PDA

View Full Version : Cant find it in the regs?

Kevin C.
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I know this question would be better answered by a fish and wild life officer, but I am asking it here anyway. Recently I have been told that there is a minimum distance (100 meters I think) away from the mouth of closed tribs when your fishing say the Athabasca. I have also been told that this is BS. In Ontario the regs there clearly state rules like this with each applicable river. So far I cannot seem to find this anywhere in the Alberta fishing regs for any river. Can someone elaborate on this, or maybe know a place online for more detailed fishing regs?

Kevin C.
05-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow 50 views and no one knows anything about this. Kinda makes me think it could be false.

McLeod
05-11-2009, 07:45 AM
If the trib is closed and the main river is open there is no distance clause unless specifcally outlined in the regs. You just can't have your hook in the trib.

I-Love-Eyes
05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Copied straight from 2009 regulations

Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish.
Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1.
Important points:

Tributaries to a lake have the same regulations as the outlet stream from the lake unless stated differently in site-specific regulations.
Stream regulations do not apply to a lake or reservoir unless stated differently in site-specific regulations.
The same regulations apply to beaver ponds as apply to the streams in which the ponds are found.

Kevin C.
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
If the trib is closed and the main river is open there is no distance clause unless specifcally outlined in the regs. You just can't have your hook in the trib.

Thanks for the reply thats kinda what I fingered!

Kevin C.
05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Copied straight from 2009 regulations

Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish.
Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1.
Important points:

Tributaries to a lake have the same regulations as the outlet stream from the lake unless stated differently in site-specific regulations.
Stream regulations do not apply to a lake or reservoir unless stated differently in site-specific regulations.
The same regulations apply to beaver ponds as apply to the streams in which the ponds are found.

I read this and wondered if it applied but is a closed trib to a major river considered a fishway, canal, obstical or leap?

I-Love-Eyes
05-13-2009, 09:29 AM
I read this and wondered if it applied but is a closed trib to a major river considered a fishway, canal, obstical or leap?

That would be my interpretation but I'm not a F&W officer. Maybe the best thing to do is call SRD for clarification.:lol: