are magnets for Blue Herons, Cormorants, Mink and anything else that has a taste for fish including trespassers. It's a full time gig keeping the predators at bay.

schleprock
09-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Save yourself some money and just go with the six to eight inch ones. If you put the fish in by the middle of May and feed them well, they should be three to three and a half pounds by October.