PDA

View Full Version : Jags is coming to Calgary

Scottmisfits
10-02-2017, 09:34 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-sign-jaromir-jagr-one-year-contract/

A one year deal. Apparently he turned down other teams to sign here. With any luck he’ll add some more leadership and bring the team up.

HoytCRX32
10-02-2017, 09:36 AM
As a season ticket holder this should be fun...although I'm not quite sure why, if they really need a third line RW they didn't try to get Iginla back....5 years younger

tacomama
10-02-2017, 09:49 AM
This is great, he's an awesome player!

Deer Hunter
10-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Classy guy with a great work ethic. Should be good for the team.

Whipper Billy
10-02-2017, 10:16 AM
if they really need a third line RW they didn't try to get Iginla back....5 years younger

2016-17
Iginla 14g 13a 27pts -30 70pim 80 games
Yagr 16g 30a 46pts + 2 56pim 82 games

HoytCRX32
10-02-2017, 10:38 AM
2016-17
Iginla 14g 13a 27pts -30 70pim 80 games
Yagr 16g 30a 46pts + 2 56pim 82 games

Ya...I'm not arguing...I like Yagr.

JareS
10-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Thats exciting! Not only that he's playing in the NHL another year but that he's with the Flames!

Jaromir seems to be in pretty amazing shape physically and can still keep up and pit up impressive numbers. As cool as having Jarome back would've been, I can't see him keeping up at an NHL level anymore. Hopefully we'll get to watch him skate for Team Canada at the olympics though!

sgill808
10-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Great news for the Flames! Can't wait till Wednesday.

Also.... oilers suck

creeky
10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
this is cool, great great player and tho declined will be fun to watch him play in YYC.

smart move for flames brass too with all the posturing goin on over a new arena:test:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okotokian
10-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I want to see his mullet waving in the wind... as McDavid blows by him. He was great, but his time has passed.

Flames have vets, don't need him in the dressing room for "leadership". Nice novelty but...

fitzy
10-02-2017, 12:36 PM
As a season ticket holder this should be fun...although I'm not quite sure why, if they really need a third line RW they didn't try to get Iginla back....5 years younger

As an Oil fan I'd have loved it if they signed Iggy.

Twisted Canuck
10-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Now if we can just get Ken Dryden to come out of retirement to play goal....:scared:

nick0danger
10-02-2017, 03:25 PM
The Flames lack right wing depth. Quite badly. It was basically Frolik, Ferland, and Brouwer (who was monumentally bad last season) before this signing. The lack of useful right-handed shots (especially guys with experience and/or skill and/or size) was and still remains a glaring issue for this team.

The Flames gave the youngsters a chance to impress during the preseason, but none of them stepped up (quite frankly, they basically just sucked). [This was guys like Foo, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Poirier, Pribyl, Hathaway, and a few others...]

Before this signing, Brouwer was going to be the team's de facto 3rd line RW, but the overwhelming consensus among most fans is that he dragged down Bennett and Versteeg all year in 2016/17. Now, you bring in a Top-10 player in NHL history (and arguably top 2 winger in the history of hockey), and that changes things. I'm excited for Bennett to play with Jagr (or Tkachuk, or even on one of the top two lines, depending how the season goes). He's too talented to be stuck with Brouwer all year.

Jagr cannot possibly be worse than Brouwer was last season, even at 45 years-old. Yes, he's painfully slow, and probably less spry and durable than he once was. But his possession metrics are impossibly good for his age, and he hasn't lost his skill. Even in sheltered minutes, he should help this team immensely.

Deer Hunter
10-02-2017, 04:26 PM
yep, he can sure handle the puck like no other

brslk
10-02-2017, 05:19 PM
yep, he can sure handle the puck like no other

I can handle a puck like no other. Not in a good way.

58thecat
10-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Good finally a rockstar arrives....good for 40 points this season.

Ranch11
10-02-2017, 06:29 PM
They needed a 40-50 point guy, they didn't need an 80 point guy.
Plus he's cheap!
This'll help em big time.

DiabeticKripple
10-02-2017, 06:31 PM
He would fit in good on the third line

wildbill
10-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Aaaaaaaawwwwww yyyyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh........that's like some secret Shao Lin move bustin out an iconic Camaro crash helmet like that! Back in the 80's if I'm not mistaken, Calgary was ground zero for the neck blanket aka Wisconson waterfall, Tennesse top hat, Mississippi mud flap. I remember those days as a child, backwards handlebars on ten speeds, net football shirts that came up to ones chest, gggggrrrreeeeaaaassssyyyyyy moustaches, and classic foam net hats! Those were the days when givin'er meant somethin!!!! I think this just may work! Aaaaaaaawwwwww yyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!!! That mullet may just bring us back to the glory days!!!! And we all remember what happened to the Flames in 89'!

elk396
10-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Classy guy with a great work ethic. Should be good for the team.

Calassy guy on the ice, but a real pig off the ice, lol. Look out ladies! One of the worst in the league apparently. But on the ice, he's a great addition

brendan's dad
10-02-2017, 08:05 PM
I am an Oiler fan but have respect for Iggy. Those of you hating on him forget that he spent most of last season with Colorado.... even Duschene's numbers sucked last year. Once traded to LA his numbers were much better and he even had a couple of scraps; not bad for 40!

Bulldog Edm
10-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Here's an interesting article I just read.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/fanning-the-flames-will-jagr-really-make-a-difference-in-calgary

The Fisherman Guy
10-02-2017, 08:24 PM
How did trading Ryan Smyth away and then bring him back work out for the oilers?
How about for dear ol' Smytty?

That is partially why the Flames will not bring Iginla back.

does it ALL outdoors
10-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Apparently he turned down other teams to sign here.

He was sending out pictures of his cat a few days ago, there were no other offers :snapoutofit:

Trochu
10-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Here's an interesting article I just read.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/fanning-the-flames-will-jagr-really-make-a-difference-in-calgary

Some of those arguments seem pretty weak. Scoring in the playoffs, while its true, he hasn't scored in the last two trips, he does have 12 points. I also don't really understand this, "Well, he didn’t make the Panthers much better. For the 130 points he put up there in two-plus seasons...". I'd say putting up 130 pts in 2+ seasons would make any team better. Funny how he makes no mention of their No. 1 center, Barkov missing 20+ games last year or their No. 1 LW, Huberdeau, missing 50+. But its Jagr's fault that the team was no good because he only put up 130 pts in 2+ years? Or, "And even though it appears Mark Jankowski will be on the final roster, there is no way the addition of Jagr does not cut into the NHL development opportunities for him." I wouldn't think a RW ice time would often cut into a centerman's, but what do I know. Or this, "And at the same age, Spencer Foo was signed as a free agent and will probably be moved down the depth chart and into the minors." while everything I read and heard suggested Foo wouldn't be starting in Calgary anyway.....

Trochu
10-02-2017, 11:54 PM
He was sending out pictures of his cat a few days ago, there were no other offers :snapoutofit:

Straight from TSN: "Jagr also turned down a contract offer from the St. Louis Blues, general manager Doug Armstrong confirmed to LeBrun."

TBark
10-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Right on.
I’m not gunna cut my hair this year.

TBark

DiabeticKripple
10-03-2017, 08:58 AM
His reason for choosing Calgary over the Blues was that the Flames has interest since day 1, and the Blues only called him when their players got hurt.

bessiedog
10-03-2017, 10:00 AM
He'll match the decore of your barn.

Mullets were a thing when the saddledome was new yes...?

Maybe you guys can coax Fleury and Lanny M out of retirement...

This was an aquisition to distract the fans from the obvious locker room crisis that is going on with the 'little princesses' again....... bunch o babies....

reminds me of Hall and Ebbie and all the cryin....

You guys are gonna sooooo hate Thursday morning.

lmtada
10-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Drafted him yesterday. Good for 50 points. Strong as ox. Perfect hockey player.

Okotokian
10-03-2017, 11:08 AM
It's just a ploy to make everyone temporarily forget the arena flap. Flames management weren't looking good holding a gun to city's head and sending in Bettman to deliver threats. Now everyone's back to loving the Flames. ;) They needed this signing.

Also, the signing being at this point, at the end of camp, is an admission that nobody showed up from the minors capable of filling the slot. That's what they were waiting for. If Yags was such a great addition they could have signed him a month ago and had him at camp, practicing, learning the system. He was there to be had. So either he was their last choice, or they were his last choice. Somebody was waiting for something better to come along either way.

Stubb
10-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Aaaaaaaawwwwww yyyyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh........that's like some secret Shao Lin move bustin out an iconic Camaro crash helmet like that! Back in the 80's if I'm not mistaken, Calgary was ground zero for the neck blanket aka Wisconson waterfall, Tennesse top hat, Mississippi mud flap. I remember those days as a child, backwards handlebars on ten speeds, net football shirts that came up to ones chest, gggggrrrreeeeaaaassssyyyyyy moustaches, and classic foam net hats! Those were the days when givin'er meant somethin!!!! I think this just may work! Aaaaaaaawwwwww yyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!!! That mullet may just bring us back to the glory days!!!! And we all remember what happened to the Flames in 89'!

That is the best post of the day right there! haha

270person
10-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Major desperation move.

colt-44
10-03-2017, 01:16 PM
He'll match the decore of your barn.

Mullets were a thing when the saddledome was new yes...?

Maybe you guys can coax Fleury and Lanny M out of retirement...

This was an aquisition to distract the fans from the obvious locker room crisis that is going on with the 'little princesses' again....... bunch o babies....

reminds me of Hall and Ebbie and all the cryin....

You guys are gonna sooooo hate Thursday morning.

Bessie you dog you... LOL... game on :)

Trochu
10-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Major desperation move.

When did it become desperation to recognize a need and sign a player to hopefully fill said need?

sgill808
10-03-2017, 04:24 PM
One more day till season opener. Can't Wait!

GO FLAMES GO!!

And on behalf of the Edmonton fans, I will share your motto of the last 12 years+ "this is our year!"

58thecat
10-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Major desperation move.

Why fourth or third liner that can get you 40 points in a season and be a mentor...money well spent.

hal53
10-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Why fourth or third liner that can get you 40 points in a season and be a mentor...money well spent.
He will be great in the dressing room for those young , over paid kids that think they're God's gift to the NHL

270person
10-03-2017, 07:56 PM
When did it become desperation to recognize a need and sign a player to hopefully fill said need?

When the guys 45 and you're icing a decently young team. Didn't realize the Flames were in a win NOW situation and if they were paying attention to their forward lineup and goaltending you'd think they'd know it wasn't a reality.

Jagr is going to be some kind of answer?

58thecat
10-04-2017, 05:44 AM
When the guys 45 and you're icing a decently young team. Didn't realize the Flames were in a win NOW situation and if they were paying attention to their forward lineup and goaltending you'd think they'd know it wasn't a reality.

Jagr is going to be some kind of answer?

Only time will tell now...

brendan's dad
10-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Calgary is doing what almost all other teams are doing, building from the net out. They have had some trouble with goaltending but Smith might be the answer. Also Calgary’s D core is fairly impressive. It on the forwards and guys like Bennett and Brower to earn their pay checks. They could have used a little more size or toughness though, how many times are you gonna want Gadzik eating up a roster spot.