PDA

View Full Version : anyone have fishing spot suggestions

fishing_queen
05-09-2009, 09:14 PM
We are new to Calgary, we were hoping to get some suggestions for fishing spots around Calgary and area. We dont mind travelling an hour or so away, just want some good fishing. Not wanting to go to the Bow. We want to fish off a shore since we dont have a boat. Tried Dewitts Pond last weekend, no luck, not sure if it is stocked yet. We prefer to fish for walleye or pike but any suggestions would be helpful....Thanks

WayneChristie
05-09-2009, 09:21 PM
if you are willing to drive a couple hours there are many places for pike and walleye. East and South of Calgary. I gave up on the driving and just moved closer :lol:

fishing_queen
05-09-2009, 09:35 PM
we are definitely willing to drive a bit for good fishing. whats lakes do you suggest, we have the Barry Mitchell magazine if any of them are in them. thanks!!

WayneChristie
05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Newell, and lots of reservoirs in the area around it. Badger can be great, Travers, Macgregor, and more. Caught nice pike off the shore in a lot of them. Some big Walleye from the shore if you are skilled (lucky) too.

BlueNorther
05-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Check out Glenmore Reservoir right in Calgary, it is a pretty good pike fishery. I spent my youth pulling slough sharks out of there by the dozens, many exceeding 10 pounds or better. There's lots of trout water close to Calgary. Also get Barry Mitchells fishing guide and Backroads map book and explore.

2big4u
05-10-2009, 02:35 PM
"Check out Glenmore Reservoir right in Calgary, it is a pretty good pike fishery."

X2

:):)

SuCraM
05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
"Check out Glenmore Reservoir right in Calgary, it is a pretty good pike fishery."

X2

:):)
Well whats your secret I have tried numerous times over the last couple of years and have never even had a bite and I know how to catch pike and have tried all of the spots recommended on the board. I have officially crossed the reservoir off my list. I know of other spots in town that I can catch pike.

nicemustang
05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
You can catch lots of hammer handle pike from the south shore at Chestermere. Stand on the dike and cast away.

2big4u
05-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Slow troll 5OD where the elbow channels open into the main body, Soak a smelt pretty much anywhere. I have had best luck from shore from the North side 14 St offramp. Go straight and not onto Glenmore, Walk down between the fences ans cast from shore, The wind can get bad sometimes so check ahead. It is posted on each fence that it is no trespassing so just stay between them, it opens up before you get to the water. No boats in that section at all.

The main reason I like Glenmore is the paddle/sail only access and it is 5 minutes from the house.

elkfriend
05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Well whats your secret I have tried numerous times over the last couple of years and have never even had a bite and I know how to catch pike and have tried all of the spots recommended on the board. I have officially crossed the reservoir off my list. I know of other spots in town that I can catch pike.

X2. No luck for me on glenmore!

BlueNorther
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Always did well right in behind the face of the dam.There's a weed bed runs north all along the shore then it hits a deep drop off. The causway where Glemore Tr. crosses is also good. Casting off the riprap produced some of the biggest pike for me. I got spooled there once, would've really liked to have seen that pike.

I don't know about access to these spots any more, been many years since I've fished there.