PDA

View Full Version : A little request for courtesy on the highways please

Ken07AOVette
10-01-2017, 09:43 PM
If you are out on the highway and see 4 ways on, vehicle tucked into the ditch they may be changing a tire. Give them some room. Out in the rain and huge wind at 830 tonite on hwy 16 with nobody in the left lane so many bastards almost hit me it was ridiculous. Good 4 ways a flashlight and spare tire in plain view should be enough to give these morons an idea they could possibly pull over to the left lane, or at least slow down a little. You would hope people would have enough brains but apparently not. Several semis went by on the white line with nobody in the left lane. I had no chance of going further the rim was instantly destroyed.
I am not a happy man tonite. The walls of water some put up were just awful. There is no excuse for it, good damn thing I had nothing other than a tire iron to throw, I needed that.

pikeslayer22
10-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Had the same experience not long ago...pretty much lost my faith in humanity

gmcmax05
10-01-2017, 10:04 PM
If the rim was destroyed or not, I would have limped it to an approach. No way I would work change flat on the shoulder. I have given up on fellow humans being human.

Ken07AOVette
10-01-2017, 10:14 PM
If the rim was destroyed or not, I would have limped it to an approach. No way I would work change flat on the shoulder. I have given up on fellow humans being human.

It was over 1/4 mile and a decent steep ditch.
Guess we have to carry red and blue lights to get people to use their heads?

tri777
10-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Not to long ago I was on Calgary drive south & half way to the Airport.
Tire issue on rear drivers side, was absolute hell watching these
unevolved idiots flying right next to me as I do my best indy car tire
swap attempt to get tire on studs & lugs on & out of there ASAP!!
Wholly hell..the stories tow truckers must have!

Also do not understand how cops can stand stopping people on the
highway& sitting behind them writing the ticket..if I were a cop I
would definatly direct the person I pulled over, to another side road.

Flight01
10-01-2017, 10:22 PM
It was over 1/4 mile and a decent steep ditch.

Even that don't work sometimes. I always move over or if it's a lady or an elderly I will change their tire. Was on a hot streak last year ,changed out 4 tires for other people, including one for my auntie in my driveway in -25. But that was way safer than dealing with Yahoos when your stuck on a tight shoulder

Ken you made it out ok. That's good to hear. Don't forget there are still some good humans out there. We're just harder to find and getting fewer and even further between

Mackinaw
10-01-2017, 10:44 PM
If you are out on the highway and see 4 ways on, vehicle tucked into the ditch they may be changing a tire. Give them some room. Out in the rain and huge wind at 830 tonite on hwy 16 with nobody in the left lane so many bastards almost hit me it was ridiculous. Good 4 ways a flashlight and spare tire in plain view should be enough to give these morons an idea they could possibly pull over to the left lane, or at least slow down a little. You would hope people would have enough brains but apparently not. Several semis went by on the white line with nobody in the left lane. I had no chance of going further the rim was instantly destroyed.
I am not a happy man tonite. The walls of water some put up were just awful. There is no excuse for it, good damn thing I had nothing other than a tire iron to throw, I needed that.

it is a simple fix you pay a little get an AMA membership let the guys with the proper equipment for the job do it. wby risk your life and someone else's for a few bucks.

mack

Trochu
10-01-2017, 10:47 PM

Then we could all slow to 40, no matter the lane you're in. :angry3:

A bit of inconvenience for me is better than someone getting hit, but it seems even basic rules of the road, let alone courtesies, are lost on most. Got honked at for going through a traffic circle correctly this evening and followed someone doing less than 80 on a 100 km/h highway for a short time.

Dean2
10-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Don't blame you for being ****ed, seems like people are just completely oblivious when driving. Like was said, I would either pull completely into the
flat part of the grass ditch or limp to the next pull out no matter how far it was. No friggin way will I take a chance on getting killed to save a tire/rim.

TylerThomson
10-01-2017, 11:21 PM
it is a simple fix you pay a little get an AMA membership let the guys with the proper equipment for the job do it. wby risk your life and someone else's for a few bucks.

mack

You can't get AMA for commercial vehicles which many self employed people in Alberta drive. And secondly what able bodied man needs to pay someone to change a tire?

A better suggestion would be advising someone to carry a set of collapsible road flares/ delineators or whatever you prefer to call them.

purgatory.sv
10-01-2017, 11:22 PM
I understand what you have described.

I haved parked and signaled behind a situation.

Patience is found sometimes.

Thank you for a reminder.

58thecat
10-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Don't blame you for being ****ed, seems like people are just completely oblivious when driving. Like was said, I would either pull completely into the
flat part of the grass ditch or limp to the next pull out no matter how far it was. No friggin way will I take a chance on getting killed to save a tire/rim.

Yup giving what we are up against these days on the highways limp her to a safe place off the road, rim/tire are replaceable, throw the spare on and carry on.

Redfrog
10-02-2017, 01:10 AM
I had tow trucks for a few years so I've been there, dun dat.

Flares work most of the time.

At the end of the day it's what's between your ears that determines what happens. Changing a tire in a rain/snow storm in the dark with out being to get completely off the highway, may not be the best choice.
Sometimes a call to a tow truck on your cell phone will be the least expensive and safest way to change that tire.

brslk
10-02-2017, 02:20 AM
You can't get AMA for commercial vehicles which many self employed people in Alberta drive. And secondly what able bodied man needs to pay someone to change a tire?

A better suggestion would be advising someone to carry a set of collapsible road flares/ delineators or whatever you prefer to call them.

I drive a commercial vehicle and have/use AMA. Used it on Thursday to have the SUV towed to the shop.

brslk
10-02-2017, 03:11 AM
Too late to edit my post but I just wanted t add, get a good cordless 1/2" impact to keep in the vehicle.
The quicker you get the tire changed the better.
Makes changing a tire in winter not so horrible also.

gunluvr
10-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Not to long ago I was on Calgary drive south & half way to the Airport.
Tire issue on rear drivers side, was absolute hell watching these
unevolved idiots flying right next to me as I do my best indy car tire
swap attempt to get tire on studs & lugs on & out of there ASAP!!
Wholly hell..the stories tow truckers must have!

Also do not understand how cops can stand stopping people on the
highway& sitting behind them writing the ticket..if I were a cop I
would definatly direct the person I pulled over, to another side road.

I drove a tow truck for 25+ years. Came to realize that most drivers have but one thing on their minds; to get where they're going. It's like the rest of their brain is turned off. Reduced speed limits when emergency lights flashing has definitely helped, but I wouldn't stake my life on every driver being aware.
Cops pulling cars over to the shoulder is just asking for trouble. You'd think cops could be a little more aware of just how stupid drivers can be.
Nowadays, with Distracted Driving Laws you see more people pulled over to the shoulder on busy highways just to send a damn text. How does that help? If at all possible, get to hell right off the highway.

sgill808
10-02-2017, 07:14 AM
They were probably busy texting.

Glad your okay though.

TylerThomson
10-02-2017, 07:52 AM
I drive a commercial vehicle and have/use AMA. Used it on Thursday to have the SUV towed to the shop.

Then they are most likely unaware your vehicle is commercial. Try and use your ama card while driving a cube van or fully loaded welding rig. They will show up and then tell you they can't help then leave.

.257Weatherby
10-02-2017, 08:17 AM
I hear you Ken...
Some people have lost their common sense and courtesy a long time ago.
Yup, tossing that tire iron woulda make changing that tire even more challenging.
Rob

bobtodrick
10-02-2017, 08:21 AM
I've had the same experience.
Another thing I've noticed of late...cyclists who are well on the shoulder...and the motorists who seem to think it a sport to see how close to them they can get when they pass at 100kph.

Mackinaw
10-02-2017, 08:23 AM

I had a 1 ton dump had it towed with no issue by CAA and still have a contractors trailer that had truck and trailer towed.and as far as your remark about able. bodied man why be stupid enough to risk your life ic you dont have e to. If you think a couple of collapsible reflectors will make a difference to driver speeding down the road you need a reality check.

mack

oilngas
10-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Great tip on the cordless 1/2" impact!! I also have "railroad flares" in both vehicles, they do get folks to pay attention.

I must confess I am the guy that slows / pulls over for vehicles / folks with issues like kids with emergency issues etc. on the side of the roadway. I get a few fingers and other audio accolades!!

But it is harrowing how blind folks are on the place they stop and people passing with no thought on the "hazard" ahead, folks distracted etc.

I don't think there is any good solution except for folks with problems to pull into ditch, secondary road, farmer field, I know its not always possible, but that is my first choice. I am also the guy that pull 200 m down a gravel road, or into field entrance etc. for a break.

tullfan
10-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Someone hit two of my three reflective triangles before realizing there was a tire being changed. Off to the shoulder, hazzards on.
Idiots.
Tullfan

Stinky Buffalo
10-02-2017, 10:02 AM
I feel for ya, Ken! Once while stranded on the shoulder, someone rammed me so hard, my VW Rabbit went airborne as it flew across the ditch into the woods.

I'm just thankful that I had just strapped myself in, and that I wasn't hit into traffic.

NCC
10-02-2017, 11:51 AM
I changed a tire on highway 49 once and ran for the fenceline several times as I thought I was about to get run over.

AMA sucks. My wife and kids travel all over to rodeos in the summer so I bought the most expensive RV platinum program. She blew a tire by Bowden and called AMA; sorry, we don't handle tire emergencies on trailers. Another time she called, they said they wouldn't respond because she was hauling livestock. They also don't do trucks with dual wheels if pulling a trailer and won't tow anything "modified" - ie has a flat deck. It was a complete waste of money.

TylerThomson
10-02-2017, 01:58 PM
I had a 1 ton dump had it towed with no issue by CAA and still have a contractors trailer that had truck and trailer towed.and as far as your remark about able. bodied man why be stupid enough to risk your life ic you dont have e to. If you think a couple of collapsible reflectors will make a difference to driver speeding down the road you need a reality check.

mack

Pylons and delineators work pretty darn good when you start them at the shoulder and v them into the middle of the lane. I've never seen anyone hit them on purpose. You just have to try to stir up crap don't you. It's kinda cute how hard you try.

And this is right from their website. Pay special attention to the terminology used, specifically the words personal and non-commercial.

Vehicles We Can Provide Service To
Basic Membership:

Four wheeled motor driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type regardless of licence plate designation, and conventional pedal bikes, if those services can be safely delivered.
Campers/motor homes will be provided all services except towing, extrication/recovery and tire service. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service.
For trailer coverage, see CAA Plus RV.
Plus Membership:

Plus membership covers the same vehicles as the Basic Membership.
Full coverage is extended to Motorcycles throughout Canada. In the US, AAA clubs cover motorcycles under the Plus RV membership.
Plus RV Membership:

There is no weight restriction on eligible passenger, pleasure or recreational vehicles for towing, winching and tire changes.
Full coverage is extended to all types of non-commercial trailers.

Mackinaw
10-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Pylons and delineators work pretty darn good when you start them at the shoulder and v them into the middle of the lane. I've never seen anyone hit them on purpose. You just have to try to stir up crap don't you. It's kinda cute how hard you try.

And this is right from their website. Pay special attention to the terminology used, specifically the words personal and non-commercial.

Vehicles We Can Provide Service To
Basic Membership:

Four wheeled motor driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type regardless of licence plate designation, and conventional pedal bikes, if those services can be safely delivered.
Campers/motor homes will be provided all services except towing, extrication/recovery and tire service. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service.
For trailer coverage, see CAA Plus RV.
Plus Membership:

Plus membership covers the same vehicles as the Basic Membership.
Full coverage is extended to Motorcycles throughout Canada. In the US, AAA clubs cover motorcycles under the Plus RV membership.
Plus RV Membership:

There is no weight restriction on eligible passenger, pleasure or recreational vehicles for towing, winching and tire changes.
Full coverage is extended to all types of non-commercial trailers.

i juzt posted what i do if you dont like it dont read it .no need for you to whiine.

:)
mack

JohninAB
10-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Wish they would change the law to state anyone pulled over to the side of the road instead of the current lights flashing law.

I feel for you Ken. Went thru this the other day on hwy 16. Totally mind boggling how some drivers totally seem oblivious to a person pulled over and trying to change a tire.Brain dead is the most applicable description I can apply. Mind you, slowing down and moving to the left lane may have cost them 21 seconds in their life.

Ken07AOVette
10-02-2017, 04:57 PM
I feel for ya, Ken! Once while stranded on the shoulder, someone rammed me so hard, my VW Rabbit went airborne as it flew across the ditch into the woods.

I'm just thankful that I had just strapped myself in, and that I wasn't hit into traffic.

Holy hell :scared0015:

I was actually more scared for my wife sitting in the passenger seat. I knew someone hitting me would be instant game over, but she being tied in would likely suffer.

KegRiver
10-02-2017, 05:35 PM
I feel for you bud.
I wish I had been there to help, and I would have done so even if I did not know you.

I learned a long time ago that there is nothing in my life so important that I can not stop and at least offer to help.

And I have learned that helping strangers has it's own rewards.

I wonder, how it would feel to be the person who killed someone because I was in too much of a hurry.

This summer I was on my way home, it was rained and the middle of the night.
I came upon a car stopped in the middle of the highway. I slowed down to see if they needed help and that is when I saw the body lying at the edge of the pavement. A hitchhiker I believe. The driver of the car looked to be in shock.

Just then the police showed up, so I went on my way. To tell the truth I was in no mood to offer help just then. I was physically sick thinking about how that driver must have been feeling.
At that moment I wanted nothing more then to forget the look on his face as I drove up.

Be safe out there people.

silver
10-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I have driven commercially for a living and when I see a vehicle on the shoulder I will pull over to the left lane, traffic permitting.

And I watch the rest of the traffic and I would say about 4 out of 5 will pull over as well. This leaves me to speculate about the ones that won't. Is it their upbringing, their training, or what?

Ken07AOVette
10-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Thanks Silver, I have no doubt at all that you hit the left lane. I don't know if it was the weather, the time or what, but far too many people were too damn close last night.

People likely do not realize that a drunk driver will actually aim for lights in their way, which may happen when people are too tired to be driving. Fix on a spot and lose concentration. There are far too many deaths from driver fixation and distraction.

I took the tire off and inspected the rim, looks like the rim is actually fine. The tire blew where there was a plug installed by the previous owner.

CranePete
10-03-2017, 10:50 AM
As a professional driver for over 30 years, I can say that I always make an effort to give a wide berth to any vehicle pulled off on the shoulder. As a member of the travelling public, I carry ( and use ) a magnetic based flashing amber beacon, because it's just a bit more visible and "attention getting" than 4-ways alone. My 2 cents...
CranePete

Ken07AOVette
10-03-2017, 03:14 PM
As a professional driver for over 30 years, I can say that I always make an effort to give a wide berth to any vehicle pulled off on the shoulder. As a member of the travelling public, I carry ( and use ) a magnetic based flashing amber beacon, because it's just a bit more visible and "attention getting" than 4-ways alone. My 2 cents...
CranePete

Thank you!

I have a set of ignorantly bright LED flashing lights that I am going to start carrying I guess. They are red/blue. Green and purple are legal for civilian vehicles and first responders, I will try some colored lenses and see if I can get the blue changed to purple or green.

I have stopped many times, honestly never was as worried as that night. I am going to put one of the high-visibility firefighter jackets in every time I leave now I guess. With the reflective stripes it should help.

TylerThomson
10-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Just about creamed today and thought of this thread. I live in the country just off the highway at the apex of a corner. So I turn on my signal light early to warn the people behind me I need to turn left off the highway. Oncoming traffic forces me to come to a stop on the highway before I can turn. I look in my rearview and see a guy flying up behind me obviously not paying attention because he sees me and tries to go around me. He ends up getting pulled into the ditch hard. I make my turn and left them there.

I can't wait for winter info this corner again. Last year our stop sign got taken out so many times the md quit fixing it. I don't even go offer to pull people out anymore if they hit the ditch by my place.

DWS
10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
There is a new association in Alberta for Tow truck and hiway service providers. Between this association and the RCMP the laws are going to be enforced more in the future.
Any one that does not slow down and move over from a vehicle with flashing amber lights or vehicles that are parked on the side of any road will be ticketed.

Please people, if you see lights, move over from a vehicle on the side of the road.

Mavrick
10-04-2017, 10:13 AM
I use to skydive, never knew what fear was until I worked for a while as a tow truck driver. Everyone is in such a hurry, I can't do the speed limit on any highway, or back road without someone right on my ***** trying to beat the land speed record. Where are we all going that we need to get there that fast? If we are trying to slow the clock down, it will one day just stop ticking for you altogether.

Fisherpeak
10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
People likely do not realize that a drunk driver will actually aim for lights in their way, which may happen when people are too tired to be driving. Fix on a spot and lose concentration. There are far too many deaths from driver fixation and distraction. .

My son damn near got killed helping jump start a car , pulled 30 feet off the road in a turn out and some drunk rear ended his truck when he was between the 2 vehicles hooking up cables. The guy thought it was the main road. At night with emergency flashers on too. Steve got lucky, the 2 vehicles were not parked square on so the collision pooped him off to one side. Broke ribs.,busted up face but not dead.

silver
11-01-2017, 12:07 PM
I have been thinking about this one for a while.

The other day, the engine on my truck wasn't warmed up when I got to the highway, so I headed down the shoulder of the highway to give it time to warm up. I don't like to lug it or rev it up, I run it in the 1200 to 1500 range until the temp gauge moves close to normal. On that day, most people moved over to the left lane except one. He passes me in the right lane. It wasn't long before I was up to speed and I followed him for a while, about a half a mile back. In the next half an hour I watched him go by two vehicles on the shoulder, passing them in the right lane.

I also saw a guy in the left lane, nobody around him for a half mile, cruising along. I thought the left lane was just for passing. Maybe there are new rules that came out and I never heard about them.

I don't have the training or experience to analyze such people, that they could be oblivious to what is going on around them. I am just going to try and stay out of their way.

javlin101
11-01-2017, 12:31 PM
So driving from Didsbury to Olds on the back roads this morning with slippery spots and blowing snow. The snow blowing around made visibility in some spots poor. I wish people would learn to turn their lights on as it is much easier to see them.

Arty
11-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Having frequently driven on the A8 and A7, and once in a while through the Essen maze, it seemed to me that merging left when approaching & passing an on-ramp was simply self-preservation. Same while passing any obstruction on the shoulder.

I'd usually drive 220-240 kmh in good conditions. Real bad mojo if you snagged anything in the right lane. Can't imagine why you'd insist on being there, instead of merging left into an empty lane, if something weird was coming up. Or why you'd want to pass on the right hand side. I can assure you a rear-end collision at 200+ kph gets a lot more radical than at 80.

But in addition to not reading the situation ahead, way too many people don't realize how valuable extra space is. It only takes a couple inches too far to snag something with your vehicle. If you can give an extra foot or so, or wait while another vehicle passes a tight spot, that can make all the difference in the world. I find anyone who's worked on large industrial sites during construction or operations, or who operates heavy equipment, or most transport drivers, have developed a good sense for that.

The housewives and other old ladies, third-world immigrants and many kids driving fart-cans, I've found just try to shove through anything to show 'they have just as much right to be there'. Those are the ones which really give me the creeps.

Finally, in many jurisdictions it is mandatory to carry warning triangles, cones, and/or flares, and to use them if you're disabled on the side of any public road. This is SO IMPORTANT. It should be subject to spot checks any time anyone is pulled over the any reason, and at all 'stop-checks'.

And it means walking way down the road to start a slow 'V' from the shoulder to the outside edge of your vehicle, where the last two indicators are flares. That's your last chance to get a driver's attention in time who's tired or sick, worried about paying the mortgage and having domestic arguments on the cellphone.

bat119
11-01-2017, 04:11 PM
First responders thought it looked "almost like Armageddon."

Fully loaded tanker trucks that exploded in Highway 400 pileup were 'bombs on wheels,' police say
A fatal, 14-vehicle pileup that killed at least three*people and left Highway 400 about an hour north of Toronto*littered with "tangled, twisted metal" may have been caused by an inattentive transport truck driver, police said Wednesday.*
The chain reaction of collisions started around 11:30 p.m. ET Tuesday, when a transport truck slammed into the back of another large truck that was stopped at the end of a long line of traffic in the northbound lanes. Two fully loaded tanker trucks, three other commercial vehicles and multiple cars were involved in the crash that ensued.

There's really no excuse for that truck to continue down the highway at the speed that they did,"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/highway-400-fatal-pileup-cookstown-1.4381540

Ken07AOVette
11-01-2017, 09:03 PM
All the 'special' people were all over the road to Calgary and back today, wow there were a lot of vehicles in the ditch. It was almost comical watching people skate all over the place.
I would be called out for racial profiling if I said who the majority of the idiots were today.
As Iron Mike Tyson says;

Thlow down, ith thlippery out there!

TylerThomson
11-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Traffic has been doing about 50kmh around the corner by my place on the highway. Usually takes a coupe weeks for people to get their confidence up. I should start a pool with the wife and my neighbors on what day someone first wipes out our stop sign.