PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake kayak fishing

huffy
09-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Has anyone put a kayak in gone for lakers in Cold Lake? Might give it a go on Saturday. Any advice is welcome.Thanks

RavYak
09-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Has anyone put a kayak in gone for lakers in Cold Lake? Might give it a go on Saturday. Any advice is welcome.Thanks

Yes. I jig and also have one of the scotty base downriggers that I use with a 4 lb ball for trolling.

If you only have a paddle kayak then jigging will be your best bet to target the lakers. Cold lake specials or other flashy jigs/spoons tipped with a minnow are the way to go. You could try a deep diver and if you can get down to 40-60 fow you will probably be able to find some fish that way but I haven't ever used one personally.

The key to fishing Cold Lake from a kayak is to watch the forecast like a hawk. Weather network and windfinder. If the forecast is for 20+ km winds or any storms etc don't go unless you plan on sticking right close to the launch fishing for pike etc. Doesn't take much wind for that lake to start turning ugly and all the laker spots are unprotected.

Some of the best fishing spots aren't really practical out of a kayak(unless you have a good pedal drive kayak and are crazy like me lol) but you can usually catch some north of the point at the provincial park and out towards the marina.

Next key is use your fish finder(assuming you have one). If you aren't marking fish, move.

huffy
09-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Great advice, thanks. I don't have a peddle drive, have a 13' Ocean Kayak, Trident. I also have the Scotty Lake Troll downrigher with a 1lb ball that I boughr specifically for Cold Lake a couple years ago. I have fished it from a boat on numerous occasions but not yet from my kayak. Unfortunately can't make it tomorrow now so hopefully next weekend.

Mackinaw
09-15-2017, 08:26 AM

good luck just remember you cant keep one till nov 15th . but so much fun to catch.

mack

dodgeboy1979
09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
they should be starting to move into shallower water right now to spawn.

Mackinaw
09-15-2017, 10:46 AM
they should be starting to move into shallower water right now to spawn.

they are definitely moveing towards cold river and shallower waters last weekend you could see the difference.

mack