PDA

View Full Version : BAITING DEER !!!!!!!

nube
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I have been on this site for quite a while now and the more time I spend on here the more I realize that there a lot here that don't know much about rules and regulations. Because of this I have been called unethical or by some thought to be worse. It bugs me because I would like to think I know the rules better than most. I had some picture up of some deer a while ago and was given !#$$% for baiting them.. I was told this was illegal by many here including a forum administrator. This has bothered me. I called fish and wildlife to talk to another officer today to find out if I had the wrong info on it or not since I was told by so many here it was wrong. Again I was told IT IS LEGAL to bait deer for wildlife viewing. This includes trailcameras. He said this is the best method of picure taking for trail cams. His only concern was doing this on land where It was private and introducing a weed into a farmers crop that normaly wouldn't be there and ****ing off the farmer.
Here is the guys name and number because even though I have told you the answere to the question of baiting there will still be some that won't believe it.
427-3574 and the guys name was Andy

bullgetter
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I put out grain for deer every winter to use my game cams. I do wait for hunting season to close so no one can accuse me of hunting over bait. Otherwise I do not think there is anything wrong with it.

Morbius131
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
As far as I know the only time baiting deer is illegal is when it is used for hunting purposes. There are lots of people that use bait with trailcams and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Morb

RollnBurn
01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree that as long as you are not hunting game over your bait piles (bears excluded) that it is O.K. However a new concern has arisen recently over baiting that i think should not be ignored. It is believed that CWD can be transmitted by muzzle contact as well as urine and i believe feces as well. I would be concerned that if a bait pile pulls enough deer together that it may be a source of contamination of spreading of disease. Cwd is a faily new concern here in Alberta but my personal opinion is that we as hunters and game afficianados (sp?) should do everything possible to be careful we do not add to the spread of this disease. I try to never project my beliefs onto another person but this may be an opportunity for us to talk about it and spread knowledge amongst each other. Perhaps multiple small piles slightly spread out would achieve the same goal for your camera / viewing but mitigate the chances of muzzle contact and disease spread? Hopefully this is not too far off topic but i would like to know others opinions about how bait piles may relate to cwd. Sharing of information spreads knowledge, which leads to wisdom, and will hopefully spread understanding and acceptance.

I am definately not judging anyone, just hoping to open this topic for conversation so i can collect some more knowledge and experiences from the members here.

Rolln

nube
01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
where were you guys when I was getting raked over the coals for baiting a couple weeks ago? I agree there is a concern about CWD for sure. I would think the Saskatchewan boys would be talking about this but then again I'm sure they don't want to stop their hunting over bait oppotunity.

aka bushmaster
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
lol, nube, I got raked over the coals here 2 years ago for asking about planting a deer garden. Nobody could actually believe someone would do it for the deer's sake. My garden has since died out (drought) but now I wished it was still around since I now have a couple of trail cams.:D

Baiting
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
You will notice once you have been here awhile that people get jumped on if they say something that others don't fully understand OR they jump to conclusions. For example, not having a tag on when the deer pic is taken. About 10 years ago I contacted F/W about growing "game food" on my property. They sent me a lot of info on what to grow. Others will swear up and down that it is illegal. I decided to do this because it was positive for deer survival. The Americans do this on a very large scale and even have landowners who band together to decide what to grow, where and even regulate the amount of deer shot, sex, and rack size. The result has been a large increase in the numbers and size of bucks shot in many of those areas. People think that once you put a "special" bait down, all the deer in the county will be there and of course these deer throw caution to the wind and are easily killed. Would it be any different than an oat field on a farmer's land? Nube, just try to be more understanding, and try to educate without the name calling, etc that some on this board resort to. BL

jrs
01-10-2007, 09:53 PM
If you go through the time and effort for trail camera pics by baiting that just shows your interested in the animals and not just during open season. If i had land in my area i know i'd plant a ton of willows/saskatoon/chokecherry/dogwood for the mulies (birds too i suppose). Wouldn't help to as so much attract much during the hunting season but they'de be in there browsing hard during the winter, i'd definetly have to pick up some trail cameras. Maybe next year i'll have a project lined up;) I do enjoy all the trail cam pics, awesome!

Craftyhunter
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't have a problem with baiting deer, but since its illegal in Alberta for hunting I follow the law.

Food plots however are NOT baiting. Food plots provide a source of feed for all types of wildlife throughout the year (if built properly). Anyone saying this is "wrong" or "unethical" doesn't really have conservation as a priority. Farmers grow whatever makes them money, this doesnt always equate to feed for deer. Pasture, while good for cattle doesnt provide high quality feed for deer. Food plots properly built and adequately maintained provide this for wildlife. Small food plots are unsustainable because they are just that-too small. A good food plot will be a minimum of 50 by 50 meters. And unless your an idiot hunting your food plots heavily just insures the deer only showing up at night.

Rackmastr
01-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Pasture, while good for cattle doesnt provide high quality feed for deer

Crafty,
While I'm not opposed to food plots, I'm wondering why you say this? I know of several areas of pasture that provide amazing grass and feed for elk and deer. Just curious if you've done any research to this or assume it because it doesnt look as good? Native grasses in pasture actually have a pretty high protein count.

Re: Baiting
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Perhaps what he was thinking is that by the time winter rolls in there isn't much feed left on a cattle pasture. Very few farmers run carry-over for the deer.

lethalconnection
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey i say power to yah with the whole feed for the animals, there is nothing wrong with it unless it is between Sept 7 and Dec 20 ( or what ever your deer season is where you hunt)then i may see a problem with it but any other time then that hey feed them all you want.

baiting
01-10-2007, 11:44 PM
LETHALCONNECTION
Still nothing wrong with it if you do feed them during those dates. Just can't hunt over it. I know some people that feed them in the backyard all year long and I don't have a problem with it.

Craftyhunter
01-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Yes I have done research, I attend college for two years studying vegetation and soils. "Most" pastures fall into two categories 1: Native grassses 2: Seeded specialty forage. Native grass pastures can further be broken down into two categories of wooded and prairrie. Carrying capacities of native grasslands is by far lower than seeded pasture. In fact native grass species are not higher in protein than specially selective plants. Thats why farmers seed down these different grass mixtures. Both pastures are generally a mixture of perennial and annual grasses. With a large majority of the plants being the annual grasses. Grasses have lower protien percentages than periennels specifically those in the legume family. Farmers generally plant mixtures that are cost effective on marginal land.

But I think I wasn't specific in my information about food plots. Food plots when properly constructed will provide high protein plants that are selected based on several factors.
Soil quality, available light, annual heat units, available moisture, plant life cycle. You can plant a food plot that has plants seeding out at different times of the year making available the highest protein percentages at all times during the growing season. You can add plants that you wouldn't have in a conventional pasture such as alfalfa (due to cost of seeding and potential bloat of comercial animals). Annuals, perennials and soft shrubs. Many of which are not native to Alberta. Basically you get the best plants therefore the deer recieve the highest quality feed. Many of these plants are not used in pastures due to cost and situation. Thats why deer head straight for annual crops in farm land over and above hay fields. In the areas I hunt deer, they never feed in pasture land. They winter over in hay fields and soft wood materials in the bush. And quality of feed is why generally the larger antlered animals are found in farmland. Its also why there is a higher density of animals.

While I'm sure these pastures you know of are good pastures they will not carry the same number of animals per acre a well built food plot will.

Food Plots
01-11-2007, 09:32 AM
"Food plots however are NOT baiting. Food plots provide a source of feed for all types of wildlife throughout the year (if built properly). Anyone saying this is "wrong" or "unethical" doesn't really have conservation as a priority." SOUNDS GOOD Where do i SIGN UP.

jrs
01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
"While I'm sure these pastures you know of are good pastures they will not carry the same number of animals per acre a well built food plot will."

Native forages such as northern wheat grass, rough fescue, winter fat, and several shrubs commonly found on native range will be far more benefitial to wildlife in the long run. Food plots are often short term and reseeding is required. Many of the introduced forages will also destroy the soil over time and reduce plant growth dramatically. Especialy in the drier parts of Alberta, native forage should be left alone as opposed to food plots. In the winter, native forages hold there protein extremely well while most common "foodplot" species are very poor. Many of our desireable species would prefer shrubs in the winter anyway (elk, moose, mule deer). Not sure what information your using to make your statements but don't try convincing anyone to plow native prairie and seed with intros. This has already wrecked tons of habitat. If you want to increase deer production in an area base it on the limiting factors, likely good cover and winter browse. Windbreaks planted with natives such as chokecherry, saskatoon, dogwood, willows, etc are going to benefit the critters in the long run as opposed to lentils and alfalfa. Cover and browse will beat summer food any day. Unless your trying to increase antler growth like the southern states by planting certain foods? Most ranchers with tame pasture would gladly trade for native prairie for higher animal production and "drought insurance". (introduced food plot species will die out and then be completely useless). If its already a plowed area i support perrenial cover of any sort but no trade over the native habitats.

nafegavas
01-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Legality aside, I fail to see why baiting with food is bad but baiting with real or artificial **** is okay.

Rackmastr
01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Crafty,
Yep you're more experienced than I am in the soil/grass/pasture information, and thats good as you hear a lot of guys spouting off without knowing much. You made it sound as if pasture isnt good at all for feed, so I was just making sure you knew that some native grasses are quite good for wildlife. In fact, I'm glad for native grass and pasture...if the world was full of food plots and agriculture, we'd have a pretty ugly landscape....
Anyways, thanks for the info....

Shedcrazy
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
JRS is correct about veg selection. One must be very careful what species are planted in a food plot. That is how invasives have entered our native grasslands and have cost millions of dollars damage.
While most exotics might have short-term gain, native grass/frobs are here for a reason. They are better at surviving droughts, carry their nutrients throughout the season where some non-native grasses have limited grazing timings (crested wheat).
Grains are much better for feeding at baits due to their annual life cycle.
Never plant food plots in native pasture.
Most fish and wildlife and natural resource staff would be against feeding wildlife as it promotes weaker animals surviving like CWD animals and promoting the spread.

Questions
01-11-2007, 11:11 PM
jrs, which common foodplot species doesn't hold their own protein very well? Which introduced forages destroy soil? Shedcrazy, I think the reason F/W does not promote artificial feeding is because it has to be done the whole season for it to be effective. For example, feeding hay to starving deer in late April is not effective because they have not "built up" enough of the right bacteria, etc, in their stomachs to break down the hay. As plants begin to grow again in the spring, the deer begin to eat the "fresh green" plants a little at a time. This allows the bacteria, which will breakdown the fresh stuff, to begin to multiply again. Eventually all they eat is the green stuff. Once the greenery is beginning to disappear, they eat other food to grow the correct bacteria again. Providing something different is not going to hurt the deer. They eat more than one food source, for sure. I don't think that any of us could/would introduce something foreign to our pastures that would wreck thousands of acres of land. And any grain we get would probably be from an approved source, correct, or am I wrong. If you got the grain from a farmer, it should be ok. We have many laws here which would (I hope) prevent such things from happening again. That type of thing happened many years ago. BL

jrs
01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
"jrs, which common foodplot species doesn't hold their own protein very well? Which introduced forages destroy soil?"

Crested wheatgrass is probably the most planted grass in foodplots, great in spring and early summer, mine as well feed them cardboard all winter. Same with most smooth brome cultivars found even in most fish and game land projects (still not as thick as crested wheat). As for lentils and alfalfa, not sure if you've seen what it looks like after freezing but it decomposes quick and if a foot of snow falls, is unavailabble for deer. Where i see it used mostly for deer food in southern alberta it dries up and blows away early winter or molds during wet years. As for soil, look under a field of crested wheat, you'll see what i mean. If you want a patch of these intro's here and there they may be benefitial but no one should have the idea they're better than what grew here naturally (especially protein wise). Any perenial cover is good but nothing beets a chunk of native prairie with lots of shrubs and forbs. I've studied range management through several courses and practice some of it as a hobby, foodplots have some potential but plant selection is often very poor. Opening the land to invaders while planting these foodplots is also problematic (cheat grass competition, thistles, knapweed etc)

The supplemental feeding by foodplots can cause CWD concerns as well, but the idea of killing animals stems from past times when alfalfa would be thrown out in January while deer were starving, they'de eat it and due to the bacteria process mentioned before would bloat and die. A bit of perenial food here and there definetly will benefit deer if available and if a LIMITING FACTOR. Good cover would often be more benefitial.

nube
01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
One thing I have noticed is that deer like pea fields all year long. Is this because of the high protein in them.. Would this be a benificial crop to grow for them better than wheat or something else?

jrs
01-12-2007, 06:27 PM
yup, if enough residuals left on the field its great for deer all year. Thats also why its grown for forage. I'd say planting crops that benefit wildlife is very different from foodplots however. Most fields where peas are grown are plowed every year anyways so its nice to see crops like that around, especially if the landowner can turn a profit still. Accross the south you need irrigation for good pea yields however so few farmers use them (except as a soil booster which also benefits wildlife for the season). Negatives still include poor soil stability over the next winter around where i live, lots of soil drifts on the east end, the roots simply decompose quick.

wheatgrass
01-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for replying jrs. Is wheatgrass one of the common seeds which are planted in southern alberta ditches to prevent erosion? I have heard of wheatgrass planted in ditches and pipelines but not in foodplots. You are correct about invasion by less than desireable plants like thistle when the ground is worked up. Animals seem to love the thistles once they have been frozen, did you know that? According to a U of A study, citied in a Whitetail deer manual, the most common plant eaten by deer in the winter months is alfalfa (in Alberta). I agree with you and one other writer (me too), they must have local, natural feed in addition to the food plot. BL

101sonny
01-12-2007, 07:59 PM
like i said one pic never hear from me again Yah something tell's me you would never be happy no matter what.You are Grasping at straws (why You ask cause you have nothing )to go on running on empty but hey you cant see past your ?

katts69
01-12-2007, 08:02 PM
nube, seeing how you already spoke with an CO, if one was to put out a bait pile, for the trail cam purposes. when would one have to cease putting bait piles out or how far away would you have to hunt so they say you arent hunting over the bait. like is 400 yds far enough away, cause i could still reach out and touch them with my 300 mag, lol. anyways was just wondering if you knew the exact stipulations. thanks, rob

jrs
01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
"Is wheatgrass one of the common seeds which are planted in southern alberta ditches to prevent erosion?"

Theres actually a lot of different wheatgrasses and some of them are great (eg northern wheatgrass). Most of Alberta's ditches are planted with smooth brome. Crested wheat was largely used for pipelines and farmyards and as such is still everywhere. Its one of the cheapest grass seeds out there and is used for some erosion control but dies when the roots are wet too long. Reed canary grows in teh real wet spots and is better for that.

As for alfalfa being the whitetails food of choice, definetly. But whitetails weren't even here in any numbers before agriculture so thats a bit different. I've heard the thistle thing but never witnessed it, its still a terrible plant to have growing everywhere. Interesting though.

thistle
01-13-2007, 01:05 AM
jrs, I have seen thistles eaten right down to the ground by deer and moose. BL

nube
01-13-2007, 01:51 AM
ROB, I put he number of the officer and his name up here if you want to talk to him. The deer can be baited all year long if you want but I wouldn't be caught close to to it with a gun. Even if you got caught with a gun I don't know if they can charge you with hunting. I think there has to be blood around the bait site. I read something like this in a game warden mag. I think. I think that is how Loyd Mcmohan got off with some of his charges.
As for WARDEN here I don't think you do know who I hunt with because there are about a dozen guys on this board tha I have hunted with or know. Why would it matter anyways? The reason why you are a coward is because obviously I have nothing to hide. You on the other hand are afraid to even let people know your name. You won't even register on this site and it shows what type of a person you really are. Why don't you tell me who you are and in what way I've wronged you. Obviously I must have done something.

jrs
01-13-2007, 11:31 AM
"jrs, I have seen thistles eaten right down to the ground by deer and moose."

Neat, they're still not a species i'd want to grow on purpose just for deer food. The palatability wouldn't last very long into the winter either, as they dry out i'm sure not too many animals want to chew on them. Its nice to hear somethings eating them, i've never seen anything near the thistles myself in the south, patches get bigger and bigger everyyear, deer always stick to the openings with rough fescue or in the shrub patches. All the moose i see in the winter are always in a large dogwood patch near one of my ice fishing spots or in willow patches along the river.

jrs
01-13-2007, 08:00 PM
You know, jrs, I thought the thistle patch would get larger too, but it hasn't. I have a feeling that when they get eaten down it really does hamper their growth. Are you talking the Old Man River? I am originally from the "Bridge". By the way, the thistles would get eaten down well before the end of November, so there may still be some nutrition available to the animals. BL

Craftyhunter
01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Well jrs I see you are well educated on the subject or native grasses and forages, while I see though that you information seems to be addressed to southern Alberta only. While I admit that when I frame my responses I think in terms of northern Alberta. You are correct about native forages over introduced forages on the soil types of southern alberta. And I agree more damage has been done with crested wheatgrass than any other. Its been quite a few years since I did any lease seeding in southern Alberta but we had already switched to native seed blends.

don't try convincing anyone to plow native prairie and seed with intros

Just to be clear I never said that.

My information is for those in the more nothern climes, with different soil types and different moisture levels. Any food plot that is constructed should be well researched. And not everything that goes into a food plot will die out and have to be reseeded. It all depends on what you put in there.

while most common "foodplot" species are very poor

Now this one I'm not sure what your basing your information on. I don't know what a "common" food plot species is but if your refering to those U.S. blends, well they are put together for much more warmer climates with more moisture. I've only looked at a hand full of those blends and none of them are suitable for here in my own opinion.

Anything I would put together would be a custom blend of my own based on what I think the deer in my area would prefer. It'll cost quite a bit more but be worth it in the long run. Also I won't be building small 50x50 plots, mine will be more like 150x150 with trasitional zones of soft wooded shrubs for winter browsing. The areas I'm looking at all have large timber stands for cover.

Drake
01-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I wouldnt let some jack ass get under your skin. Let him think what he wants. He is probally jealous of your success'. The coward won't even let us know who he is........grow up Warden and take your poor attitude and unfounded accusations else where.

jrs
01-14-2007, 12:26 AM
BL
I've seen some on the Oldman but its usually too dry right around home for the stupid things to grow. Down by Waterton, and the Provincial parks down there i've noticed thistles getting worse every year. It would be nice if something chewed them down more aggresively in those areas. Theres too much other foods with high protein and palatability.

Craftyhunter,

Sorry if i came accross a bit negatively, i re-read it and my tone was poor, apologies. I see you have a knowledge of foodplots and seem to have a good idea of how to establish them in your area. You would probably agree with me however on the vast majority of attempts being made with little research and poor species choice. I have seen lots of guys plow up beautiful native grass/shrub habitat and replace it with alfalfa, crested wheat, and several other lentil species. It was very unsuccesful in many areas. They had the best intentions but ended up destroying lots of great habitat. I've seen the same thing in the foothills with devastating effects.

And my comment about plowing the native habitats came accross as up to very recently many people would reccomend this to wildlife concerned landowners and it didn't work out well (worse than what was previously there). Nice to discuss this though, its a topic i do enjoy playing with. I'm always trying to convince my grain farming buddies to throw in a bit shelterbelt for the local wildlife, keeps me busy in the off season. Good luck with your land projects.

Craftyhunter
01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
I see we agree on many points. The worst land use mistake the pioneers ever made was plowing up perfectly good grassland and turn it into marginal to poor cultivated land. Its too bad that the message isn't getting out there. I remember ten years ago when the message started that whenever possible to seed back to native grasses. I see from your responses that its an up hill battle in getting buy in from the landowners.

More costly?
01-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Craftyhunter, do you really think it would be more costly to put in a custom blend of seeds? Some of those so called whitetail seeds are quite costly compared to ordering the same without the fancy bag and marketing ploys. The game blends which seed companies in Alberta make up are relatively cheap. I haven't looked for quite some time. I think pioneers were almost forced to plow up the land in order to survive. My grandparents came to the Medicine Hat area about 1905 and grew everything they needed, including grains, vegetables, etc. Of course as the years progressed they would expand the plowed up areas and try new crops. Human nature I guess. Same as what we, as a society today, are doing with just about anything we do. Too bad we can't revert back to the good old days. BL

nube
01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Obviously you are not making any friends here WARDEN. Doesn't look like anyone really cares what you have to say and this is not the first time. Nobody I hunt with has ever been charged and convicted of anything and I have never either. You can tell all the stories and whatever else your tiny little brain can come up with and it won't bother me. I think people can see through it all. If I had a picure for you with the dates I would post it but If You look at all the pictures on the board here it is pretty rare that a guy sets up a camera with a date on it with his animal. I have already told you that it is legal to bait year long so there isn't anything wrong with that.

sharpstick
01-14-2007, 07:23 PM
I was wondering what he was going to do with the pic myself nube!

101sonny
01-14-2007, 07:32 PM
If I had a picure for you with the dates I would post it I wouldnt post anything for this "warden " 100 % Of nothing is nothing warden is fishing in a empty barrel.

Re:
01-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Crafty I believe that the early settlers had no choice in the plowing of the land. They staked out a homestead and then were given so much time to have the land cleared, broken and cropped to keep the homestead.

7 REM MAG
01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
hey sharp i think hes gonna photoshop his face on nubes body cause the way warden sounds hes never harvested a respectable animal.Oh and warden whats the matter with the person he outfits with??

Craftyhunter
01-14-2007, 11:29 PM
No trying to insult anybodies great grandma or pa, just stating a fact. While the level of knowledge wasn't there in the past, mistakes where made. Hell we're still making the same mistakes in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Just saying that the land on the prairries was never ment for a plow. Settlers and the government just didn't know any better.

jrs
01-14-2007, 11:37 PM
"I believe that the early settlers had no choice in the plowing of the land. They staked out a homestead and then were given so much time to have the land cleared, broken and cropped to keep the homestead."

Chunks of the Milk River Ridge are still being plowed under to this day and replanted with so-called high quality hay crops. This is clearly a choice. I hate it when i see another little chunk removed each spring.

lilsundance
01-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Guys its as plain as the nose on your face. He is baiting you. Ignore him no matter what he says. This is a good thread that has some good information in it. I would hate to have it go down the drain because of one person trying to light a fire under nube.

Craftyhunter
01-14-2007, 11:47 PM
BL,

I'm not actually sure how much its going to run, but as soon as you go to less popular (therefore less supply) seed costs go up. And your not ordering 300 bags of the stuff so it always costs more to get things like that in smaller quantities. I think I had better whip out the old books and start some research for a few different seed blends. Also transplanting shrubs can be a headache as well. Mind you there a few in the greenhouse's that may or may not work better but cost an arm and leg. I still remember getting native seed blends in the Hat and them running $600 for 50 kg bags. Not cheap.

Wow
01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Crafty, that is really expensive compared to some of the commercial "whitetail blends". You dont have to look anything up for me I was just curious about the cost. Thanks BL

gunslinger
01-15-2007, 02:18 PM
You guys have taught me a little about soil and land boys, nice information there,

jrs
01-15-2007, 05:04 PM
"I still remember getting native seed blends in the Hat and them running $600 for 50 kg bags."

Still pricey. I may be needing a massive amount of native seed come next year and the species i want seem to run from $8-$14 a pound, consider they reccomend a minimum 10-15 pounds per acre, its a big investment. I think pipeline reclamation is keeping the price up. I've been told theres some students making $10 000 a summer collecting seed by hand in Saskatchewan, not bad. Has anyone on here bought bulk native seed before or can anyone reccomend any local dealers (southern half of Alberta). I've emailed a few but its hard getting info on what other companies may exist (maybe some more desireable cultivars). Thanks if anyone has some more ideas. I found some great links on shrub propagation, i'll see if i can find them again but the info was great and makes it a bit more affordable.

Craftyhunter
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
jrs,

have you checked out an outfit by the name of prarrie seeds?

There is also Proven seed

jrs
01-15-2007, 09:06 PM
No i hadn't. I have full estimates from North Star and a local individual, didn't seem to have a business affiliation. Two or three companies haven't responded with estimates but did say they carry some native seed. Its actually been really hard finding companies that deal native seed and impossible finding any stock, i'll have to order in May if i want to seed next spring. I'm checking as many places out as possible Thanks a lot.

I'm still working on rounding up my shrub resources, hopefully it can help someone else out as well.

jrs

Shedcrazy
01-15-2007, 09:23 PM
jrs..I will send you some info tomorrow from work....there is Hanna seeds, pick seeds and prairie seeds as the main ones I believe. If you want phone numbers I can send them tomorrow if I remember.

jrs
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Here are a few sites i use when looking at plant choice as wildlife habitat or for reclamation of wildlife habitat. Always research each plant on 2-3 different sites as info may not be applicable to our area or much better choices may be available. Hope someone else can use this. Thanks for the other info guys.

General Shelterbelt Recommendations
www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$dep...webdoc2721 (http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/webdoc2721)

www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/shelte...htm#info_1 (http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/shelterbelt/faqs1_e.htm#info_1)
www.iisd.org/pdf/2003/climate_blair_english.ppt

Plant Choice

www.usask.ca/agriculture/...index.html (http://www.usask.ca/agriculture/plantsci/classes/range/index.html)

www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture...01s01.html (http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/fruit/bld01s01.html)

www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/shelte...tree_e.htm (http://www.agr.gc.ca/pfra/shelterbelt/sbctree_e.htm)

www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$dep...endocument (http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex981?opendocument)

www.plants.usda.gov/java/factSheet (http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/factSheet)

Other Ideas

www.id.blm.gov/publicatio...p16_21.pdf (http://www.id.blm.gov/publications/TR1730-3/p16_21.pdf)

jrs
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
"there is Hanna seeds, pick seeds and prairie seeds"

I found contact info for all except pick seed. If you could help me out that would be great. Number or webpage, i couldn't find either. Thanks guys.

cmfic1
01-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Good reading here for the soil/growing.

Also good reading for the Humour!

Nube, dont let this clown bother you with all these accusations. If I had more time, I would be right beside you, doing the Game cam thing. And I would surely have no prob using a cam with a date/time in the pic.!!!!

shelter belts
01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Here's a source for seedlings from Brooks, they deliver to local ag offices throughout the province. Spring delivery, have to order in advance
www.marketland.net/ (http://www.marketland.net/)

Duffy4
01-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Anyone who is not posting about "baiting deer" or "food plots" is off topic and should take it outside or go to PMs (if you are registered) to engage in a ****ing contest.

And that is not just meant for warden but all you otheres who respond to him with personnel attacks that are WAY off topic.

Robin in Rocky

Rub Sign
01-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Good point Duffy.

I've deleted most of the offending (i.e., juvenile) messages and a lot of their replies. If I missed some, let me know.

We could lock this thread, but it appears to otherwise be a good discussion. So, please follow the board rules (posted at the top of each forum page) and stick to topic. This is not the place for personal attacks, you just reflect upon yourself.

Craftyhunter
01-18-2007, 03:20 AM
Please do NOT lock this thread down there is some great info here. One of the few threads where new info is presented on the board.

nube
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Ther is a lot of good info here and I have learned a few things. I'm sure things will be fine s long as our "friend " doesn't start posting again

Duffy4
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
nube
did you have to put in that little "barb" about "our friend"? That is the kind of thing that will encourage people to post in retaliation and start this thread down hill again. You are now the "instagator" and should get the additional 2 min. penalty.

Robin in Rocky

Re: Re:Settlers
01-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I vote for duffy to be a mod he every where telling you like it is and he is spending more time on the fourm now then when he was down under,you can get rid of morb he is not much of a people person.

nube
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Duffy. Everyone needs a penalty or 2 to make it fun . At least it's only 2 min.

Duffy4
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Suppose someone put out a pile of grain and molasus on the ground and put up their name and licence # at the bait site and on trails leading to it as you are supposed to for a bear baiting. Then while sitting in your tree stand waiting for Mr. bear to come in, a deer comes down the trail. (it is in Oct. and the bear and deer seasons are both open) Is there anything legally or "ethically" wrong with shooting the deer?

Robin in Rocky

walleyes
01-18-2007, 04:39 PM
!!! BANG !!!!

nube
01-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Forgot to mention I tried a new bait the other day. It was a sack of patatoes and they love them. Cheap as well if you get them from a patato farm. How would something like that be for their health? I would think it would be better than dry grass this time of year.

cmfic1
01-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Duffy, in this situation, I believe the 180 rule would come into effect!

jkn...I would agree with nube, You would be in the penalty box if caught.

hey nube......patato is done this way P O T A T O

Re: Back on track
01-18-2007, 05:11 PM
(Is there anything legally or "ethically" wrong with shooting the deer?)I have to agree with walleyes on this one :D
!!! BANG !!!! :D I would still vote for you duffy #1 MOD

nube
01-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I would call it Illegal. Bears you are allowed to shoot over bait and deer you can't. If it were legal to call it a bear bait you could just dump a few truckloads of grain the last couple days of October that would attract deer all through November and hunt over it. I wouldn't think that would be right.

jrs
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
"Forgot to mention I tried a new bait the other day. It was a sack of patatoes and they love them. Cheap as well if you get them from a patato farm. How would something like that be for their health? I would think it would be better than dry grass this time of year."

Not sure, but could it have the same effect as alfalfa and cause digestive problems when there accustomed to low quality food? I've watched mulies eat them in the fall when the carrot fields where being plowed (they return to carrots once the tractors leave). Interesting bait. I know of a feedlot in southern Alberta that sustains the herd on potato peels so it must be fairly good.

Duffy4
01-19-2007, 01:13 AM
What is the 180 rule??

nube
01-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Meaning take a look at yourself. That is what was meant Duffy.
Anyone here have anything to say about the potatoes and the nutrients from them for deer. Just trying to find a food source that will benefit them a little better.

Duffy4
01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
A friend was doing some post season scouting and was seeing a lot of deer droppings in a stubble field that were just about orange. From his front room window overlooking the north sask. river he could sometimes see deer walking accross the river to his side and the stubble field. In the spring he desided to take a long drive around to see where the deer were spending their time on the other side of the river. He found a market garden and the deer had been digging up left in the ground, carrots. Thus the orange poop.

Robin in Allberta

jrs
01-19-2007, 05:33 PM
They love carrots. In the summer we watch mulies actually carry cobs of corn out into the coulees to nibble in peace. I do not know of a carrot field within 4 km of the Oldman that doesn't get a few mulies come October, good luck with spot and stalk in a carrot field though. One funny thing the mulies will key in on is pumpkins, they peel the skin off with their incisors and the farmers get very angry as no one wants a scratched up pumpkin for halloween.

Morbius131
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
As for shooting a deer while hunting bear over bait I personally feel it will be illegal. While your intent wasn't to harvest a deer over the bait, you knew it was there and should be responsible or ethical enough to let it walk.

I too have been out in the field doing some post season scouting and come across deer invaiding the farmers personal garden looking for plowed under carrots, potatoes and beat greens. I have also see WT deer hauling corn cobs into the bush. It is pretty funny to see them try to pick up a couple at once.

Good discussion and a lot of good information here

Morb

CJ your opinion is noted.

baiting
01-19-2007, 10:14 PM
I thought there might be some reason on this sight , but after the comment about a deer walking into ur bear bait in the middle of oct ,u must be f#%$#^%#ing kidding, The wildlife act states baiting with the intent to hunt big game , that means all big game unless there is a baiting season (bears) only , the 180 rule is if the deer is bigger then 180 u kill it no matter what the circumstance , that seems about the norm for this forum. what idont understand is the guy who runs this forum cleans up the site but allows this crap to be talked about. all ur doing here is giving ideas to idiots that they might get away with baiting. And for ur potatos CALL UR BIOLOGIST AND SEE WHAT HE/SHE SAYS. NO ONE ON THIS SITE IS GOING TO BEABLE TO TELL U

7 REM MAG
01-20-2007, 12:57 AM
i think someone here needs his own penalty box! another reason we should be registered only

Craftyhunter
01-20-2007, 02:46 AM
HAHAHAHaHA

And for ur potatos CALL UR BIOLOGIST AND SEE WHAT HE/SHE SAYS. NO ONE ON THIS SITE IS GOING TO BEABLE TO TELL U

I got em on speed dial. Hahahaha. If the deer eat it I'm sure their fine with it. Hahahahahaha

NO ONE ON THIS SITE IS GOING TO BEABLE TO TELL U
Except the "WARDEN". Is that the warden of the remand or the ladies auxillary? Hahahahaha.

Duffy4
01-20-2007, 11:35 AM
"while sitting in your tree stand waiting for Mr. bear to come in, a deer comes down the trail."

Is what I actually said in my post. If I was driving to my bear bait location and I saw a deer do you think it would be ok to shoot it?

If I had parked my truck and was getting my stuff ready to walk in to my bear bait and I saw a deer could I shoot that one?

If I was walking quietly into my bait site and I saw a deer on a cutline 50 meters from the bait site, could I shoot it?

Some people like to "read between the lines" and "assume motives and actions" when on the board. And usually they assume the worst case.

Got to go check on my trail cam that has been out all week. Maybe I will put some potatoe pealings out in front of it and see what happens.

Robin in Rocky

Shedcrazy
01-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Frist off, there are bioogists, natural resource pers that are on this forum...So warden I think you are the one with limit info.
Ok...my limit info on using potatoes as feed which is very limited as I have never dealt with feed programs for deer.
Potatoes were used for feed in many deer feer programs in the states. I believe deer feed on potates crops often (prefer the tops). Most of the value would be in the tops and then the skins.
The potaotes wouldn't be as rich as some others sources of feed.
A note on the feed programs is that most states have stopped them since it helped with the spread of TB and CWD in areas but then again this were huge feed programs but some feed plots of trail cameras.

Another side note...if they are freezing and thawing..you might be making vodka and the deer can have a party!!:rollin

nube
01-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't mind talking to a biologist but I wouldn't want to waste their time over a question like potatoes. From the info on this thread that guys have it would seem like there would be someone that would know. Threre is a lot of good info here that I haven't thought of much before.

7 REM MAG
01-20-2007, 12:20 PM
i would politely ask him to leave because the alfalfa field i would be sitting over would soon turn into a very large bait pile in the eyes of the "warden"

lilsundance
01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
are u kidding, sitting over a bait pile of anykind , and a deer moose elk , anything but a bear walks in its baiting, ur not wasting bioligists time thats their job ,and iwas right the biologist on this site couldt answer it, look up how cwd is transfered nube that might give u some insight wether potatos are really that good , and 7mm any crop or food plot are completely legal.

Shedcrazy
01-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok...not sure what you think biologist do but they don't give legal advice about bait piles.....also if you know exactly how CWD is transfered you should tell all ther researchers how...There are still a lot questions. They transfer it some how but they are not sure how...Unless with all your wisdom you know.

Back to the question. Sorry Nube but I have no more info on it...except it is used in the states as are apples, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots.....
Warden if know so much about potatoes as deer fed lets here it? They do feed on them in fields and are feed it on game farms so it does seems like a cheap fed source.

walleyes
01-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Why did you edit you're last post 7mag I thought it was hilarious,,,

7 REM MAG
01-20-2007, 01:54 PM
if i wasnt hunting over a field i would take the potatoes i was using as bait and throw them.

Brady
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Folks, please try to stay on topic here. If this discussion cannot continue with out the insults, it will be closed.

Brock1
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
who is this warden guy anyway, ?? he seems to enjoy cutting the site down but continues to post. And why is he not a registered member? I especially like the response to nube ; no one on this site will be able to answer your question about potatoes anyway. How the F*&^ does he know who is on the site?? time to start allowing registered members only on, this guys from his own little planet. B.

Re: seed
01-21-2007, 04:36 PM
What's with the registered members comments? The most blatant, crude and disrespectful posts on this topic come from the registered members. I have not logged in so my post looks unregistered. All you registered do-gooders can feel free to gang up on me and call me names etc. to pat yourselves on the back.

In regards to the potatoes, I am not a wildlife biologist, but from the info I know potatoes are hardly a complete nutritional product. Any feed that is placed for deer can be hazardous to their health. If they find it more accessible and palatable than what they have been eating they may switch to a full diet of it suddenly and actually starve to death because they do not have the necessary enzymes to break down the nutrients in the new food source. This is common knowledge to anyone involved with supplemental feeding programs for deer.

As far as communicable disease is concerned, anything that is done that results in bringing the deer into closer contact with each other and a direct contact of body fluids (saliva on feed pile) increases the spread of communicable diseases. The exact mode of transmission of CWD is not known, but it is known that it spreads more rapidly in areas of greater contact. So any type of supplemental feed programs that are undertaken should take this information into account - you may not be helping the populations in your area.

As for the issue of bear bait. If you had knowledge there was a bait pile which was attractive to deer and subsequently shot a deer at the bait pile, I would not want to be you trying to explain it to a judge. If you had a pile or rotten fish and beaver offal and the deer wandered by I think your chances might be better.

nube
01-21-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with you Brock about registering . If your not it seems easier for people to stir things up. Obviously nobody will have a problem with you if you are not trying to stir things up. It just seems like a few of us get tired of certain people here always trying to start something when they don't have a clue.

Brady
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
FINALLY .I rest my case ,the one guy on this site that has made total and complete sense of this forum is a unregistered user (shooter47) . he is absolutley right with all the topics and all his answers were common sense.
Warden out

Shedcrazy
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Actually most of answer was already said in this forum and the other one you just chose to not read it.
Shooter47 is right but others have said this before on this topic and nube's other topic.

I for one have never said to feed deer and don't believe in feeding wildlife. I do know most SRD staff would not recommend it (stated earlier). CWD threat of feeding deer has been raised on this site many times again not new info.

As for potatoes Nube just asked a question. Are they 100% of their recommended daily balanced diet. NO of course not but I am going to use some common sense and judging from earlier photos believe he is not dumping truckloads.
Would I feed potatoes..no but I wouldn't deer.
I was just stating that they are used and do feed on them in south Alberta.

Warden everyone can learn from others on this site and no one knows everything. Your approach to people and judgements of who's is on this site and what they might know shows your own intelligence.

Re: Re:
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Warden you seem to have some good insight into things but your manner is very confrontational. Most of the guys on this site don't deal well with confrontation.

Re: Re:
01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Shed, most things are said already but they are so mixed up in the ego and juvenile reactive attitudes and the reading comprehension problems that most can't pick them out. They are not clearly delineated as the correct answers. The "registered" users on this site need a reality check of wherein lies their problem.

Shedcrazy
01-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Well it does make it hard to respond when people get off topic and just insult no matter if they are registered or not.

As far as correct answers it is hard to say there are correct answers on some of the issues. Some are legal but might not be be best practise, not talking about baiting.

Maybe we need a new topic and just make it ideas or "suggestion" for habitat/wildlife improvements! As I personnel think there are some people on this forum with some great knowlwedge and some that might want to learn more.

nube
01-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I did not start this thread to have someone think I am up to no good and poaching deer off of a bait site. for some reason sombody who we all know here is trying to ruin my reputation. I started because I was accused of my trail camera pictures that I had on here and was told by many it was illegal to do bait deer for that purpose. I knew it wasn't and made some more phone calls for proof of that to educate people it is legal. From that we have learned a lot on different feed types and what may or may not be good for deer. I am not a farmer and do not claim to know much about feed and this has been a great benefit for me to learn more about the subject. It is hard to get away from the name calling and negative end of things when you have someone who thinks he knows you and it calling you a poacher and trying to ruin my reputation. Obviously I'm a little defensive and since this person has continued it and included a cirlcle of friends of mine which are on this forum it has added to the discusion in a negative way because they too are going to react to the comments made in their direction.
This is a good thread and I hope we are done with all of the negative crap and we can continue to learn what is a good way to feed our deer and benefit them.

jrs
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Theres a couple in every crowd nube, don't worry too much. As for the potatoes, i did a bit of research and found sweet potatoes are extremely popular as bait in the states. Also just looking at different resources (theres not much work done as feeding is not common in our climate and potatoes are a unlikely food source this season). I'd say since you stated feeding them you'll have to continue just to prevent any digestive problems if they switch back to the nutrient poor grass remaining this time of year. Like mentioned, the skins and tops would be the most benefitial but wouldn't be the most healthy food for the deer (like us eating chocolate bars all the time). I'd phase it out when green up starts so they get all the nutrients there used too, monitor the deer and if you notice bloating or funny acting deer you may want to contact a local biologist, theres been cases where digestive problems started but the animals could still be saved. I've heard of cattle that broke into a hay pile mid winter and ate till they couldn't stand. The animals became huge with gas buildup in gut. They poked a hole in the stomach and the cows recovered after the gas subsided. I wouldn't reccomend poking holes in deer out of season but its kind of an interesting story related to the food topic. Good luck.

jrs

nube
01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
JRS, thank you for all of that info. I am not too worried about the deer that I have been feeding. They have a lot of different options for food in the area and they seem to be looking good. I have been shed hunting and haven't found any dead ones so I hope that I haen't killed any from over feeding. In your mind is it best not to feed them at all other than a few buckets of grain? I'm just trying to find a cheap but nutritous way of feeding them and don't know if there really is a way to do that now?
Thanks again for the info

Morbius131
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
ya , theres away its called a food plot , theres summer , fall ,and winter plots that can be planted , then u dont have all the deer brought into close quarters , like u do when u dump piles of potatos or grain.nube back to the real reason i came on this site 1 pic, maybe next year huh.

Morbius131
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Warden,

Your pointless and unfounded accusations are getting rediculous. If you are jealous that is fine but don't drag another person's name through the mud unless you are willing to present valid evidence and identify yourself. Anyone can accuse anyone else of wrong doing on the net but until you present evidence, your accusations will not be tolerated!

This is a great topic so lets try to stay on it.

Morb

Rifle14
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
So, a little off topic, and to lighten it up, someone further up that long long line of replies mentioned or recommended talking to a CO. Common mixup, since they were all one bunch for a short period of time a couple of years back, but I think you meant Fish and Wildlife Officer. "Conservation Officer" is the title that provincial parks officers use these days. So Conservation Officers are park rangers, and Fish and Wildlife Officers are game wardens, in layman's terms. CO's generally have nothing to do with hunting. Good discussion on native species, very interesting and informative.

jrs
01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
"Conservation Officer", are you sure about that? I thought they all changed over. The govs departments names and titles change so much its hard to keep track.

And Nube, i'd say its safer not to feed supplementally with CWD concerns and the risk of feeding being interupted leading to animals dying. If you can maintain it i'm sure its fine, otherwise "foodplots" are a good idea. Caution with the term like mentioned a few pages back but you've been reading along so see what i mean. Probably would make getting your pictures a bit tougher though. Not sure what the land around you is like but a good method would be leaving some alfalfa uncut so it can be accessed when the snow is deep, if theres no alfalfa in area planting certain forbs and shrubs may be reccomended. Theres a ton of info out there and if your looking for ideas the possibilities are endless. If theres lots of agriculture in the area you may find it impossible to compete using foodplots however, down here theres way too many food sources to even pattern most deer. (alfalfa fields, peas and lentils, potatoes, corn, carrots, berry farms, pumpkin farms, etc)

nube
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I have some of my cameras out at my uncles. He doesn't own much and doesn't have an alfalfa field. I started to feed the deer there because it was close to home and the deer started comming when I piled up my bales and fed my horses grain. The deer would come and clean up the leftovers and found that there were some nice deer there. There will be enough food there to scrounge off the horses and I take a couple bags of oats out every 2 weeks for fun. I think I will try a mineral block in the summer but I don't think there will be much because there are a few cattle feilds near by with the same thing. I think minerals would be better than feed for them.

gunslinger
01-22-2007, 11:13 PM
guys we bait about 38 sites each year and every year we have some hunters come back to the lodge syaing that the whitetail deer came in and tryed to eat the oats there at the bait site so they do come to a bear bait if there is oats there and they know it.

wylecoyote123
01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Just sitten around bored and was thinking that I would throw in my two cents. I was reading a article in the paper the other day that said that the deer population in Alberta is booming and numbers are way up and such. Maybe it is just me but is there really a need for us to feed them to get them through the winter? I guess it is a personal choice, and to each their own, but to me it seems that it is possible we may be going a little overboard. Nature does need management and that is one reason for hunting. But when deer populations exceed the areas ability to sustain them, is it our position to get them through. Just my two cents and like I said to each their own.

cmfic1
01-23-2007, 01:25 AM
I fed a Mule Deer Buck (unfortunatley, I didnt have time to try it on a Whiteltail this year), butttt!.....I do know that It Didnt work out so good for the Mule Deer, although I didnt overfeed it, I found out shortly after, that the nutritional value, turned out to be less than ideal. There was no worry in any other Deer sticking around long enough to worry about the whole CWD rigormorole either, as for the Deers health, Well... I believe it wasnt very healthy at all, as it seemed that his Health definately deteriorated very, very rapidy!!

Guess my Feed, for this particular Deer!

(I think nube knows, as we have discussed this particular feed before)

7 REM MAG
01-23-2007, 01:36 AM
i think i know the answer.

140 grains of hot lead/copper alloy??? did i get it right???

7 REM MAG
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
i think i know the answer.

140 grains of hot lead/copper alloy??? did i get it right???

jrs
01-23-2007, 10:41 AM
"I was reading a article in the paper the other day that said that the deer population in Alberta is booming and numbers are way up and such. Maybe it is just me but is there really a need for us to feed them to get them through the winter?"

Depends where your at, some areas are still fairly devoid of deer (some agricultural areas where theres no cover and little winter food). I think certain areas benefit from food and some guys simply want more deer to fill there respective freezer. The need to feed deer through the winter is really non-existant, it is not the greatest idea with cwd and the fact food is usually readily available. The main reason nube was feeding was to get photos of the deer with trail cameras (thats what i understood for the most part). I like to plant cover which allows wildlife (not just deer) to recolonize areas currently not utilized (example would be field edges or abandoned roads). Often the cover provides supplemental winter feed. I think we're due for a winter one of these years to thin the herds a bit but with the vast agriculture areas full of high quality forage, its not going to have the same effect it may have had 30, 40, or even 100 years ago. Remeber, not too long ago Alberta didn't even have whitetail deer, they followed the plow. Their population has likely not appoached a carrying capacity accross most of the province. For every exponential increase in the deer population in the area i hunt, i put an exponentially greater amount of venson in the freezer to help the cause, mostly young does. The biggest overpopulation problems exist where no-hunting is permited and excesive amounts of forage are available (such as some of the brush land just outside Waterton or the acreage sprawl southwest of Calgary). Lots of different factors and views on this subject, situation changes every couple miles if you think about it.

jrs
01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
On another note, i know what you other guys fed them as well ;)

I remember a biology teacher asking me what the best way was to control a beaver population down by Lethbridge. I responded, grain feed them. (i had the idea from some sort of column i had read lately)

He had no idea what i was getting at and asked for me to explain. I responded 45 gr of lead at 3900 ft/second. He wasn't amused, he was looking for relocate them or non-lethal means. It got a good chuckle from a few guys in the class, mostly dirty glares from everyone else. Good times :D

I heard the same line used before but pirated it, he or anyone else had never heard it used within the room.

rightroad
01-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I had a chance to review all the comments. I came from AB, live in SK and sure am glad that I can legally bait where I live. When it gets down to the crunch late in the season it's an option available.

It is fantastic to be able to scout out areas, habituate the deer and make a responsible choice on which animal is harvested. I suggest corn or millet and water softener pellets. Lace it with C'mere Deer attractant and it is dynamite!

Nobody should criticize baiters in other jurisdictions. Rather the focus should be to lobby to get it legal in your province. If you side with the Antis on baiting what other incremental loss of privileges are you willing to agree on.

Hopefully it’s allowed in AB someday.

Walleyes
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I had a chance to review all the comments. I came from AB, live in SK and sure am glad that I can legally bait where I live. When it gets down to the crunch late in the season it's an option available.

It is fantastic to be able to scout out areas, habituate the deer and make a responsible choice on which animal is harvested. I suggest corn or millet and water softener pellets. Lace it with C'mere Deer attractant and it is dynamite!

Nobody should criticize baiters in other jurisdictions. Rather the focus should be to lobby to get it legal in your province. If you side with the Antis on baiting what other incremental loss of privileges are you willing to agree on.

Hopefully it’s allowed in AB someday.

Nah its O.K. we don't need it here. We like to do our best to keep our wildlife disease free.. You guys should really lobby your government to do the same,, we would really appreciate it over here.. Thx..

Tundra Monkey
01-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Wow....I wish I could search my "memory bank" as well as this site can!!!!

That's a lot of digging to dredge this one up :lol: :lol:

tm

lilsundance
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
A 3 yr old thread, I didn't think anyone read back that far.
Rightroad. Rather than siding with the anti's a lot of us prefer to consider it siding with the animals health and welfare. CWD is transmitted from animal to animal and a bait station congregates the deer in one area, thereby increasing the odds of an animal getting this disease. No I am not dissing you, after all it is legal in your jurisdiction and is available for your use. If I lived in Sask. I personaly don't think I would use it even if crunch time came. However it's not legal here and I personally don't want to see it legal here. I am a meat hunter so I don't need to evaluate which deer I will harvest based on antler size or body size.

rightroad
01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Nah its O.K. we don't need it here. We like to do our best to keep our wildlife disease free.. You guys should really lobby your government to do the same,, we would really appreciate it over here.. Thx..

Not gonna happen, there's nothing wrong with baiting, what difference is it if the deer eat from cattle feed bins or bait sites?

Anti-baiters have as little moral highground over baiters as bowhunters do over rifle hunters.

I say lobby your governement to let you pour some grain at you deer blind.

Cheers!

slopeshunter
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm with you Walleyes. Seeing as we don't have it now, it wouldn't be a loss of a privledge. Hope we never see it here.

I always find it interesting when these really old threads get brought back to life again.

lilsundance
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Anti-baiters have as little moral highground over baiters as bowhunters do over rifle hunters.

Cheers!

:huh:

Tundra Monkey
01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
So what you are saying is,, is that you are a Master Baiter ??? :wave: :wave:

Bada bing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't believe I didn't think of that myself :o

tm

rightroad
01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
If anyone here watches Wild TV, they will be familiar with Jim Shockey. Jim Shockey, a renowned hunter sets up alfalfa and cut browse to shoot record book deer with his Thompson.

His TV ratings are high, he is viewed by the hunting community as a conservationalist, and he's likeable.

The links between CWD and baiting are pretty sketchy.

Neither way is right or wrong, just different. Albertans should be afforded the same opportunities to bait if the want to.

albertadave
01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
If anyone here watches Wild TV, they will be familiar with Jim Shockey. Jim Shockey, a renowned hunter sets up alfalfa and cut browse to shoot record book deer with his Thompson.

His TV ratings are high, he is viewed by the hunting community as a conservationalist, and he's likeable.

The links between CWD and baiting are pretty sketchy.

Neither way is right or wrong, just different. Albertans should be afforded the same opportunities to bait if the want to.
You live Saskatchewan so why do you care?

rightroad
01-30-2010, 07:07 PM
You live Saskatchewan so why do you care?

I'm an Albertan living in Saskatchewan. I want all Albertans to enjoy the freedom to bait.

Walleyes
01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Well I must admit that I am a big fan of Jim Shockey's. But that being said it doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. What he is doing is selling and selling within his legal right. If Jim held land in A.B. which I m not aware that he does he would not do it,, does he bait bear in B.C. no ..

The man is a well known and no doubt a decent hunter but just because he does something doesn't make it right. I don't need a celebrity to make my ethical decisions for me,,, thank God..

rightroad
01-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Well I must admit that I am a big fan of Jim Shockey's. But that being said it doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. What he is doing is selling and selling within his legal right. If Jim held land in A.B. which I m not aware that he does he would not do it,, does he bait bear in B.C. no ..

The man is a well known and no doubt a decent hunter but just because he does something doesn't make it right. I don't need a celebrity to make my ethical decisions for me,,, thank God..

You deserve the freedom to bait deer. If you choose not to then don't but why should't other Albertans have it as an option? The West is an enclave of freedom not a pinko commie haven of rule makers.

I still support your right to bait.

whitetail Junkie
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm an Albertan living in Saskatchewan. I want all Albertans to enjoy the freedom to bait.

I'm from alberta,and hunt saskatchewan everyfall and I dont bait because it's not the same kind of hunt.Any body can shoot a big buck over bait or out of a Truck while road hunting.I hope the alberta government never allows baiting deer.Plus The saskatchewan government allows baiting just to catter to the outfitters up in the forestry in northern saskatchewan.

rightroad
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm from alberta,and hunt saskatchewan everyfall and I dont bait because it's not the same kind of hunt.Any body can shoot a big buck over bait or out of a Truck while road hunting.I hope the alberta government never allows baiting deer.Plus The saskatchewan government allows baiting just to catter to the outfitters up in the forestry in northern saskatchewan.

You have illustrated my point beautifully, you don't bait but you could if you wanted. One more freedom to exercise. I want all hunters in Canada to have this freedom.

Unregistered user
01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
We are not allowed to hunt over a food bait but we can lure them in with scents, is that much different? We are allowed to hunt bear over bait, discrimination?

rightroad
01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
We are not allowed to hunt over a food bait but we can lure them in with scents, is that much different? We are allowed to hunt bear over bait, discrimination?

Well stated!

whitetail Junkie
01-30-2010, 07:30 PM
You have illustrated my point beautifully, you don't bait but you could if you wanted. One more freedom to exercise. I want all hunters in Canada to have this freedom.

I Disagree:huh:.I on the other hand think that you should'nt be able to bait deer any where in Canada.In my opinion its not Fair chase hunting.Shooting a Trophy Deer While Road Hunting or over Bait Does'nt Make you a good hunter.

Walleyes
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Bears are not herd animals.. Its really not that hard to figure out..

rightroad
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
I Disagree:huh:.I on the other hand think that you should'nt be able to bait deer any where in Canada.In my opinion its not Fair chase hunting.Shooting a Trophy Deer While Road Hunting or over Bait Does'nt Make you a good hunter.

The logic behind that arguement is that one type of hunting is morally & ethically more sound.

It seems bullet proof at first but has about as much merit as saying fly fishers are better than spin fisher men or that bowhunters are better than rifle hunters.

There are people who bait and people who don't. If we start picking on one type of hunting or another we'll fall prey to the PETA Antis.

Let's get as much freedoms as we can and have the coice not to use them rather than being forced.

rightroad
01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
In case anyone doubts where I'm coming from on this I also support the idea to have legalized large-bore handgun hunting but that should be another post all together.

whitetail Junkie
01-30-2010, 08:30 PM
In case anyone doubts where I'm coming from on this I also support the idea to have legalized large-bore handgun hunting but that should be another post all together.

Oh Yaa:rolleyes:

deerassassin
01-30-2010, 08:45 PM

when you "bait" an animal with food for example you are using something that he does every day to YOUR advantage. is hunting over an alfalfa field or a watering hole really any different. the same goes for using scents and calls. when I call a coyote i usually use a jackrabbit distress call. a jackrabbit as we all know is part of a coyotes diet usually they come in and i shoot them. I am useing the call to my advantage. Is baiting deer really any different then what i stated above?

JustinC
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
when you "bait" an animal with food for example you are using something that he does every day to YOUR advantage. is hunting over an alfalfa field or a watering hole really any different. the same goes for using scents and calls. when I call a coyote i usually use a jackrabbit distress call. a jackrabbit as we all know is part of a coyotes diet usually they come in and i shoot them. I am useing the call to my advantage. Is baiting deer really any different then what i stated above?
Not not at all. A Feild is normally min a quater section of land. I bet you cant shoot that far.As for calls so what.I think all people that hunt over baits period are lazy.You are not a hunter either.I think it is sick that they allow that for any of the deer spieces at all.Scents are totally different.Because you are not giving them FOOD to attract them.Scents are normally set up the day you hunt not for 2 weeks in arow getting them all coming to your bait.LEARN HOW TO HUNT... :mad3::mad2::mad3:

rightroad
01-30-2010, 09:12 PM

That's the way to go!!! Right on Assassin!

JustinC
01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
That's the way to go!!! Right on Assassin!

ya we have TWO great hunters.Hope you guys find each other.

predatorzedge
01-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I believe hunting over bait or not is going to be an ongoing argument of fairchase,ethical,real hunters and yadadada. Think of it this way: shotplacement for some that maybe need them in a comfortable shooting range, handicapped people in a wheelchair(bet they dont get the chance if their in a wheel chair to access parts of the woods as most hunters do kinda a lil bit disadvantage), selective harvest is a plus to bait, take the old and young. So many pros and cons out there the list can go forever. Legalize it throughout canada so there cant be an argument on whether its legal. If they legalized it how many of you against it would do it because oh hes doing it now. not to offend no-one just my 2 cents

rightroad
01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I believe hunting over bait or not is going to be an ongoing argument of fairchase,ethical,real hunters and yadadada. Think of it this way: shotplacement for some that maybe need them in a comfortable shooting range, handicapped people in a wheelchair(bet they dont get the chance if their in a wheel chair to access parts of the woods as most hunters do kinda a lil bit disadvantage), selective harvest is a plus to bait, take the old and young. So many pros and cons out there the list can go forever. Legalize it throughout canada so there cant be an argument on whether its legal. If they legalized it how many of you against it would do it because oh hes doing it now. not to offend no-one just my 2 cents

Amen brother. Well stated.

rightroad
01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Looks to me like the Antis are getting owned on this thread. The Antis have no arguement other than their version of "ethical".

lilsundance
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
better watch who you are calling an anti. We are hunters who happen to disagree with you. We are not forcing our opinion on you or name calling like you are. I suggest you read the forum rules before you post anymore.

rightroad
01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
better watch who you are calling an anti. We are hunters who happen to disagree with you. We are not forcing our opinion on you or name calling like you are. I suggest you read the forum rules before you post anymore.

Your correction is accepted Sundance. I will respect your moderation and I will not post anymore on this thread.

But if that's the case then please review Whitetail junkie's post #124 where baiters described as clown's and Walleye's post # 117 where I prefer not to mention what was said.

jaylow?
01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
your name and avatar are disturbing. whats with jesus and a rifle? do you know many 1st century jews who regularly shoot firearms?

Unregistered user
01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Bears are not herd animals.. Its really not that hard to figure out..

Of course and I'm sure you're coming at this with a concern over the spread of CWD and yes it is better to be safe than sorry, I fully agree. But certain natural features are heavily visited by many deer, feeding areas, mineral licks, watering spots etc. Now think about scrapes, deer are attracting other deer to snarfle their urine and hormones. At times we hunt near scrape lines as we know deer will come by especially if a little hint like a grunt or rattle is added,(noise bait if you will). Bait hunting with food for deer besides being unlawful isn't an option for me right now as I like packing light and really don't have the patience to sit still very long, but if I'm lucky enough to become an old hunter it could be a viable option. If nothing else it would bring the deer in close to enable an easy kill-shot.

deanmc
01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
your name and avatar are disturbing. whats with jesus and a rifle? do you know many 1st century jews who regularly shoot firearms?

That picture has been around for years.

Cowtown guy
01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
What I want to say may not be PC but I'll try hard to be nice.
I don't see any value to someone digging up a 3 year old thread to see their own words on a forum.
I love it when this board gets heated up and passionate about issues that can make a difference. This isn't going on here anymore. I simply see someone stirring the pot.

bingo1010
01-31-2010, 07:20 AM
so rightroad if baiting is so good and allows harvest of a specific animal, what are your thoughts on pen hunting? i suppose you like that as well ...that way the animal has no escape if you happen to make a poor hit, for sure you will be able to recover that animal as it has no chance for escape.....?? pen hunting is legal in places lesser than alberta and i hope alberta stays pen hunting free as well!!

Tundra Monkey
01-31-2010, 08:30 AM
I think you're all slob hunters :evilgrin: (insert tongue in cheek here)

Baiting for bear, deer, wolves, coyotes.....all illegal up here. However I can chase em' with a snowmobile :D

tm

PS.....have a little class and remove your avatar.

PPS....Hey mods, can I have my Calvin peeing avatar back now :cry:

deerassassin
01-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Not not at all. A Feild is normally min a quater section of land. I bet you cant shoot that far.As for calls so what.I think all people that hunt over baits period are lazy.You are not a hunter either.I think it is sick that they allow that for any of the deer spieces at all.Scents are totally different.Because you are not giving them FOOD to attract them.Scents are normally set up the day you hunt not for 2 weeks in arow getting them all coming to your bait.LEARN HOW TO HUNT... :mad3::mad2::mad3:

what im trying to say is that we are useing something against them. personally i don't use scents or calls for deer i spot and stock LEARN HOW TO HUNT!!!!:mad3::mad3::mad3:

JustinC
01-31-2010, 11:18 AM
what im trying to say is that we are useing something against them. personally i don't use scents or calls for deer i spot and stock LEARN HOW TO HUNT!!!!:mad3::mad3::mad3:I was making a point. I know how to hunt.But thanks. How many tags you have after the season? I know I shot all I needed (with a bow and not out of a treestands)and I shot descent animals with out baiting or any calls or sents.:tongue2: So why is it you are for baiting then?

Dr. Fish
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow some of the posts on this thread are so self ritchous, look at me I;m the big and hunter I don't bait, use scents, use calls , or hunt from a tree stand I'm so great cause I can still manage to kill an animal without this stuff and the rest of you need to learn how to hunt because your all slobs. Ha!

I bait deer and bears and shot one of each from my treestand last season and it was great. I also took the grunt tube and rattling horns and called in a buck or a friend which he shot. I also use distress calls to kill coyotes. And I must be really bad cause I use an electronic caller to archery hunt moose from my treestand. Some of you need to quit your complaining about baiting and just accept that you live in a province in which you are not allowed to use bait for deer. And just to set the record straight its not so easy to shoot a trophy buck over bait it takes alot of scouting, work, effort, and usually countless hours spent in a ground blind or treestand. And yes I am a hunter and I have stalked down and killed lots of animals with nothing but the wind in my face for an aid, and I'm really good at it.

P.S. I just had to add this, I also shot my largest whittail to date while road hunting a few year back and it was great. I know its not accepted on the AO forums but if your from a rural area it happens alot and is very accepted.

nube
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey JUSTIN C, I have been following your posts and all for a while now since you are a very loud spoken person. I looked at threads you have started and do not see any pictures to back up what you are saying as a pro hunter. If it is true we would all love to see some pictures on here. It looks like you have a good deer as your avatar and would love to see some more.

catnthehat
01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
I've been watching this thread since it started, and whether or not it is correct, the law in Alberta says "NO" to baiting - it is a person's right to protest if if they disagree, but it is NOT our right to bait until the law is changed.
There are several Provinces and many States where it is legal, but as for our province it is not, and I'm okay with that.
There are some things i would like to do but cannot , but other provinces can, and there are some things we can do here that others cannot.

Just do as the law says, and be done with it.
I'm not in favour of the P&Y rules about let-off on compounds, and i don't even shoot one.
If I did however and wanted to, I would abide by those rules if I were to enter an animal that i did shoot with a compound.
Cat

JustinC
01-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey JUSTIN C, I have been following your posts and all for a while now since you are a very loud spoken person. I looked at threads you have started and do not see any pictures to back up what you are saying as a pro hunter. If it is true we would all love to see some pictures on here. It looks like you have a good deer as your avatar and would love to see some more. I dont see the need to post a bunch of pics.If I shoot somthing That I feel is good enough to post I will.As for being a pro who said that? If you have anymore comments or qestions you need to talk about pm me. I will more than happily contact anybody on this site by email or even on the phone.

Tubby2
01-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey JUSTIN C, I have been following your posts and all for a while now since you are a very loud spoken person. I looked at threads you have started and do not see any pictures to back up what you are saying as a pro hunter. If it is true we would all love to see some pictures on here. It looks like you have a good deer as your avatar and would love to see some more.

Hi JustinC,

You don't have to justify yourself to a wet behind the ears know it all like this noted above person. I know that you are a hunter like myself. Us Villemaire's hunt in the purest form of hunting there is. We don't road hunt, use scents, bait, calls, rattling antlers, range finders, TREE STANDS, wear camo clothing, hunt with bows and arrows, nor have anyone scout out our deer for us. There are alot of regulars on this site that only have the gift to gab because it is their right. I wonder how many monster mule deer and whitetail they have killed like us where we pick up a fresh track and persued.

steve
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Hi JustinC,

You don't have to justify yourself to a wet behind the ears know it all like this noted above person. I know that you are a hunter like myself. Us Villemaire's hunt in the purest form of hunting there is. We don't road hunt, use scents, bait, calls, rattling antlers, range finders, TREE STANDS, wear camo clothing, hunt with bows and arrows, nor have anyone scout out our deer for us. There are alot of regulars on this site that only have the gift to gab because it is their right. I wonder how many monster mule deer and whitetail they have killed like us where we pick up a fresh track and persued.

Wet behind the ears no it all... no idea who your taking a shot at do you? :lol:

Thats the Villemaires view on the purest form of hunting. Many, including me will disagree on that one hot shot.

Walleyes
01-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I think Cat summed it up just about right. It is not legal here and lets just leave it at that. The original poster that drug this thing up just succeeded in what he intended to do and that was stir the pot and once again pit hunter against hunter.. personal I will never call one style of hunting down over the other each to his own but as long as its within the law. Alberta seems to have found evidence that this method of hunting is not beneficial to the animals and I think they would be right. Using the excuse that deer regularly congregate around grain bins and cattle feed sites is lame. These are not intentional and like many things we do are just part of us being here. We don't have to intentionally add to the problem. Thats like saying there is pollution in the air from vehicles and all so why not burn all the coal and plastic we can cause its happening anyways,, not smart. As for the ethical part of baiting,, I have no problem with that. Like I said each to his own.. Come on guys lets not once again but heads as hunters..

BrownBear416
01-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi JustinC,

After reading this whole thread I just have to shake my head.

Give me a break..:rolleye2:

I respect you guys as hunters and consider ty a Friend but this holier then thou attitude gets pretty old after awhile..

So really be honest how many of them big bucks were tracked and killed??

You guys have never used Rattling horns??

Funny i have seen pics of you guys in Camo??

You dont use calls when bird or predator hunting???

Not one of those bucks were spotted from a truck and killed while road hunting?????

I also find it strange that you guys dont feel bowhunting is the most purest form of hunting??

Also i find it pretty hypocritical that you guys are the ethics police when it comes to bowhunters but feel its ok to take shots at animals at ranges pushing 500 yrds without the use of rangefinder??????

Baiting is illegal in Alberta so why do we need pages and pages of hunters attacking eachother??

Everyone has different ways of putting meat in the freezer and as long as its stated as legal in the hunting regs nobody should say a word imo...

Tuc
01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
I caught these two culprits baiting deer a couple of weeks ago. Should I turn them in or just let em have at er?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics012.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics013.jpg

Too bad they didn't get what they were looking for.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics014.jpg

But wait a minute, I think I see something else moving in. (or out):lol:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics025.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics026.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics037.jpg
This trail cam stuff is for the birds, maybe tonight will be better.

I think they finally found what they were looking for.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics071.jpg

What's this a family dispute?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Tucman/SaskPics078.jpg

I like the pics, I think I'll just let em have at er.

Tundra Monkey
01-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Us Villemaire's hunt in the purest form of hunting there is. We don't road hunt, use scents, bait, calls, rattling antlers, range finders, TREE STANDS, wear camo clothing, hunt with bows and arrows, nor have anyone scout out our deer for us. There are alot of regulars on this site that only have the gift to gab because it is their right. I wonder how many monster mule deer and whitetail they have killed like us where we pick up a fresh track and persued.

Gift of gab :confused:

That treebark looking clothing is easily identied and if there's snow on the ground white is camo ;)

You may want to ask your family member to pull almost all of the pics off his thread so you don't look like you're full of crap.

tm

double gun
01-31-2010, 03:34 PM
... I agree there is a concern about CWD for sure...

I wouldnt worry about it. What is the highest number of deer hitting your bait? Every drive past a field with bales in it during the winter? or a field where the farmer swathed but wasnt able to combine? a bush bait is hardly a threat in my eyes. my $0.02

Unregistered user
01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Salt blocks put out for cattle draw deer in areas where natural mineral licks are sparse. I'll never push one style of hunting as being superior to another, but there's a lot of deer out there and talking to my local hide depot guy this year was slow for a lot of folks. I did well this year but some folks did not, hell my son killed a nice Mulie in Foothills industrial park 2 weeks ago with his car. FWIW rightroad was the name of a troll posting on CGN and was banned a few months ago.

Dr. Fish
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
FWIW rightroad was the name of a troll posting on CGN and was banned a few months ago.

His posting style would seem to suggest ulterior motives, pot stirrer maby. Anti-hunter using passive aggression to get things riled up. IDK

whitetailsheds
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
the law in Alberta says "NO" to baiting - it is a person's right to protest if if they disagree, but it is NOT our right to bait until the law is changed.
Cat

.....unless it's for "recreational/ personal" use....read "wildlife veiwing" or trailcam use.
Not sure the governments' stance on CWD transmission and permissable baiting on this one. One sure goes against the "grain" of the other.
That part is hilarious.
If the government were concerned of CWD transmission, I suppose this would change too. I guess it does regulate some of the amount of baiting.....if they're worried about it.
Never used to purposefully put out grain for 20 + years. Tried it for the last few years.
Shot many a deer without, and now have shot fewer with.
But I've become more selective as the years have gone by.
Make it a choice.....

catnthehat
01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
.....unless it's for "recreational/ personal" use....read "wildlife veiwing" or trailcam use.

I understand that part, but the topic was baiting for hunting purposes- ie. killing, not photography, etc.

Cat

Cowtown guy
01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi JustinC,

So I saw pictures of Villemaires in Realtree camo, wearing white with snow on the ground (still considered camo since Sask says orange can be worn also), deer kills with no snow anywhere to be found (hulluva fresh track picked up there), even a pic of a camo rifle and I recall a story earlier this fall of a deer spotted from the road which happened to end with that buck either being shot at or killed. If this wasn't a vaunted Villemaire I apologize.
The point here isn't to say you don't know how to get things done, as the pics are there to show you can. Its to show that even the soon to be famous Villemaires take advantage of things that may give them a little bit of an edge.
It also shows that others may have the gift of gab as well.:rolleyes:
Maybe the rest of us can hunt too?

gman1978
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
So I saw pictures of Villemaires in Realtree camo, wearing white with snow on the ground (still considered camo since Sask says orange can be worn also), deer kills with no snow anywhere to be found (hulluva fresh track picked up there), even a pic of a camo rifle and I recall a story earlier this fall of a deer spotted from the road which happened to end with that buck either being shot at or killed. If this wasn't a vaunted Villemaire I apologize.
The point here isn't to say you don't know how to get things done, as the pics are there to show you can. Its to show that even the soon to be famous Villemaires take advantage of things that may give them a little bit of an edge.
It also shows that others may have the gift of gab as well.:rolleyes:
Maybe the rest of us can hunt too?

I must be missing something here. Who are the heck are the Villemaries? Do they run some family hunting show or something. They are famous? Im confused.

nube
01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Justin C, I wa really interested in actaully seeing some pics not as proof but becasue I enjoy them and it sounds like you have had quite the success. If indeed you say you will post them if you find the animal is worth posting then I can wait since I assume there is nothing in you mind that warrants the posting of a picture.

Tubby 2, you obviously have no idea who you are talking to or about or have been around long enough to see what I have done in my hunting career. Trust me i am not wet behind the ears.:lol:

I started this post not for a discussion on whether we should be able to bait in Alberta or not. I started it because I am tired of people telling me baiting is Illegal for trail cam pictures. If you reread the begginging it is all there including a phone number to call the officer I have talked with. IT is not illegal to bait for trail cam pictures.
Other than that I could care less how you guys kill your critters and if Alberta is better than Saskatchewan. It does not matter as long as it is legal.

Cowtown guy
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Here, here Nube. This whole thing has gotten waaaaay off base.

whitetailsheds
01-31-2010, 07:33 PM
It does not matter as long as it is legal.

Bingo! Of course others will differ..........

Dr. Fish
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
I must be missing something here. Who are the heck are the Villemaries? Do they run some family hunting show or something. They are famous? Im confused.

thats a big x2 here :huh:

TreeGuy
01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
thats a big x2 here :huh:

Here ya go.:wave:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51132

albertadeer
01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
You guys really need to talk to the right person...and i think there will be a change in the future...but this might come as a shocker...but

FEEDING DEER FOR PICTURES IS ILLEGAL....baiting all unguletes at all times of the year is considered unlawfull. I had no help with regular F&W so i talked to some bioligists and Agriculture and wildlife Reps, Turns out feeding wildlife is harrassing wildlife...so all of you lazy people who say..oh i just bait for pictures...well thats just as illegal as hunting it, which you proboly are "NUBE". And soon i hope to see in the regulations a clear disscripton of the law....so all you baiters out there better move to sask....and Tubby2 is right....lots of you guys are road hunters or "poachers" and you know it...i truthfully have never shot anything within 50m of a truck...i would have no problom shooting a 180+ by a road...its just the way the wind blows...

PoppaW
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't bait for pics cuz I'd have to get out of my truck to get them. Too busy hunting the roads.:evilgrin:

catnthehat
02-01-2010, 05:29 AM
You guys really need to talk to the right person...and i think there will be a change in the future...but this might come as a shocker...but

FEEDING DEER FOR PICTURES IS ILLEGAL....baiting all unguletes at all times of the year is considered unlawfull. I had no help with regular F&W so i talked to some bioligists and Agriculture and wildlife Reps, Turns out feeding wildlife is harrassing wildlife...so all of you lazy people who say..oh i just bait for pictures...well thats just as illegal as hunting it, which you proboly are "NUBE". And soon i hope to see in the regulations a clear disscripton of the law....so all you baiters out there better move to sask....and Tubby2 is right....lots of you guys are road hunters or "poachers" and you know it...i truthfully have never shot anything within 50m of a truck...i would have no problom shooting a 180+ by a road...its just the way the wind blows...
Can you post i the regulations where it SAYS that baitong is ilegal?

A wildlife biologist would not be giving a person a ticket for baiting, and I'm sure these people that bait for pics have researched things first - HOPEFULLY , anyway!:rolleyes:
It would be interesting to see in the regs a part that actually said that baiting was illegal for anything ....
Cat

Tubby2
02-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Justin C, I wa really interested in actaully seeing some pics not as proof but becasue I enjoy them and it sounds like you have had quite the success. If indeed you say you will post them if you find the animal is worth posting then I can wait since I assume there is nothing in you mind that warrants the posting of a picture.

Tubby 2, you obviously have no idea who you are talking to or about or have been around long enough to see what I have done in my hunting career. Trust me i am not wet behind the ears.:lol:

I started this post not for a discussion on whether we should be able to bait in Alberta or not. I started it because I am tired of people telling me baiting is Illegal for trail cam pictures. If you reread the begginging it is all there including a phone number to call the officer I have talked with. IT is not illegal to bait for trail cam pictures.
Other than that I could care less how you guys kill your critters and if Alberta is better than Saskatchewan. It does not matter as long as it is legal.

There are some guys who try to find loop holes in the law in order to take advantage for their personal interest. Nube, if you were so vain or conceided to elaborate on your illustrious hunting career, then why would you want to use bait? How can a person hunt or take photo's of wildlife and then thump their chest and say, "look what I got"! The likes of Jim Shockey hunting over bait makes me sick. He did not earn any of those whitetail shot in Saskatcheswan. He had other people scout, bait and set up his blind for him. All he did was sit on his arse and pull the trigger. He then thumps his chest and tells the world that he is the great white muzzleloader hunter. I hunt Saskatchewan every year and never hunted over bait. For the most part I walk and hunt deer on ground zero. Knowing the likes of you Nube you would hunt over bait if allowed in Alberta. Use your heart, morals and traditional
methods and then I may tip my hat to you.

7mmremmag
02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Is this thread still about baiting deer or is it about everyone beating up on each others character??? I am not posting because i wanna be harrassed, i just have an honest question>..I have seen these mineral powders on tv, they mimic a natural mineral lick for deer, would using this be considered baiti ng deer??? and would you be allowed to do this for the purpose of taking pictures....and for everyone who thinks i just wanna hunt over bait your wrong, the area i plan to do this in for picture purposes is off limits for hunting, so everyone calm down!

Mike_W
02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Is this thread still about baiting deer or is it about everyone beating up on each others character??? I am not posting because i wanna be harrassed, i just have an honest question>..I have seen these mineral powders on tv, they mimic a natural mineral lick for deer, would using this be considered baiti ng deer??? and would you be allowed to do this for the purpose of taking pictures....and for everyone who thinks i just wanna hunt over bait your wrong, the area i plan to do this in for picture purposes is off limits for hunting, so everyone calm down!

Mineral powders would be classified bait, they could be used out of season for the purpose of wildlife viewing.

I for one can understand the use of bait for trailcams, but when it comes to hunting I hope that Alberta NEVER makes it LEGAL this is not my idea of fair chase I too Can't stand Jim Shockey whitetail hunts cause they usually involve the use of bait and I don't see the anticipation or thrill in that type of hunting.
Now I am not classifiying baiting as a lazy mans way of hunting because I think to drag bait out for a couple weeks prior to hunting would take some effort I just think setting up over a bait at 65 yards know thats exeactly where the deer is going to come out just aint fair chase.

I think all these companies coming out with baits and there marketing is getting to us, making people think this is the only way to hunt now.

Mike

nube
02-01-2010, 10:53 AM
There are some guys who try to find loop holes in the law in order to take advantage for their personal interest. Nube, if you were so vain or conceided to elaborate on your illustrious hunting career, then why would you want to use bait? How can a person hunt or take photo's of wildlife and then thump their chest and say, "look what I got"! The likes of Jim Shockey hunting over bait makes me sick. He did not earn any of those whitetail shot in Saskatcheswan. He had other people scout, bait and set up his blind for him. All he did was sit on his arse and pull the trigger. He then thumps his chest and tells the world that he is the great white muzzleloader hunter. I hunt Saskatchewan every year and never hunted over bait. For the most part I walk and hunt deer on ground zero. Knowing the likes of you Nube you would hunt over bait if allowed in Alberta. Use your heart, morals and traditional
methods and then I may tip my hat to you.

:lol::lol::lol:

double gun
02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I did some quick research on which provinces allow baiting for deer. The following ALLOW baiting: Sask, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, British columbia. The only two I have found so far that dont are alberta, and manitoba.

Okotokian
02-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I for one can understand the use of bait for trailcams, but when it comes to hunting I hope that Alberta NEVER makes it LEGAL this is not my idea of fair chase

When people say "you can use bait for trail cams" what do they actually mean? I get it that you might be able to bait if you were shooting a photo story for national geographic, etc. But what do most people use trail cams for? I would suggest that it's to locate and identify animals they may want to hunt. The regs say you cannot use bait (except for bears) for the purpose of hunting big game. If a judge believed that your use of trail cams was part of your hunting procedure I suspect you might be convicted.

whitetail Junkie
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=BrownBear416;497772]After reading this whole thread I just have to shake my head.

Baiting is illegal in Alberta so why do we need pages and pages of hunters attacking eachother??

X2

nube
02-01-2010, 11:53 AM

X2[/QUOTE]

Because there are guys on here that can not read the post and understand we are talking about baiting for PICTURES only. The thread was NOT about hunting over bait. READ the first post. Not sure if the phone number is still good or not but give the guy a call.

whitetail Junkie
02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
why do we need pages and pages of hunters attacking eachother??

x2,I learned a while back thats its ok to debate on here,but some opinions of mine,I now keep to myself.Everyone on this Forum as a whole should'nt be the enemy.