PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Calgary Gunsmith Recommendation

tyee43
01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Guys - I have a few rifles that I'd like to get professionally cleaned, "accurized", trigger adjustments etc.

I need some recommendations on Calgary gunsmiths - anybody have any gunsmith recommendations? good stories? horror stories? Let me know.

The first thing I want to do is get my Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 mounted on my .444 Marlin so I can take it out for spring bear! With the new Hornady LeveRevolution ammo, that gun can reach out and touch someone without any difficulty to 200 yards, with some pretty impressive punch...

Thanks,

tyee43

shorthair
01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Give the guys at Alberta Tactical Rifle a call.
www.albertatacticalrifle.com
They do a great job and were quick with my project i thought.

shorthair

Dick284
01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
My experience and a couple buddies of mine were to the contrary of what Shothair discribed.
One fellow is still waiting for his project rifle 3 years after the action arrived. The barrel was wrong length, wrong contour, and the bedding was atrocious.
But who knows maybe we are just unlucky.

Try Dave Henry in Bentley. 403-748-3030
Also we have a new guy here in Drayton Valley, he just wrapped up my .284Win for me, and things ,look mighty good so far(borescope insp.)He is a BR shooter and knows what quality is all about.
Dan, 780-542-9375

crazy davey
01-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Alberta tactical rifle has always done good work for everyone I know that has used him.

Every place has a few bad luck situations I guess. ATR will continue to get my buisness as well as many others that I know.

Good luck :hat

grandslamer1
01-10-2007, 09:05 AM
pro line shooters 403 265.6666

tyee43
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I've heard mixed reviews about Pro-Line - anybody have any experience with them?

Gunsmith
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Henry Rempel in Calgary 272 8416
If you want references for him check with any of the benchrest or 1000 yard shooters.

slopeshunter
01-11-2007, 12:36 AM
There's a gunsmith named Dave that works in South Calgary (somewhere off Flint road, north or Russells). Anybody know anything about him?

Blakeinator2
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I second the Henry Rempel in Calgary.

I've had him bed a rifle for me and do a slight modification here and there. I don't know him well enough to say too much more except what i've heard. I read a thread about gunsmiths on huntshoot awhile ago and someone confirmed that he and maybe one other guy in canada consistantly build winning guns in the 1000 yrd benchrest stuff...so i feel almost like i'm wasting his time when i drag some pencil barrel sporter into him for some treatment lol.

And if i were ever wanting to build a custom benchrest gun in whatever wildcat cartridge etc. then he'd be the only one i'd want to do it. Have seen his work and some of those custom guns and how they'll shoot etc. Way above my comprehension.

B

calgary gu
01-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree with the recommendation of Dave Henry. He is excellent, knows his guns and I have not found his prices to be unreasonable. However, he is very busy. My suggestion is that you get your guns in to him as soon as possible and then expect to wait for several months. The wait tho is worth it. Also, he is west of Lacombe, which is a bit of a drive from Calgary

Solothurn
04-21-2008, 12:22 AM
My experience and a couple buddies of mine were to the contrary of what Shothair discribed.
One fellow is still waiting for his project rifle 3 years after the action arrived. The barrel was wrong length, wrong contour, and the bedding was atrocious.
But who knows maybe we are just unlucky.

Dick Are you and your buddies sure you have the right gunshop?? I KNOW there have NEVER been any rifles in my shop for 3 years waiting to be assembled. And IF the barrel was wrong why has no-one brought this to my attention?? If you are going to slag my company at least have the balls to get specific on details , as to who your alledged buddies are and what rifle are you referring to?
I can only think of 1 way to respond to this. Male Bovine Manure

Dick284
04-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Mr. Timmins
I beg to differ, the matter surrounded a Montana action chambered for 338Win. Mag.
Does that ring a bell?
I will not get into a matter of male beef Excrimant on this but my first hand perusal of the rifle fresh from your shop, looked like my 9 yerar old did the bedding, and your customer was un happy with the barrel dimensions. Them's the facts. Then there is the matter of a Savage 99 which needed scope bases fitted for, and well that customer was extremely un happy, seems the mounting holes and their allignment had some issues.
I will not get into this any further, and I am only speeking from my observations, perhaps your world is a diffrent color than mine.

sideshowkev
04-21-2008, 07:53 AM
There's a gunsmith named Dave that works in South Calgary (somewhere off Flint road, north or Russells). Anybody know anything about him?

I had him do a custom barrel for my .280 and re-chamber my 7mm Mauser. It turned out great but was a little bit of a wait. As long as time isn't an issue he will do a great job for you. His name is Dave Fuller and his company is Safari Gunsmithing. I don't have his card handy but if you phone Russells or WS they will have his number since he does the majority of work for both of those retailers, or just google him.

Solothurn
04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Mr. Timmins
I beg to differ, the matter surrounded a Montana action chambered for 338Win. Mag.
Does that ring a bell?
I will not get into a matter of male beef Excrimant on this but my first hand perusal of the rifle fresh from your shop, looked like my 9 yerar old did the bedding, and your customer was un happy with the barrel dimensions. Them's the facts. Then there is the matter of a Savage 99 which needed scope bases fitted for, and well that customer was extremely un happy, seems the mounting holes and their allignment had some issues.
I will not get into this any further, and I am only speeking from my observations, perhaps your world is a diffrent color than mine.

I DO recall the 338 based on the MRC action vividly. It was nowhere near 3 years sitting here. The barrel ordered was what the client asked for, then changed his mind several times after the fact. At every opportunity the client was looked after. My understanding fro him last we spoke was that he was happy with the extreme accuracy of the rifle.
The stock was an issue of its own.
I do not work on Savage 99s so have no clue where that comment comes from.
It seems funny that the parties DIRECTLY involved have said nothing, yet you post with an air of direct involvement.

CaberTosser
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I currently have a Winchester Model 70 Coyote Lite in .270 WSM in at Alberta Tactical getting bedded to its Bell & Carlson stock as well some trigger work done by Rick, and despite the doom and gloom predicted by Dick, I am confident I will recieve good workmanship. Its unfortunate when people insinuate themselves into a business situation as though they've been personally wronged, when they are merely observers and are only informed of select portions of what actually happened, of course adding allowance for translation errors and personal biases. How about keeping discussions between the actual people involved? I'm unable to comment on this customer transaction, being that I wasn't there; probably just as much as Dick wasn't.
Remember how many times a fable or a joke changes as its told and retold? Nothing like good old first hand information.

gitrdun
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I haven't had any gunsmithing done by Rick at ATR, but my best friend did. He was very happy with the end results. I have taken Rick's time to discuss a variety of things which in sorta of a way was a waste of his time. I've always found Rick to be a decent sort of fellow, straight shooter, etc. I'd take my projects to him at the drop of a hat. :)

Rackmastr
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Perhaps Dick284 choose his alias name accordingly ????

Thats pretty ignorant.....

harv3589
04-22-2008, 08:52 AM
There is no reason for this to turn into a slaggin post....name calling :huh:

I've had work done to a couple of rifles by Rick and it was outstanding.

Jamie
04-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Dick was right to post up. He saw and held the final product (Stock bedding)
His oppinion is valued.
ATR was right to step up and defend his work.. But I could not find where he defended the Stock work.

As for all the other stuff... Well who really cares. You will end up with a he said she said type of thing.

I do not know the work ATR does, and Dicks comments would not stop me from working with him, but they would make me ask more questions.. Whats so wrong with that?

Jamie

Win94
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
ATR was right to step up and defend his work.. But I could not find where he defended the Stock work.

If ATR could defend the bedding job i am sure he would have by now. The silence at this point speaks volumes.

bradtothebone
04-22-2008, 01:11 PM
have 2 custom rifles that rick has built for me, one i chose the components and he obtained them and assembled it, with great craftmanship and the other he chose the componants and assembled it, and I have nothing but praise for the quality workmanship, the accuracy and the knowledge/info that ATR has given to me,

WAS out at summerland bc, hitting a 20x20 target with my .338 LAI at over 2400 yrds and tagging a 16x16 target at 1100 yrds with a .22-250 with phenominal consistancy, oVER AND Over...... A testament to his rifles.....

Brad

Chet
04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
My brother had Rick at ATR build a custom LH 300 and I got a chance to shoot it a few weeks ago. It is an awesome rifle. Extremely accurate and great looking gun. He has had nothing but good things to say about his rifle and the continued support he has got and knowledge he has gained going the custom route with ATR.

Solothurn
04-22-2008, 05:55 PM
If ATR could defend the bedding job i am sure he would have by now. The silence at this point speaks volumes.

Here is the defense you so desperately seem to need. I can NOT make a silk purse from a sows ear, the stock was NOT inletted for an MRC action or even close, the inletting done by another highly regarded smith that was mentioned and has a pantograph, we were both misled by MRC that they shared a M70 inlet, some of the work was done by the client and there were at least 4 changes in plan from start to finish, the bedding accomplished its task in the end by maintaining 100% contact the length of the action, the action was supported by pillers, whether the colors of the vaious bedding agents matched is irrelevant, as it is not seen unless the gun is apart. Last I looked most guys shoot their rifles fully assembled.
I could see no point responding to a 3rd hand self serving attack that was laced with manure.
BUT to set the record perfectly straight. The initial deposit to start the project was Jan 22 2005, the stock blank was selected and ordered on April 11 2005, the stock was shipped to me from the stock maker on Sept 7 2005. On being instructed by the client to put the project on hold due to some personal issues delayed further work until Mar 18 2006, the rifle was signed for and delivered on June 22 2006. Now by my math that is CONSIDERABLY less than 3 years hence my calling Male Bovine Manure.

My question now is why is an unrelated party slandering my business with far less than complete information and NO standing, when the client appears to be satisfied?

Cement Bench
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
sounds to me like you chose the barrel for your so-called friend. Did you help him choose who to inlet it for him.

also are you saying this dan guy is better than ATR ? and if so maybe tell me how many winning rifles this dan guy has built? never heard of him. but I have heard of you,
awaiting a response

Cement

Dick284
04-23-2008, 06:27 AM
I at this time have but a few things to add.

The original post is from more than one year ago.

So lets look at a newer post:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11315

As you can see by post 6 and 8 something is indeed a bit contrary.

By post 8 the customer is not to happy.

And if you re read my post from more than one year ago Cement Bench, you will note that I caution my recomnedation to Dan since I am only talking about preliminary inspections.

I also want to have everybody including Mr. Timmens read post 6 from the above link.

I would also like to offer my sincerest apologies to Mr. Timmens and ATR. The offering up of my opinion from my observations as requested by the original poster was just that my opinion from my observations, and in no way was meant in no other tone than just an opinion.

Again we have folks berating others on here for having an opinion slightly diffrent than their's. It's an opinion nothing more or nothing less.

Solothurn
04-23-2008, 08:33 AM
I at this time have but a few things to add.

The original post is from more than one year ago.

So lets look at a newer post:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11315

As you can see by post 6 and 8 something is indeed a bit contrary.

By post 8 the customer is not to happy.

And if you re read my post from more than one year ago Cement Bench, you will note that I caution my recomnedation to Dan since I am only talking about preliminary inspections.

I also want to have everybody including Mr. Timmens read post 6 from the above link.

I would also like to offer my sincerest apologies to Mr. Timmens and ATR. The offering up of my opinion from my observations as requested by the original poster was just that my opinion from my observations, and in no way was meant in no other tone than just an opinion.

Again we have folks berating others on here for having an opinion slightly diffrent than their's. It's an opinion nothing more or nothing less.

Dick Understand this is an internet forum that can be read around the world.
To post things on second hand or insinuated information that can have adverse effects to another persons business can have severe repercusssions as unless a person is party to all the facts, conclusions can be drawn that are not necessarily correct.
I responded to this apparently older thread after being advised of it having a slanderous nature by several clients on this forum.

Mr Botha has not indicated to me that there were any significant problems with the final finished product. Granted we did have to revisit some areas, but I ALWAyS do whatever is required to make a client happy, with in reason.

When Mr Botha originally came to me I spent several hours with him making certain we were on the same page as to what his expectations were. He handled many of my firearms to get the feel of what the end product would be like. He settled on a heavy contour 28" long barrel, at some point after the rifle was nearly finished he wanted to have a light , shorter barreled rifle, so I shortened and recrowned the barrel and suggested he try it to see if it was acceptable. Putting metal back onto a barrel is an art I have not achieved yet, so was reluctant to alter the contour.
When he was jacked up on a weapons charge, he had me delay progress for several months, to see if he would even be allowed to own a rifle, so much of the time taken was nothing to do with me.

I was not aware he had any issues with the finished product or that he has decided to take it elsewhere for yet further alterations. I wish whoever he takes it to the best of luck.
Given the continuos changes to the original plan most shops would have kept ringing up the tab, knowing he was on a tight budget cut him several hundred dollars worth of slack.
It seems that when anyone has a gripe the FACTS get exagerated greatly.
Ie the 3 years.
I see in the post he made the reference to the 3 years, so conclude you took this for info for your post.

Believe me in this business 1 lives under a microscope, so I keep EXTREMELY accurate records and notes of what , when and where guns and parts are, from and when and where they are used.

I work my ass off trying to produce the best rifles available and guard my reputation fiercely as I have spent 35 years building it.
I grant we are all human and I like all others in any trade have had some issues where the best of intentions have not worked out. most recently I had an issue where a simple muzzle brake instal went sideways, I am replaceing the used factory barrel with a new Matchgrade custom barrel and changing the caliber as requested, to solve the issue for my client. Initially this client was offered a new rifle to replace the 1 that I damaged the barrel on. That is how I operate, so yes I take offense at forum posts that degrade my business.

Bobby B has not had anything built here , yet, but knows the lengths we go here to make certain a client is properly educated and informed of any decsions he is about to make, if he has spoken with Sajjad lately.

Dick your apology is accepted, but I ask that unless you possess 100% of both sides of a situation, post opinions that you have ALL the facts on.
I still don't and have not worked on Savage 99s

I sincerely hope that this has shed full light on this issue and that we can now move forward.

Win94
04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
I still don't and have not worked on Savage 99s

Thats because you would be a starving business man!!!! Those 99's are works of art and never require gunsmith attention!!!:D

Cement Bench
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
you help with 50 cal shoots, import for us, build first class rifles and you do not need someone taking shots at you like that. It seems to me as a long range guy that some people with weapons charges, changing their minds 3 times, that is just crap.
That is why I asked about who helped with the barrel change. That fellow when I saw him in calgary is quite skinny or thin and to have a fat barrel makes no sense. I wonder how many people are involved in building a custom gun for others and then bugger off when the gun is built. They sometimes seem to input their own ideas rather than what the buyer might need or really wants.
Amazing then to be critical of the finished product.
And oh dick, I am not critical of you just ATR build rifles and this new guy I never heard of, but I do long range sniping.

Oh well back to work we go, no cement work today but maybe we take and put the bad guys in cement next week. Hence cement head aka cement bench (more politically correct you know)
anyway rick get back to work, that is where your talent lies.

A last thought, charge the guns $25 per hour to discuss project, decisions quicker and less wasted time for the gunsmith.

Cement your shoes bubba.

catnthehat
04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
And oh dick, I am not critical of you just ATR build rifles and this new guy I never heard of, but I do long range sniping.

Oh well back to work we go, no cement work today but maybe we take and put the bad guys in cement next week. Hence cement head aka cement bench (more politically correct you know)
anyway rick get back to work, that is where your talent lies.

A last thought, charge the guns $25 per hour to discuss project, decisions quicker and less wasted time for the gunsmith.

Cement your shoes bubba.
You're a sniper that does cement work on the side?
I guess law enforcement (or the Military) doesn't pay that well then?
Cat

lazy ike
04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Rick has always done good by me and on one occassion bailed my stupid ass out after I took my rig to another "gunsmith".

Solothurn
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
I think the time has come to lock this thread.
Dick has been more of a "MAN" that many and has openly apologized for any inflamatory opinions he posted, which is more than many would do.
I would like to shake hands and move on.
Cheers to all
Rick

Donny Bear
04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Rick did fast excellent work on my Winchester Coyote Lite in 300 wsm very well done great accuracy sweet trigger nice bedding Tactical Bases Rings and in short order. Rick will have my next, but he will build it from scratch. no questions.

Dick284
04-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Dick has been more of a "MAN" that many and has openly apologized for any inflamatory opinions he posted, which is more than many would do.
I would like to shake hands and move on.
Cheers to all
Rick

Thanks Mr. Timmens, and yes please lock this thread it's past due to do so.
Time to move along.

DAVE
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I guess law enforcement (or the Military) doesYou're a sniper that does cement work on the side?n't pay that well then?
Cat

x2

Elk Hunter 55
04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Gentlemen,

Since this thread is not yet locked down, please let me offer my endorsement of Rick and Alberta Tactical.

The man does fine work and has always been exemplary in his behaviour to all.

A Very Satisfied Customer of Rick's
Elk Hunter 55

Mike Rae
04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Choosing Gunsmiths...

How does one do this accurately???
How about picking gunsmiths that produce "winning guns". I dont care which field, 1000 yard F class, Benchrest, Silhouette etc?

How about from safety aspect?
Like having the gunsmith lighten the trigger on your Remington 700 6mm. Having the gun go off when closing the bolt on the rifle.. Would this be a gunsmith you would want to know about? The gun being your rifle and having first hand experience of the gunsmith that did the work. Out of curiosity, would you go back to someone that did this? Only to give them a second opportunity at your rifle?

There has been mention of so called gunsmiths on this posting that I wouldnt let clean my gun let alone work on it.. Windbag may be a better fitting description..

Think about what I wrote.. Safety first, winning guns second? Do your research so you dont get a windbag!

Solothurn
04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Choosing Gunsmiths...

How does one do this accurately???
How about picking gunsmiths that produce "winning guns". I dont care which field, 1000 yard F class, Benchrest, Silhouette etc?

How about from safety aspect?
Like having the gunsmith lighten the trigger on your Remington 700 6mm. Having the gun go off when closing the bolt on the rifle.. Would this be a gunsmith you would want to know about? The gun being your rifle and having first hand experience of the gunsmith that did the work. Out of curiosity, would you go back to someone that did this? Only to give them a second opportunity at your rifle?

There has been mention of so called gunsmiths on this posting that I wouldnt let clean my gun let alone work on it.. Windbag may be a better fitting description..

Think about what I wrote.. Safety first, winning guns second? Do your research so you dont get a windbag!

Mike I would think that like having any work done on anything, you have to ask around of people you know and trust for opinions. That being said every person in every walk of life is still human and can make a mistake, or outright bungle a job. The key is how it is dealt with.

I have had issues where safety concerns have arisen, ie lug nuts on my truck not being tightened, loose propane lines in my RV, and know that I have caused some issues for others, of note comes to mind having a trigger in an M70 go from a safe 3 lbs to an unsafe 1 lb when the rear stock screw was torqued down more than I had it set to after the client took the rifle. It functioned perfectly here, but when he picked it up decided to snug the actions screw a bit more. I am not making excuses for anyone, just pointing out that we are all fallable as we are all human, at least I hope we are.

Anyone can screw up, how it is dealt with helps us decide whether to deal again with that service provider again.
Many times people will not let a business know that there is an issue, preferring to brood and tell their friends about a negative experience.
Unless a business knows of a problem, it is really hard to try and rectify it.
Reputable shops of any type will normally stand behind their work, if not you do not want to deal with them.

catnthehat
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Safety for me is paramount, and it is also to the people that build my rifles for me, or do metalwork modifications.
if they don't modify safely, you don't see their rifles in the winner's circle, that is for sure, because I know of no sanctioned competition that will alllow a trigger or any other part of a rifle or shotgun that will operate in an unsafe manner.
Cat

straight
05-03-2008, 08:51 AM
...A Very Satisfied Customer of Rick's
Elk Hunter 55

Good for you, Elk Hunter 55!

I'm a on the opposite side of the table - I am An Absolutely Unsatisfied Customer of Rick Timmins: crappy job for top dollars.
Do you read me, Rick? I'll see you soon:)
------------------------------------------

Now I have to admit, that ATR customer service is on the top: I met Rick today (May 6,2008) and that misunderstanding I mentioned before was cleared up finally.
:)

Wrongside
05-03-2008, 10:07 AM

Rick, I must respectfully disagree. These forums are about the sharing of opinions and ideas. Threads like these are very educational for the uninitiated, if locked, they disappear.. Also, I think this thread has served to show the stuff a couple of AO members are made of, IE; yourself and Dick284. Good on the both of you.

My 2 cents- Rick has done a couple of projects for me, 'tuned' a factory rifle and a re-barrel/tweaked action on a LH M70. Both turned out well and the 'custom' shoots VERY well.:D Lord willing, someday I'll have the money for one of those 338LMAI Rick and co. crank out.:)

buckman
05-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Stay Away From Ray At The Riflemans Shoppe His Work Is Sloppy And Poorly Done

Bobby B.
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
For what it's worth, I've decided to add my thoughts on this matter. My friend, Sajjad, is decidedly interested in long range shooting and thus is interested in eventually owning a fully customized rifle chambered for the 338 Lapua AI. To this end, he has been initiating numerous conversations with Rick Timmons of Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply, conversations which Rick always entertained.

Rick participated in the Tactical Rifle shoot held by the Genesee club this past Saturday. On Sunday, he met with Sajjad to provide Sajjad with the opportunity to shoot some of Rick's rifles. Sajjad was thus able to sample a Remington factory rifle chambered for the 338 Lapua, a 300 magnum of some rendition or other as well as Rick's own 338 LAI rifle. As a businessman myself, I view such actions as excellent customer service. However, the fact that Rick dissuaded Sajjad from the final purchase of the Remington rifle that Sajjad had specially ordered, speaks volumes of Rick's integrity and his genuine concern to both assist his customers in meeting their objectives plus allowing them to benefit from his extensive expertise in long range shooting. This is much, much more than simple excellent customer service, it is pretty much as good as it gets in my books.

BTW, this long range shooting starts at 1000 yds.

Bobby B.