PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Lawn

moosemad
09-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Well, another year of high temps and very little rain, my south facing lawn is burnt. Back yard on North side looks like a golf course. Maybe cut front lawn twice all summer.
What are the tips to rejuvenate the grass? I know it needs water but its a small front lawn next to side walk so tough to put out a sprinkler.
Main reason I'm asking is this time of year should be a good time for fertilizer. What do you guys use for dry lawns?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Big Grey Wolf
09-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Season for lawns is now over, just put it to sleep for winter. Less thatch less potential for snow mold. In spring suggest rent aerator, ( punch holes loosen soil). Then apply evenly fertilizer around 30-10-5 NPK quite a lot say 20-40 lbs for average front yard lawn. Water well, sit back and watch grass grow. Never/never cut grass short in hot dry weather, roots will die back to size of grass blade. Suggest lawn can be cut shorter in spring, increase length to 2-3 inches on lawn mower in hot/dry summer then shorter in fall. If you have half decent black loam soil you will have a good lawn. Some shade trees would help lawn not bake in summer. PS owned a sod farm in my younger days.

TimeOff
09-30-2017, 08:09 PM
True concern for you're lawn is a sure sign of entrance into Mid-Life-Crisis!
At least thats what I've been accused of…

moosemad
09-30-2017, 08:31 PM
True concern for you're lawn is a sure sign of entrance into Mid-Life-Crisis!
At least thats what I've been accused of…

Past the mid life thing. It's gonna be an obsession soon :).
Thanks for the tips Grey. Fall fertilizer maybe?

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Past the mid life thing. It's gonna be an obsession soon :).
Thanks for the tips Grey. Fall fertilizer maybe?

If you are not going to water, fertilizer is a waste of money. Fall fertilizer helps your lawn get a good start in the spring.