PDA

View Full Version : Sausage making question

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 06:13 AM
I am making a sausage recipe that requires, milk, powdered milk, eggs and bread crumbs in it. Because of arthritis I fink mixing very painful when coming out of my fridge, but I can tolerate mixing when it comes from Costco's cooler. I have read that sausage goes into skins and is better handled when very cold. So... what I would like to do is mix the sausage when I pick up the meat today, and then put it in my fridge to get very cold so it will handle better and put it in casings tomorrow. I am worried about spoilage in the ingredients I have mentioned if kept in the fridge overnight. Do I have a justified worry or am I alright to make it as planned? Thanks

Piker
10-01-2017, 07:24 AM
That's is the way I do it. I have been making sausages of all kinds and ingredients. Just about all the recipes I used said mix one day let it sit in frig overnite and stuff the next day. I never had to throw any out over twenty years. They all said the spices needed the time to blend with the meat. I hope this helps Piker

ditch donkey
10-01-2017, 07:36 AM
That should work fine. You can also buy a hand crank mixer. I really like mine, works really well.

omega50
10-01-2017, 07:42 AM
Old School recipe with a Triple Whammy of Binders.

You don't state but it looks like it could be a Fresh Sausage Recipe in which case you are fine to proceed.

However a smoked recipe might cause me a bit of concern with those ingredients-Not concern about the fridge time, but with warm smoker temps.

This is not a Myosin Bind so you can mix a bit warmer and refrigerate immediately. Will set up very stiff the next day if your salt is in the 2% range so you may need to add a bit of moisture to loosen the mix before stuffing.
Because of your arthritis this stiff mass will be very painful for you to work with the next day.

If it were me and I was going to be in that amount of pain I would mix and stuff immediately and then refrigerate the links overnight.

But without knowing what kind of sausage you are making, I am a bit in the dark

calgarychef
10-01-2017, 09:37 AM
You could dice he meat 1" or so or run it through a big grinder plate like 3/4 if you have one. Then mix the ingredients into it, with a big grind you and even kind of cut the ingredients in with the edge of a spatula or spoon and not even have to get your hands in. Refrigerate overnight, then grind it when it's nice and cold

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 10:05 AM

You don't state but it looks like it could be a Fresh Sausage Recipe in which case you are fine to proceed.

However a smoked recipe might cause me a bit of concern with those ingredients-Not concern about the fridge time, but with warm smoker temps.

This is not a Myosin Bind so you can mix a bit warmer and refrigerate immediately. Will set up very stiff the next day if your salt is in the 2% range so you may need to add a bit of moisture to loosen the mix before stuffing.
Because of your arthritis this stiff mass will be very painful for you to work with the next day.

If it were me and I was going to be in that amount of pain I would mix and stuff immediately and then refrigerate the links overnight.

It is a Octoberfest brat recipe. If I can mix and stuff the same day, preferably at the temp from Costco, that would be preferencial. It is a precooked recipe so needs to be cooked before I freeze it. Considering all that how would you proceed?

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 10:06 AM
You could dice he meat 1" or so or run it through a big grinder plate like 3/4 if you have one. Then mix the ingredients into it, with a big grind you and even kind of cut the ingredients in with the edge of a spatula or spoon and not even have to get your hands in. Refrigerate overnight, then grind it when it's nice and cold

I just buy lean ground pork from Costco.

sns2
10-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Here is your answer Pikergolf.

omega50
10-01-2017, 10:24 AM
It is a Octoberfest brat recipe. If I can mix and stuff the same day, preferably at the temp from Costco, that would be preferencial. It is a precooked recipe so needs to be cooked before I freeze it. Considering all that how would you proceed?

Sounds like a plan. Generally milk is added to up the lactose which is the sugar source for fermentation. But in this case no fermentation,so I suspect the milk powder and milk will keep your mix whiter which would be in line with a Bratwurst. The milk, milk powder and egg will all up the protein while giving you some moisture retention benefit

Only possible issue with the pre-ground lean ground pork is the fat content is low. In that case the breadcrumbs are desired and will gelatinize and swell absorbing moisture so it is not released in cooking. All makes sense now, but still might be a little dry.

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 10:38 AM
So should I store the stuff links in the fridge for a day before cooking and freezing, or stuff cook and freeze all the same day? Reason I ask was that mention was made about giving the spices a day to mingle.

omega50
10-01-2017, 11:43 AM
So should I store the stuff links in the fridge for a day before cooking and freezing, or stuff cook and freeze all the same day? Reason I ask was that mention was made about giving the spices a day to mingle.

Generally speaking I only give the sausage mix a few days to meld for beneficial bacterial growth desired for Fermented and Smoked/Cured Sausages. But your fresh Bratwurst actually is better done in one day. Cooked then Frozen

Nothing harmed by leaving a day, but if it were me I would minimize the mess and do it all in one shot and be done:sHa_shakeshout:

But whatever you decide to minimize the Arthritis pain.
I guess I mis-read and assumed your recipe was directing you to hold a day.
I hate to contradict a known recipe that you are happy with-so my default would be to follow the recipe instructions

Typically brats are kept white and an overnight hold would allow that uncured meat to oxidize and darken which is not typically desired in a Brat, but not the end of the world

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Generally speaking I only give the sausage mix a few days to meld for beneficial bacterial growth desired for Fermented and Smoked/Cured Sausages. But your fresh Bratwurst actually is better done in one day. Cooked then Frozen

Nothing harmed by leaving a day, but if it were me I would minimize the mess and do it all in one shot and be done:sHa_shakeshout:

But whatever you decide to minimize the Arthritis pain.
I guess I mis-read and assumed your recipe was directing you to hold a day.
I hate to contradict a known recipe that you are happy with-so my default would be to follow the recipe instructions

Typically brats are kept white and an overnight hold would allow that uncured meat to oxidize and darken which is not typically desired in a Brat, but not the end of the world

This I shall do.

pikergolf
10-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and help!!!:sLo_BigBearHug:

10-01-2017, 06:56 PM
That should work fine. You can also buy a hand crank mixer. I really like mine, works really well.

Yes

We had just retired and wild game sausage making was one the plans
My smart wife bought a SS steel one hand crank one online line for cheap...

Just a hint but you want the meat sliding through the press like pudding
And not stiff like cement
When working with natural casings
Use some young homemade red wine in the mixer
And your own spice mix, the commercial packs are all salt and chemicals

Found 1/2 way between fridge and room temperature ideal

Check utube also

riden
10-01-2017, 09:53 PM
I buy a lot of Mennonite/Farmers sausage. There is a Ruck Varscht that I really like. I have never made it but I believe the biggest difference it is mixed warm, not cold.

Might be worth looking into a recipe.