PDA

View Full Version : Best Battery Post Shim Material?

omega50
09-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Battery was dead today on my SUV and I found the negative terminal connector was fully tightened yet still loose on the post.
Likely will replace the battery cable , but in the mean time was just going to slip a shim around the post.

What material would work best?

.257Weatherby
09-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Go to crappy tire or your local NAPA or Lordco and get a new clamp.
Cut the old one off strip some plastic off the exposed end and tighten the clamp to the cable.
and tighten to battery post.
Failing that how about some brass shim stock.
Dont forget to clean your terminals while your there.
Something like these http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-terminal-quick-clamp/lynx-battery-terminal-quick-clamp/711223_0_0
I know, I know autozone isnt crappy tire, but couldnt find anything in the search online.

Rob

CaberTosser
09-30-2017, 06:15 PM
A copper or brass washer, Rona should have some in brass I think. Push come to shove you can hammer out a piece of copper tube and drill a hole in it for the bolt. I have a copper anti-seize compound that I've been using on my battery connections for a decade now and I have yet to get any corrosion build-up, formerly I would have to clean the connections every 18 months when the engine wouldn't turn over but I could hear the solenoid engaging.

Brass washers can be found in the plumbing dept with the toilet repair bits.

silver
09-30-2017, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't put a shim in there, could lead to connection problems.

I would pull the clamp off the battery, take the nut and bolt out of the clamp, and use a hacksaw to take some material out of the area between the ends. When you put the bolt back into the holes, it will now be able to clamp down on the battery post better.

brslk
09-30-2017, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't put a shim in there, could lead to connection problems.

I would pull the clamp off the battery, take the nut and bolt out of the clamp, and use a hacksaw to take some material out of the area between the ends. When you put the bolt back into the holes, it will now be able to clamp down on the battery post better.

That's a good idea that has never occurred to me before. Should be pretty easy to lop a bit off with a hacksaw.

I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

2000victory
09-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Put proper post clamp on it...negative is smaller than positive

Attilathecanuk
09-30-2017, 08:15 PM
I just put a screw between the post and clamp, not so deep it touches battery of course!

silver
09-30-2017, 08:20 PM
That's a good idea that has never occurred to me before. Should be pretty easy to lop a bit off with a hacksaw.

I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

No problem, I didn't think it up, it was shown to me years ago.

pgavey
09-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Silver you beat me to it. I have this hacksaw method many times , works like a charm. Phil.

CaberTosser
10-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Ahh, I was thinking of a side-terminal arrangement where the bolt was bottoming out in the female thread on the battery before connector was snug to the battery. In the more standard top post arrangement I agree that a trim of the clamp at the bolt penetration with a file or such ought to do the trick.

silver
10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Ahh, I was thinking of a side-terminal arrangement where the bolt was bottoming out in the female thread on the battery before connector was snug to the battery. In the more standard top post arrangement I agree that a trim of the clamp at the bolt penetration with a file or such ought to do the trick.

What I use for a side terminal is a 3/8" bolt and plain nut. I finger tighten the bolt into the battery and tighten the nut on the battery connection.