PDA

View Full Version : How to know which fifth wheel hitch fits what rails?

jstubbs
10-01-2017, 08:10 PM
My grandpa's Dodge 2500 diesel got written off today, and now he needs a truck to pull his fifth wheel trailer. Luckily enough I just bought a 2006 Duramax earlier this week so I currently have two diesels, so I told him he could have either for the time being. Only problem is both trucks have fifth wheel rails but no hitch, and both are different styles from what my grandpa's truck has, so can't use his current hitch and has to get a different one. Plan on picking up a used one off of Kijiji since hitches are insanely expensive new, but I have no clue what to get.

His Dodge has rails that go length-wise with the bed. My old 06 has rails that go width-wise with the bed, and my new 06 has some sort of weird four (or maybe five?) round hole set up. How do I know what brand of hitch fits the rails? Seems to me the width-wise set up is the most common, but are all width-wise rails universal or are their different sizes and types? I can grab photos later.

Thanks

gmcmax05
10-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Impossible to give an answer without pics of the rails. Could be any make, Curt, Reese, DSP, B&W, etc.

catnthehat
10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
The very best way would be to email a pic to a trailer hitch outfit and ask
I know my5th wheel hitch was a Reese but the truck I bought had the width-wise rails and I got s DSP hitch fir it and gave the Reese ( rails were included ) to my hunting buddy
Cat

beerhunter
10-02-2017, 11:21 AM
With a pic as said can identify pretty easy.

The ones that go the same direction of your frame rails is probably a DSP. But those rails I have seen also for HiJacker.

The ones that go cross ways are more commonly Reese but as said above also could be one of a couple other brands too.

jstubbs
10-02-2017, 06:24 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MzreoeB.jpg

Truck #1

https://i.imgur.com/Nm7fCcV.jpg

Truck #2

jstubbs
10-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Also just to avoid confusion, second picture is upside down for some reason, bottom of the pic is closest to cab (if that matters).

leeelmer
10-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Bottom is reese cross rail
Top i am not 100% but I believe curt or dp

jstubbs
10-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Bottom is reese cross rail
Top i am not 100% but I believe curt or dp

Thanks

beerhunter
10-03-2017, 10:46 AM
I would say truck #2 is a Reese probably. Curt has a similar mount for some of their hitches. I noticed DSP also used the cross version as well. If you find a used one just head over and see if it fits.

Truck #1 looks like Curt possibly too. I haven't seen one quite like that previous.