PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lake Area

NSR Fisher
10-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Be sure to tune into FazeTimids channel to catch our latest trips!

We have been a bit behind on uploading but have been distracted by silly real-life issues like work. (Why can't we just go fishing every day?!)

Anyways just got back from the Abraham Lake area and the fishing was great!

I caught my first two bull trout ever! The second one was about 20" maybe a bit bigger. Nothing huge but put up a great fight using 6 pound line!

Definitely recommend the Cline river system where it pours into lake Abraham. The first day we could hardly keep them off, had 10 trout on shore in the hour before dark. Most of them were Lakers but a few bulls as well.

The whole area is an underrated fishery IMO and we will definitely be back! One fellow who was fishing near us said he brought in a 30" Bull right under the highway 11 bridge!

PS: Spinners and Croc spoons were the ticket. Tried flies here and there but we couldn't find any bug life around for the most part (getting pretty cold that high up in elevation) and the spinning gear was working so well it was hard to put it down and give the fly an honest shot!

Tight lines everybody!

-Ben

Dweb
10-03-2017, 06:49 PM
I will be keeping an eye out for new videos!

Dragless
10-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Cool man congrats abraham lake is a stunning lake but usually so damn windy the cline is equally as stunning tough to acces due to its canyons . Also "flies" dont necessarily mean insects, there arw plenty of baitfish patterns to choose from theres crayfish flies crabs squids ..... theres even a peice of bread fly for urban carp the possiblities are endless your imagination is litterally the limit when it comes to imitating what fish eat with flies !

NSR Fisher
10-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Agree the wind was a factor on Abraham. Never did end up putting the boat in the water like we planned.

But we got into a ton of trout from shore which was just as satisfying!

There was actually quite a decent trail heading up the Cline, its about 2 hours up river until you can really fish the pools but we had a ton of fun catching lakers & bulls right where it dumps into the lake. Its very deep in the channel at the mouth, I was hardly touching bottom using 15 foot diving cranks. Caught my best Bull with a brown trout colored crank.

Also, to the other poster, you're totally right about minnow imitation flies. I bet if I had thought of it at the time, a 3 or 4" white streamer would have worked just perfectly.

3blade
10-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Cool. I'm jealous, Abraham is really hit or miss and I've mostly been on the miss side. You did right with the deep diving gear.

Not surprised though, flies/streamers don't work great there, it's really difficult to get them deep enough. The rockies are eating nymphs off the bottom, and the lakers and bulls are eating rockies.