PDA

View Full Version : Dewitt's Pond

mgm79
05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

I read a thread earlier that said Dewitt's is supposed to be stocked this weekend...

I'm taking my 13 year old sister fishing for the first time this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knows forsure or if they've been out there this week and caught anything? I would check myself but since i moved to saskatoon for work i can't. Shes really excited to go and I would love for her to be able to catch something. I'm only home for the weekend and would love to avoid a drive all the way to chain lakes...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TRUCKER JON
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
http://www.mywildalberta.com

Not to sure if you know about this link, but I thought I would put it in just incase. Stocking report links are at the bottom.

FYI.

Castincowboy
05-08-2009, 12:46 PM
mgm79 see PM sent.

brook trout
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
in barry mitchells 2008 regulations it says dewitts pond is subject to low water so it might winter kill or summer kill:lol::lol::lol: but im not sure:D

backwoodsfisher
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Saw the stocking truck last thursday on panorama road heading away from dewitts, tried it on the weekend and got skunked, did see a few swirls. Not sure if they put the fish in or not, is there another pond in that general area they could have been coming from

Nerdapres'
05-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Doesn't it take a week for the stocked fish to actually start feeding actively?

SuCraM
05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
No I have been to a few ponds the day after they stock them and cant keep them off my hook so this weekend should be good at Dewits if they did actually stock it. It does not winter kill because I have seen some fish that are about 20 inches plus but am yet to catch one. Tight lines

mgm79
05-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll give it a shot. Hopefully my sister can pull 1 or 2 of them out!

fishing_queen
05-09-2009, 09:33 PM
was just looking on alberta website with stocking info and Dewitts is not listed yet as being stocked. We are going out tomorrow to try it out

WayneChristie
05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
since I dont live in the area any more, I dont mind sharing what I used at this pond. try a small flourescent orange or red buzz bomb, it gets thick with weeds pretty quick because its shallow, but these worked good for me from shore, and you can get a lot of distance with them too.

Battery
05-09-2009, 10:14 PM
can you use bait?

BlueNorther
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
can you use bait?

Yes.

star77
05-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes.

bait yes but not bait fish

star77
05-16-2009, 07:09 PM
if any one going there to fish i would say not to go there not stocked yet .

baitfisher83
05-16-2009, 07:56 PM
have you been anywhere else???seems odd that Dewitt isnt stocked yet....sometiems they dont update the stocking lists for like 2 weeks after they do it..

Brodie Buck
05-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyone having any luck at Dewitt. I want to take my 2.5 yr old to catch some fish. No use going if nobody is catching. Any info would be great thanks.

BB

star77
05-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Anyone having any luck at Dewitt. I want to take my 2.5 yr old to catch some fish. No use going if nobody is catching. Any info would be great thanks.

BB

ya dont go there yet till some one post good fishing 4 of us and 3 other ppl were there one old man tried all over the pond not a thing im sure its not stocked yet. atleast i will not go there again my first and last vist it was on may 16th :wave:

bowness
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Take them to Mt. Lorrette ponds in Kananaskis. Easy access and they stock it around this time. Maybe wait a week to be sure. Use worms and a bobber or a beadhead fly on a fly rod. Lots of fun. Daily limit of 2.

Jetski
05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Update for this evening May 17th. The pond has definitely been restocked. By the tracks left a truck has evidently come through the black locked gate and along to the north side about 2 weeks ago and there are lots of small fish jumping every couple of minutes at flies once the wind settled down about sundown, didn't see anything big swirling the water though. A young fellow fly fishing along the north side was getting a few bites, but as the water is like a brown muskeg slough the fish weren't seeing worms with a float. We had lots of fun watching the comings and going of the resident muskrat population which paid us no mind whatsoever, and my young son picked up some casting skills, now I have to find him a hole with a fish or two to hook into. :)

We picked up some of the paper and cans left by others but I was really surprised at the large amount of garbage there. Do we really need signs to remind folks to take home what they brought in?

baitfisher83
05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
glad to hear its been restocked, hopefully sibbald lake/pond has been as well, could be heading out there tomorrow

backwoodsfisher
05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
i was at dewitts today for three hours and didn't see one single rise!! lots of birds eating the many many flys hatching but not a single rise, if they are in there they must be sleeping:)

KWO
05-19-2009, 11:29 PM
We picked up some of the paper and cans left by others but I was really surprised at the large amount of garbage there. Do we really need signs to remind folks to take home what they brought in?

Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association members are conducting a cleanup at DeWitt's this Saturday at 1:00pm. We will also be installing a couple of garbage cans (and an AHFA member will empty them once a week). Hopefully this will improve the litter issue there.

Also, the AHFA is currently researching options for improving the fishery.

Jetski
05-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association members are conducting a cleanup at DeWitt's this Saturday at 1:00pm. We will also be installing a couple of garbage cans (and an AHFA member will empty them once a week). Hopefully this will improve the litter issue there.

Also, the AHFA is currently researching options for improving the fishery.

Thanks KWO, my son and I will be there Saturday helping with clean up. Years ago we used to keep suckers in our farm troughs to keep algae under control, don't know if they get along with trout though.

star77
05-20-2009, 07:16 AM
finnaly updated report fishstocking may 19 th its showing 1000 fish stocked in that pond that means 1000 more will be by june always stocked 2wice every year hope this will help who is planing tothere i wont be going lol

baitfisher83
05-20-2009, 08:22 AM
star dont be afraid to go back, after it's stocked the fishing is usually good for a couple months if you can find the right thing to use....plus it's close to calgary

star77
05-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks baitfisher making me brave enough to go back i .ll take my lil one since last time he w8 and w8 ..... so on :lol:

erniebinloaden
05-29-2009, 12:48 PM
will try it on Friday 29 in pm :scared:

goose
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
ernie binloading what do you drive I will be in a black forerunner or a white ford explorer say hello I'll have a couple of kids with me.
goose:wave:

erniebinloaden
05-29-2009, 08:26 PM
pink rod hi

erniebinloaden
05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
1 young feller got 3 gave an other a bit of bait had a hook up lost it
only action out of 23

baitfisher83
05-29-2009, 08:40 PM
the luck gets better out there, trust me, i've fished it many times.....try corn....seems to work quite well, or velveeta cheese.....i wanna go try devil spoons since they worked so well at sibbald pond...