PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Trail Cams

mooseslayer
01-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Looking at buying some trail cams and just wondering if anyone has some insight on good quality, durable cameras. I realize they get pretty expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanx!!!!!!!!

Rob
01-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Click on Treebark Cameras advertisement on the masthead if you want a good camera made right here in Alberta.

nube
01-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Wahtever you do don't buy a cheap one under $350 or you will be diapointed. Don't buy a Moultrie. If you can't afford $400 then make your own.
Jamie hunt had a couple for sale as well.

Treebark
01-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I bought a Treebark and have been very happy with it. You save a lot of money on batteries and developing costs by going with digital. He usually does the hunting/fishing shows and puts up deals if you buy there. BL

kanonfodder
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
His cameras are cool but go early to the Sportsman shows to talk to him cuz it's almost always standing room only around his table. I didn't mind cuz I scored a great hat from him lol

mooseslayer
01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanx for the info. Greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Jalexander
09-20-2013, 01:18 PM
We have a bushnell and a moultrie. although the Moultrie was cheaper, the bushnell tends to outperform it on all fronts. the pictures are better quality with a better contrast so that animals show up clearer, the battery life is significantly longer, and there are better seals and design on the bushnell.

that being said, the moultire has a few features i like. The first being its trigger sensitivity, it is much more sensitive than the bushnell, so i find i get more pictures of animals, however i also get more pictures of just wind blowing. In addition, the password protection makes stealing it less of an issue (they can steal it, but cant use it). and finally the cost is good in that you can buy a few without breaking the bank.

All in all though, i would tend towards spending a bit more to get a better quality camera. nothing is more excitign than seeing a beautiful animal on camera, and nothing is more frustrating than coming back to a camera that has had a malfunction after 2 weeks of waiting for the pics. invest in this piece of equipment as it is a major help in your scouting and ultimate success in your hunts.

binocular
09-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Hopefully hes found some in the last 6.5 years.

Moonwalker
09-20-2013, 02:34 PM
A friend and I had a moutrie and a bushnell up at the bear bait this spring and the moultrie took better pics. Just bought a U-Way and I really like it as well.

dgonc86
09-20-2013, 05:41 PM
I bought the Primos truth cam $150 or that may be a little
High in price. And to be honest not a damn thing wrong with it. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to spend $300 plus on a cam. I compared my pics to my buddies bushnell $350 and not a whole lot of difference.

Venginator
09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Cams get stolen all the time by low-lifes... why blow $300 or more on one.

eagle99
09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Google trail camera reviews.
You should find trail cam pro and chasing game .

They do several test ie trigger speed /lag time /video/ range
Depends on want you will use it for in the off season ie security.

I use Reconyx hc 600, no video but very fast trigger speed
and fast recovery /1 picture /sec no glow / worked at -37 on a elk trail
Good battery life with lithium double a
Ask the wife for a new budget.

Ennyindabenny
09-20-2013, 06:54 PM
I have a $80 trail cam from wildgame innovations and it was taking pictures in -30 while everyone elses $300 cams were frozen up. It takes good pictures.

Big Daddy Badger
09-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Best thing to do is buy em in bulk...by the ton is possible....cause they seem to grow legs a lot.

Red Bullets
09-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Looking at buying some trail cams and just wondering if anyone has some insight on good quality, durable cameras. I realize they get pretty expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanx!!!!!!!!

I have always had the best returns from my moultries. I have a bushnell that doesn't take the greatest pics. Also, A couple of stealth cams. The stealthcams are no good right from the start.

Moultrie has a few internet specials. Can save up to 200 per unit buying direct.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catalog.aspx?catid=moultriespecials

--Adam--
09-21-2013, 09:06 AM
I have Moultries and Bushnell, both awesome cameras..no problems, long battery life on both. I've owned stealth cameras before and wouldn't recommend them at all..

As someone else said here as well, cameras get stolen by lowlifes all the time. (I've had a treestand and trail camera stolen). I'd rather buy a bunch of Moultries or Bushnells for a good price, instead of having one or two really expensive cameras. JMO.

The Bit Runner.
09-21-2013, 09:31 AM
I ran 11 cameras this year again and I think the U-WAY camera takes the best pictures by far. The stealth cameras are ok but no where near the quality of picture. The tasco camera is total waist of money. I been running A lot of cameras over the past 7-8 years and I would have to say so far the u-way cameras have worked the best for me. The last u-way camera I bought was 149.00$ and works great. I have not tried them all, cause over the last 3-4 years it seems like every one is making these darn things. I have a 450.00$ camera but that sucker stays close to the house. I have a great stealth camera over 250.00$ as well but it will only take a 2 gig card but takes great pics. All the rest of my cameras are under 150.00$ as i have better things to do with my money than donate expensive camera's to the dirt bags who steal them. On average I lose 1-2 camera's per year. This year believe it or not I have yet to have one stolen :)

ceedub
09-21-2013, 08:53 PM
I have about 7 cameras out at the moment. For the money, tough to beat the Moultrie's in my opinion. My favourite camera that I own is my Cuddeback. They are about $100 more than the Moultrie but take great pics.

-Craig

Ruegsegger
09-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I have had a few different brands but the bushnell 8mp is the best all around camera I have used so far around $200.

J-Driver
09-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I have ran a multitude of cameras. Best bang for the buck.... acorn ltl by a very long shot. Have ran the new world outfitters clones, and they work well, but not as well in the cold. Run an energizer advanced lithium, and these cameras are unbeatable for 200 bucks. 30 above, or 40 below, they take good pics, and have long battery life. Stealth (**** experiences), Bushness (**** eperiences), Moultrie (usable, but Im not a fan of). Find the right dealer and you can get these cams for 150-160, or get them on ebay. I wont ever use another camera again.

Nait Hadya
09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Another vote for the Moultrie's.

Dunezilla
09-24-2013, 07:04 PM
I bought 3 game cameras & all I care about is what is in the area & the cameras do just that. The Moultrie , & the Wildgame cameras did good (& now that I know what is in the area they are now home). Also being on Crown Land where there is the chance of theft, (which did happen to folks on this forum), & a good chance of the cameras being bull dozed down to make way for a new lease road & oil/gas site I would rather use a cheaper version of $150 than to see a $350 to $500 camera disappear.

Most of the favourite hunting spots are now lease sites, or added lease sites to the ones that where all ready their.

buck66
09-24-2013, 07:19 PM
from my home brews

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx156/buck6611/fh27/P1010905_zps8bb46cbc.jpg (http://s751.photobucket.com/user/buck6611/media/fh27/P1010905_zps8bb46cbc.jpg.html)

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx156/buck6611/fh27/P1010902_zpsd6f72156.jpg (http://s751.photobucket.com/user/buck6611/media/fh27/P1010902_zpsd6f72156.jpg.html)

J-Driver
09-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Out of interest, how have the Moultrie cameras been holding up in extreme cold? The one I had tried didn't work much better than the crap bushnells, a couple days out of a premium set of batteries at the best

*BigSexyHunter*
09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I have 2 Primos truth X Cams, Work great! 4D Batteries, lasted me about 10,000 Pictures.