PDA

View Full Version : solo hunting for the first time?

archerynut
10-03-2017, 09:25 PM
I've been hunting sporadically on and off for the past number of years. In the past, I have always been dependent on other hunters both for mentoring/information as well as access to hunting areas. This year, I am going to take a stab at heading out to a couple ACA conservation areas. I would really like to drop a whitetail. Not picky about size. Just want some meat.

My question surrounds the procedure for heading out to one of these sites. Unless it is specifically stated, am I just allowed to park my vehicle and head in on foot? Most of the sites state no overnight camping, no open fires and whatever else. But they don't say you have to contact farmer so and so to request access unless the land borders a grazing lease and you want to hunt that lease.

Also wondering about the success rate at these places? For those who have chosen to take a look at some of these areas, were you sharing the land with many other hunters? Some of the parcels are thousands of acres, some are under a hundred which would make me pucker knowing there's a couple guys in a very small area with powerful firearms. I also understand that my success rate will reflect the amount of scouting/observing that I do.

Just feeling a little lost with the season coming up quick and I have no plan in place. Alls I know, I wanna be in the bush in November with my rifle in my hands and a buck tag in my pocket. Thanks to any and all who decide to weigh in.

Eddy123
10-03-2017, 09:40 PM
The best piece of advise I can give you is to just get out there. I was in your position a few years ago. I had no one to take me out so I hesitated for a few years but once I got out there multiple times I learned a lot. Just read the regs and pack up and go there, nothing beats experience and the only way to learn is to do it yourself.

Bulldog Edm
10-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Like Eddy said getting out there is the best way too learn. Download the ihunter app. GPS works without cell service. 2 years ago I had absolutely no clue. I've managed to find some pretty decent hunting areas from looking at maps and then heading out to explore. If you can scout before the season. Then when the season starts you'll have a general lay of the land already.

pikeman06
10-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Get out there be quiet and read your sign watch the wind and hopefully the caveman instinct will kick in and you will find success on your own. Nothing like it. It's a rite of passage almost when it all comes together. You learn more by your own mistakes. The animals will teach you everything you need to know. Just stay back and watch.

Northern
10-03-2017, 10:24 PM
I hunt conservation areas exclusively and fill my freezer every fall.

Another option (close to Edmonton) is the Blackfoot (WMU 936). And ministik. Get out early in the season and you will be happy. Pre scout, maybe invest in a game camera.

So much opportunity in this amazing province.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Red Bullets
10-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Because these areas you are mentioning are public remember that not all users are going to be hunting. Weekends might be busier. Wear some blaze cloth going in and out at low light. Know your target and beyond the shot.

archerynut
10-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the replies and encouragement gentlemen. I'll take the sage advice and venture out. Seeing as I'm in Calgary, the places I have chosen to take a look at are all within 1.5 to 2 hours from Calgary. All the areas I want to hunt open up for rifles on the first of November but I'm thinking I'll be able to swing a day or two before opening day to head out to a couple of these places and do some exploring.

A very good point about these conservation areas and the different reasons people use them. I will make sure I incorporate some high-vis clothing.

58thecat
10-04-2017, 01:13 AM
The best piece of advise I can give you is to just get out there. I was in your position a few years ago. I had no one to take me out so I hesitated for a few years but once I got out there multiple times I learned a lot. Just read the regs and pack up and go there, nothing beats experience and the only way to learn is to do it yourself.

Also,let someone know where you are going, things happen and it is always nice to know if you don't get out someone knows where you are and can assist you.

I do a lot of solo hunts, prefer it, peaceful but always let someone know where I am going to be.

graybeard
10-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Also,let someone know where you are going, things happen and it is always nice to know if you don't get out someone knows where you are and can assist you.

I do a lot of solo hunts, prefer it, peaceful but always let someone know where I am going to be.

X 2 ....
The other thing is, don't hunt beyond your knowledge or capability....Just be careful.

Diligence
10-04-2017, 09:35 PM
...just a second vote for letting someone know where you plan to be. I always leave a "draft" email for my wife, that includes my gear list for the day, my proposed flight plan (and options in case somebody beats me to my spot), and I create a google earth "path" that shows where I'll be walking. AND most importantly, who and when she should call for help. It makes her feel better and god forbid I get hurt, it gives SAR a fighting chance at finding me out in the bush...

huntsolo1
10-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Get an inReach (or Spot or the like) and then you can actually text back and forth with your wife/family if need be, as well as send an SOS. Thing is awesome for when you are alone...if you can, splurge and get the one that has the gps maps as well...I'm wishing I did! And iHunter app...with those two things and some motivation you're good to go! Good luck.

JD848
10-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Scout out some places you want to try ahead of the season you want to go,download from google maps to help you out.Keep them maps with you when you go out,solo is great hunting and you move at your own pace.

Let some one know where your heading and don't change your plan once there,i hunted 2 or 3 hundred miles as far north as I could go by truck and boat for ten days or more at a time ,so I bought a good sat phone and used it for years and still have it.

The newer ones are not a bad deal if your going way out,so your smart phone maybe all you need so check that out before you go out.No reason in this day and age to be stuck way out in the middle of no where.

Think of what you would need if you have problems ,like a bit of food ,water pills,bit of extra clothing and most important something to make a fire fast,nov is a cold month so fire is very important allways.A good gps and compass along with a roll of bright orange flagging tape incase you get turn around.Good luck and every 50 steps look back on your path because that's what you will see on your way back out.

archerynut
10-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Hi fellas. I know for a fact that my wife would have my balls in a plastic bag if I went into the bush and neglected to let her know where I was going. If I got into a tight spot and found some trouble...:argue2:

I checked out one of the site sponsors for a GPS unit. Couple of the cheaper ones might be OK but the fancy ones are way out of my price range. A satellite phone would be very cool. Alas, the almighty dollar is my limiting factor.

Diligence, I wonder if you would be OK with me adapting your draft email idea. I think that would assuage my wifes anxiety as she sees me drive away in the morning afraid she will never see me again. She also happens to be a vegetarian so there is not a chance she would ever accompany me.

I'm reading all these posts over and over guys making sure I soak up all the info that comes from lessons learned in the past. Thanks for weighing in. If and when I am successful, I will post pictures and a really great write-up. Thinking I'm going to take two rifles with me. My 1943 No.4 and my 336(30.30) and maybe my over/under in case I get a chance at a pheasant or something tasty with wings? Thanks so far guys!!!

Sooner
10-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Some of my best hunts were alone and day trips. 3 hrs north, atv back 14 ish km's and hunt. I would pull my tub trailer behind me filled with gear to deal with whatever tag I filled. Or like you, drove to and walked a couple buck for wildlife properties looking for a WT buck. Fun times. Just have to be a bit more diligent on where your going, terrain & stepping etc.

Passthru
10-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Most of my hunts are solo now as nobody's schedules ever seem to line up or say they are interested but when the time comes.......crickets. I find a lot more satisfaction in figuring out the landscape and animals yourself. You'll have successes and failures but remember things could turn around in a second. Be persistent. Even if you feel like sleeping in and being lazy that is the day your big buck will be out. Always works that way. Keep at er and you will naturally learn as you go.

1899b
10-05-2017, 10:06 AM
The majority of my hunting has always been solo hunting. Started when i was 14 walking down my neighbourhood street in McMurraywith my Savage 99 slung on my shoulder (try that now without SWAT being called LOL) crossing first ice on the Clearwater River. Did a solo hunt this past Saturday exploring new territory by the Berland River and managed to fill an antlerless whitetail tag. Solo hunts are both therapeutic and very very satisfying for me. Hope you get to try and enjoy them.

Don_Parsons
10-05-2017, 10:55 AM

^^^ X3.

Been group and lone wolf Harvesting for a few years.

I favour the self harvest the most.

No need to fill a tag since we have a few acres of cattle that fill the freezers.

I'm sure you'll enjoy what ever you choose since you can set your own pace.

Don

conqueror
10-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Hey archerynut... just started to seriously get into hunting this year and did my first solo hunt a few days ago.
First of all I find confidence is key and when you don’t have experience to draw from, information is the next best thing. Like the others before have said, read, re-read, and read again the hunting regs. This will help you to know that you’re not doing something illegal. This forum has been great for learning whatever you need to know about whatever you’re hunting so I would just keep using the search feature to research any questions that might pop up. A good mentor Is really helpful too. I’m always texting mine while in the field asking specific questions. iHunter app is great for learning areas that you’re hunting. I STRONGLY recommend buying the in-app land ownership maps. I use them all the time to differentiate the public/private land and to help when looking for permission on private. Lastly, give yourself the tools and confidence to know that you could survive in the wilderness if needed. I always carry a first aid kit and survival kit with me. The survival kit should provide you with the ability to give yourself the basics of survival - food, water, warmth, shelter. With my gun and gear in tow I feel a lot better about venturing out on my own.
You’ll learn SO MUCH on your first few hunts so like the others have said, just get out there and once you get out that first time you’ll learn some things and have a bunch of questions after and that will guide you for your next hunt. Hope this helps and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk