PDA

View Full Version : Who got you into hunting?

frederickwreid
10-03-2017, 02:56 PM
I've been thinking a lot about my old man lately - in fact I was talking to him and he lamented the fact that we are now so far away. He lives in Newfoundland, and now we are in Edmonton. I was his usual hunting buddy and this is the first year since I can remember that he didn't bother to apply for a Moose Tag down there.

So I've been thinking about him and our past hunting experiences. I thought maybe someone wants to reminisce with me. Who got you into hunting? What was your first harvested animal? Got a good story? I'd love to read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott N
10-03-2017, 03:24 PM
My dad got me into hunting when I was first legally able to do so. Pheasant and Hungarian partridge was what we used to do. On my first day hunting (14 years old) I was able to get a double on pheasants... it was pretty exciting for me, and I'll always remember it.

My best friend's dad was the first to take me out big game hunting, my first animal was a mulie doe taken while out with my best friend and his dad when I was 16.

It's good to remember this kind of thing... life is uncertain, no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Stinky Buffalo
10-03-2017, 04:11 PM
My dad had several friends who were into hunting - As a kid, I couldn't get enough of the stories and pictures of their adventures.

Dad was really not into hunting, but he loved the outdoors, and fishing. He instilled that in us.

My sister got into it eventually, and eventually I did too. Now I have the pleasure of introducing my kids to it. :)

DiabeticKripple
10-03-2017, 04:14 PM
I’ve always had an interest in hunting, but after joining this forum the itch got bad so I got my PAL and Jacenbeers on here took me under his wing. I fished with him lots before but he is the guy that got me on my first few animals.

blueice123
10-03-2017, 04:33 PM
My Wife

wildwoods
10-03-2017, 05:22 PM
For me this is a multifaceted question. My brother-in-law Jake got me into deer hunting. I'll forever be grateful. That snowballed my passion I suppose. I'll credit this forum to my love for bear hunting. Hugenuge gets credit to getting me hooked to cold-weather coyote hunting. 300 MagMan introduced me to Wyoming antelope-an absolute thrill. I stumbled into elk during my forray into deer hunting on private land up north. Moose hunting was also self-propelled. Giving it a real shot for the first time this year. Going well so far. Waterfowling I picked up on my own although it's not my first love. I could honestly do without it but it is a riot with the right group of guys. And if I ever do follow up with my desire to get back sheep hunting I'll credit that to a family friend named Sam. We went into the Wilmore a few years ago and had a blast. OK and waterninja gets the credit for pheasant hunting. That's an awesome time for a boys day out
So there's my curveball of an answer. Species specific introductions…

Positrac
10-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I started following my dad through the timber hunting Blacktails on Vancouver Island when I was eight. Haven't stopped since.

wildwoods
10-03-2017, 05:26 PM
I should add that 300 magman has also wrangled me up for a Texas Auodad, bobcat and javelina hunt next February. That's bound to be fun just hopefully not too addicting. Methinks it's going to be based on the YouTube videos I've watched! Darn it Chris!

huntinstuff
10-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Me

pikergolf
10-03-2017, 06:31 PM
In all honesty it was Outdoor Life. I read it in the school library, I doubt they would allow that now.

Bulldog Edm
10-03-2017, 06:33 PM
I grew up with my dad, his father and brothers going moose hunting every fall. My dad and my grandfather on my mother's side used to take me partridge hunting. Before I turned of age my parents got divorced and I wasn't so closes to my dad anymore for a while. Years later I moved to Alberta. Got my PAL. But had no one to go with. Couple years later I ended up with a bow as part of a trade. Started shooting that every day. Last year decided to start hunting. Haven't looked back. I love the challenge of bow hunting. I might try to get something with a rifle this year. I've never done it.

guywiththemule
10-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Myself. Started on gophers in 1961 and moved up.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

trigger7mm
10-03-2017, 06:44 PM
My Grandpa. He's been gone now for 5 years, still my hero!

Nayr
10-03-2017, 07:01 PM
My dad

bat119
10-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Deer sausage was a family affair 6 cousins piled into a station following another with the old folk out to push bush you can guess who did the pushing. I have to credit Jack O'Conner pushing me over the edge carried a Mod 70 270 Win. for many years after reading his books.

NoBiggie
10-03-2017, 07:37 PM
So, when I was young my dad took me out once. After that I always wanted to do it. When my Aunty and uncle got a divorce my dad stopped talking to my uncle (which was his hunting partner) when I became old enough to hunt my dad no longer did it. My mom presued several people she knew asking if they'd take me with several failed attempts. Finally I talked to my cousins and they agreed for me to go. So I have to thank my cousins, my uncle(and reconnecting to him) also got my dad back into it aswell which is nice.

bear crossing
10-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Was hunting since I was knee high to a tall grasshopper with my cousins ,mostly chickens,rabbits and squirrel.Sometimes very slim pickens,but we made out ok.

catnthehat
10-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Born into it via multi generations of hunters on both sides of the family
Cat

Bigwoodsman
10-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Started tagging along with my dad and uncles and family friends when I was 5 or 6. Hunted with them yearly up until about 2005 when dad got to go.

BW

yoteblaster
10-03-2017, 08:14 PM
No one in my family or very large extended family hunted I probably got the bug reading field and stream magazines in the local library. Now my two boys and I absolutely love hunting. My youngest turned 12 this year and is raring to hunt. Would have been nice to have a mentor but it turned out fine

Diesel_wiesel
10-04-2017, 06:30 AM
my dad brought home an outdoor life magazine for me when I was 4 yrs old, ive been hooked on hunting ever since, my dad never hunted a day in his life

bowhunter9841
10-05-2017, 12:23 AM
I started hunting on my own in my early to mid twenties, my dad was a hunter, but he passed away when I was 13. He was one of my influences, even though he will never know it. My brother helped to set the fire to my passion, even though I've never hunted with him either. I started off with a bow, then adopted a rifle. Now I hunt everything I can. Birds, deer, moose, elk. My first kill was a small whitetail buck. First time I had ever fired a centerfire rifle, I dropped him at around 300 yards. Pure luck!

top-pin
10-05-2017, 12:17 PM
My uncle had a cabin in Parker Valley. My dad, grandfather and numerous Uncles and friends always booked a week long trip. When I was 8 I finally got to tag along. Did that until I was 14. My Grandfather passed away and willed me his .308 model 99. That year I harvested my first deer, a 3 point Mulie. The joy I had will never be surpassed. I have since hunted off and on for years but really got back into it 7 yrs ago. I harvested a moose 2 yrs ago with that same model 99 and im not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear and looked to the sky to thank my Grandfather for looking down on my hunt.

sjemac
10-05-2017, 01:30 PM
In all honesty it was Outdoor Life. I read it in the school library, I doubt they would allow that now.

We still stock Field and Stream in ours.

Pixel Shooter
10-05-2017, 01:33 PM
My father. Had me out waterfowling since I was 8 and shooting at 12. Best days I ever remember are the days he took me out of school and the two of us took the truck and camper and went for days. Always said I was his best retriever ever, just slow LOL

hilt134
10-05-2017, 07:26 PM
I think the people who got me into hunting where all the adults around me who did not hunt and the kids in school who did. No one has hjnted in my household for 20 years besides me. But when i went to school kids would tell ne about their folks and uncles who hunted and took them. I really wanted to do it and when i turned 18 i made it happen

conqueror
10-06-2017, 01:29 PM
For me it’s wildwoods. I had a shotgun for a long time before I started hunting but he bought me my first rifle and scope and took me on my first hunt (which I came away with 2 does) about 5 years ago. Moved away for school for a few years so my hunting career got put on hold during that time but now that I’m back in AB i picked it up again and have really started to dig in. It’s a whole new experience when you gotta invest your own time and energy instead of getting everything on a silver platter. Kudos to wildwoods... he’s still a great mentor to this day.

Deasoninc
10-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Like a lot of you my dad got me into hunting . At 12 yrs old he took me out on my first hunt , witch happened to be antelope. He told me after i shot my first one I had to drink the blood. He almost had me , I had the cup of blood to my lips when he and his buddy laughed out loud and said " you where gonna actually do it!!"
That was 33 years ago , I still hunt with my dad today. Its also been 33 years since we hunt antelope together. In a couple of weeks we are going out on an antelope hunt again. I've had a few different hunting partners over the years but none are as knowledgeable and 'fun' as my old man. I still learn something pretty much every time we head out.

MAC
10-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Dad about 43 years ago.
He was a terrible hunter, but he loved being outside in the bush.
He was terrible but taught me my most important lesson Its not the kill just be happy and enjoy being out

Almost lost site of that during my hardcore years. Im older and mellow now
last 7 years with my son I remembered what it was that I had missed.
Old man passed away last year in August. Miss his calls asking about the hunt.
:sad0125:

MAC

pikergolf
10-06-2017, 02:12 PM
We still stock Field and Stream in ours.

Very pleased to hear that.

Slash8
10-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Family tradition - I guess I'm a mulit-generational hunter in Canada with lineage going back to the early 1700's in Manitoba during the fur trade with a wee bit of Cree blood in me as well. It's just something that has always been a part of our family. Can't really remember the first time I went but I know I was young, maybe 4 or 5 and I would also have to credit my Father, Grandfather and Uncles to the blessing of it all. I have memories from when I was quite young, a bunch of grown men from the family standing around and and looking at numerous deer hanging in the shed. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Dweb
10-06-2017, 02:38 PM
My father in law Jim...

He would always tell me the story of the moose he got with his two friends years back ...

After hearing the same story 100 times I started to become interested in it and ended up getting my PAL and hunting licenses ..

Now we make our own stories chasing white tails in November ..