PDA

View Full Version : Home security sustem

morinj
10-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Hi folks, I’m in the market for a home security system, there’s a lot of options out there and would like to know what people are recommending! Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback!

sharpstick
10-04-2017, 09:29 AM
We use Vivent, happy with the product so far. You can run it from your smart phone. I can be on holidays somewhere and if someone rings our doorbell I can see them and speak to them. Live video mode, records motion, etc.

Ken07AOVette
10-04-2017, 10:07 AM
D-link 5010-5030L as we discussed, instant recording to your email and notification to your phone, $100 from Bestbuy or Staples.

Vivent is being thrown out of many cities for their arrogant aggressive tactics. I would look elsewhere or at least check online reviews

Taylorchambers5
10-04-2017, 03:48 PM
I've been using think protection for a year now. Very affordable and they are quick to call if an alarm trips. You do the set up yourself while talking with them over the phone but it doesn't take too long. They were created by the former founder of alarmforce, kind of an interesting story if you do a bit of research on it.

CBintheNorth
10-04-2017, 09:35 PM
If you're looking for a monitored system (must have for me), and like techy stuff, check out alarm.com
Very cool options and very interactive.

Heyupduck
10-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Hi folks, I’m in the market for a home security system, there’s a lot of options out there and would like to know what people are recommending! Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback!

In all seriousness, I spoke to a guy about 20 years ago who worked in the security industry who said a dog is the most effective deterrent. Apparently they did a survey of prisoners to see which home security company scared them the most, but homes with dogs was always identified as least desirable.

About 10 years ago I spoke to a cop who said if you don't have a dog get a dog bowl and put it by your back step, but not a little bowl, a big one.

As it happens I do have a dog, and no home security. Garage has been broken into once in 14 years - that's all.

Also, my dog is also happy to see me every single time I have come home from work.

dangerranger5143
10-04-2017, 11:12 PM
D-link 5010-5030L as we discussed, instant recording to your email and notification to your phone, $100 from Bestbuy or Staples.

Vivent is being thrown out of many cities for their arrogant aggressive tactics. I would look elsewhere or at least check online reviews

I have a Vivint system in my home. I got it in July of 2016. I have no issues with the price or services provided. $65 a month. Covers the garage and house. Included a thermostat accessible from my iPhone and a camera to check up on the dog when he was a puppy last summer. Staff was friendly. No complaints.

Fast forward to September 2017. Parents moved to a rural property East of Caroline. Mom got quite the run around with them. Before an agreed price was set the salesperson on the phone was trying to schedule a tech to come out and install the equipment. Price was over $100 a month and they couldn't arm the shop which is within 200 feet from the house. Needed a completely weperatw system to arm the shop. Very pushy tactics. Mom just said NO!

Once my contract is up I will be thinking very seriously about switching. A neighbour just signed up with Fluent and has nothing but good thins to say and they are a Canadian company.

DR

artie
10-05-2017, 04:22 AM
no matter what they say and promise you as soon as you sign the contract the small print will say you just signed up for 5 years. Happened to me twice even though the second time the guys at the door said I could cancel monthly. But as soon as you call the office they will say you signed a 5 year contract.

Newellknik
10-05-2017, 05:44 AM
Saskatchewan company ...

Had them in quite a few houses....I would be surprised
if they are not the best at the important things .
Are you the Calgary area . Oh ya we pay $23.00 per mo.
full monitor ....and we have a mental dog .

Weedy1
10-05-2017, 06:43 AM
Mighty fine lookin' package ya got there Bub!

http://stories.barkpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/feature-2.jpg

JB_AOL
10-05-2017, 07:58 AM
What are you looking for from an alarm?

There are many DIY products, and many soon to be released products from NEST and RING that are monitored for alot cheaper than vivient/etc.

My parents have a self monitored system, and it works quite well. It mass-texts their list of people (who they chose), when it is set off. They also have cameras they can view to see if it was a false alarm.

That is what I'll be doing when my vivient contract is up (3 months).

The reality of it is, what does a monitored alarm company do? They call you, then if you can't make it to your house they send an alarm representative, who can be anywhere from 5-60 mins away. For $600/yr, that's pathetic, especially considering how many people use these companies.

you are better off making your house less appealing, lots of lights, exterior cameras (fake & real), and make sure the house is not easy to get into. Then for your own piece of mind, get a really loud siren hooked to the alarm.

Mangosteen
10-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Dog for sure. They can hear and sense things you cannot.
These days with the methamphetamine crack heads around they don't care.

What good is a camera if they have a hoodie over their head and face cover?

Before your alarm is responded to they have cleaned out your prize toy.

External loud siren is good.

If your on an acreage or farm get the Dakota System which sets up perimeter fences of infrared beams up to 100 meters long. That links into a central relay to which you can set any other alarms off.

Solar powered sensors transmit half a mile. Find on EBay.

Not cheap but definately good.

No monthly fee. You can set up the relay to deliver a signal to text message to you or to call the police.

Forget about these security system clowns ripping you off.

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 10:10 AM
We use Vivent, happy with the product so far. You can run it from your smart phone. I can be on holidays somewhere and if someone rings our doorbell I can see them and speak to them. Live video mode, records motion, etc.

Vivint is the worst. Their C BBB rating shows that. People in the industry just know :)

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 10:12 AM

And not be monitored? The whole reason most people get security systems is so real police and fire come. DIY systems are not connected to emergency responders, can easily be hacked, and provide not much value. But yes it does save you a bit of money :)

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Saskatchewan company ...

Had them in quite a few houses....I would be surprised
if they are not the best at the important things .
Are you the Calgary area . Oh ya we pay $23.00 per mo.
full monitor ....and we have a mental dog .

My neighbour had ST until I unplugged his motion detector for him and showed him their 45 minute response time :) Always helps to get something that is located in the city you are, with people available to service it. And It sounds like you have the really basic one that is ran through a phone line (cuttable) and not to your cell phone (tamper proof and remote arm/disarm service). They didnt tell you any upgrade options? Nobody pushes landline systems any more. Thats possibly why they arent growing either and have always remained a small player

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Dog for sure. They can hear and sense things you cannot.
These days with the methamphetamine crack heads around they don't care.

What good is a camera if they have a hoodie over their head and face cover?

Before your alarm is responded to they have cleaned out your prize toy.

External loud siren is good.

If your on an acreage or farm get the Dakota System which sets up perimeter fences of infrared beams up to 100 meters long. That links into a central relay to which you can set any other alarms off.

Solar powered sensors transmit half a mile. Find on EBay.

Not cheap but definately good.

No monthly fee. You can set up the relay to deliver a signal to text message to you or to call the police.

Forget about these security system clowns ripping you off.

LOL. A dog is easily taken care of with a knife, bat, or gun. Not to mention a house fire which is always unexpected has devastating consequences to a dog trapped inside. And solar powered security sensors? No thanks...

Just spend the $40/m....be monitored by professionals with a lifetime service protection, enjoy a 10-20% discount off your home insurance every month (which you dont get with DIY systems), and enjoy the fact the top companies pay your deductible if something was to still happen. The safety of yourself, your family, and your home at the end of the day should be your first priority, not how cheap you can get it for.

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 10:32 AM
I've been using think protection for a year now. Very affordable and they are quick to call if an alarm trips. You do the set up yourself while talking with them over the phone but it doesn't take too long. They were created by the former founder of alarmforce, kind of an interesting story if you do a bit of research on it.

Very interesting story indeed. Alarmforce finally got rid of Joe, who wanted everything ran and built as cheap as possible. Their calculator looking panels that they used (that he invented) have all crapped out and almost got AF shut down. So they canned him and their using brand name equipment, at prices similar to the other top companies, in a last ditch effort to save the chunk of the customer base they didnt lose. Think protection will not last long. Its dollar store security and people who research it understand this.

HighlandHeart
10-05-2017, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=CPT_420;3636982]LOL. A dog is easily taken care of with a knife, bat, or gun. Not to mention a house fire which is always unexpected has devastating consequences to a dog trapped inside. And solar powered security sensors? No thanks...

Why aren't we reading more stories in the news about all of the robberies out there that end in stabbed and beaten dogs being found in a burned down house? People looking to rob a house that see four big angry dogs through the door will usually just pick another house, rather than attracting attention with gunshots, fighting off multiple dogs and arson. That being said, a friend of mine who has forced his way into many houses with the RCMP told me to get an alarm in addition to dogs because most of the dogs he has run into are pretty indifferent even though people think their dog will turn into an attack dog.

bobtodrick
10-05-2017, 11:09 AM
In all seriousness, I spoke to a guy about 20 years ago who worked in the security industry who said a dog is the most effective deterrent. Apparently they did a survey of prisoners to see which home security company scared them the most, but homes with dogs was always identified as least desirable.

About 10 years ago I spoke to a cop who said if you don't have a dog get a dog bowl and put it by your back step, but not a little bowl, a big one.

As it happens I do have a dog, and no home security. Garage has been broken into once in 14 years - that's all.

Also, my dog is also happy to see me every single time I have come home from work.

That was 20 years ago.
My system has built in smoke and CO2 detectors. If either is tripped and I don't respond to the voice prompts the fire dept is sent out.
Same with flood sensors in my basement.
And I too was broken into once since I bought the house 18 years ago...the person/persons left before grabbing anything as soon as the siren in the basement started wailing.
Your dog isn't going to put out a fire if you're not home.

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=CPT_420;3636982]LOL. A dog is easily taken care of with a knife, bat, or gun. Not to mention a house fire which is always unexpected has devastating consequences to a dog trapped inside. And solar powered security sensors? No thanks...

Why aren't we reading more stories in the news about all of the robberies out there that end in stabbed and beaten dogs being found in a burned down house? People looking to rob a house that see four big angry dogs through the door will usually just pick another house, rather than attracting attention with gunshots, fighting off multiple dogs and arson. That being said, a friend of mine who has forced his way into many houses with the RCMP told me to get an alarm in addition to dogs because most of the dogs he has run into are pretty indifferent even though people think their dog will turn into an attack dog.

A lot of stuff doesnt make the news. The thing with security is, nothing is 100%. There are many lines of defense in protecting your property. Cameras arent my favorite, due to the hoody/mask issue. Dogs are a great deterrent, but many people assume dogs are friendly once they are petted and will risk going inside. If it turns out to be an agressive type inside, a lot of times in those cases something ends up happening to the dog. On the other hand, when have you heard of someone being attacked by a dog due to breaking into a house?

I do know and have heard of a lot of house fires involving pets, call the fire department and ask how often it happens.

A professionally monitored security system with yard signs and window stickers from a top company is one of the best deterrents, as people dont know what is hooked up until they are inside and its too late, so they wont risk it. They will pick a house that has nothing.

Also, a lot of the new security systems include video door bells, SkyBell HD being the best one IMO. These are live video feed (audio/video) when someone rings your doorbell or there is motion infront of your door way front walkway. You can hear and speak to whoever at your door remotely. You can add on smart thermostats, smart door locks, light bulbs, garage door openers and water valves so you sync all those with your alarm and control it all from your phone from 1 app. Incredibly user friendly these days.

Ken07AOVette
10-05-2017, 11:23 AM
And not be monitored? The whole reason most people get security systems is so real police and fire come. DIY systems are not connected to emergency responders, can easily be hacked, and provide not much value. But yes it does save you a bit of money :)

when the system is triggered you get the email notification instantly with video and pics. Who said it is not monitored? It is self monitored. Nobody is hacking DLink cameras don't even go there. You work for vivint?

ken1989
10-05-2017, 11:26 AM
My brother has a Vivent system on his farmyard. He had a break in a couple months ago. It is impossible for an ordinary person to download video to provide to the police. Vivent said that as well. Vivent sent someone down to pick up the hard drive and sent the hard drive away to extract the data (video). Their cameras take nice videos.

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 11:28 AM
That was 20 years ago.
My system has built in smoke and CO2 detectors. If either is tripped and I don't respond to the voice prompts the fire dept is sent out.
Same with flood sensors in my basement.
And I too was broken into once since I bought the house 18 years ago...the person/persons left before grabbing anything as soon as the siren in the basement started wailing.
Your dog isn't going to put out a fire if you're not home.

Well said. 2-way voice is great for confirming if its a real emergency or just a false alarm. But also good for listening in to the home in case there was a break in, voices are being recorded for possible evidence. And flood sensors like you mentioned are great too, helps your insurance go down even more.

Okotokian
10-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Nothing fancy here. Have been using Alarm Force for probably 12 years. Both wired and cellular capable. Have perimeter alarms on doors and windows and motion detectors inside the house. $31/month. Cheap. I'm sure I could do things with it from my cell phone but have never bothered to check it out. Call me old school. LOL Who knows if it does the job? I've never been broken into. I do like the voice communication and that it's monitored. Pointless to get an email if your home is being broken into and you are in it, asleep.

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 11:33 AM
when the system is triggered you get the email notification instantly with video and pics. Who said it is not monitored? It is self monitored. Nobody is hacking DLink cameras don't even go there. You work for vivint?

Read my previous posts Ken, and it will be obvious I dont work for Vivint. Never have, never will.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/345955/d-link-webcams-vulnerable-to-hacking%3Famp=1

Theres a start for ya, im not going to continue to go down the road you do with so many others, as I'm just too busy. :)

Ken07AOVette
10-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Read my previous posts Ken, and it will be obvious I dont work for Vivint. Never have, never will.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/345955/d-link-webcams-vulnerable-to-hacking%3Famp=1

Theres a start for ya, im not going to continue to go down the road you do with so many others, as I'm just too busy. :)

That was July of 2016, do you know if they have updated?

CPT_420
10-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Its not a matter of a quick update, their whole system is faulty. Its just you get what you pay for man. Theres a reason federal banks and government buildings are required to go with only a select few companies that have certain credentials, and not a $100 system from Best Buy.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/3154819/security/ftc-goes-after-d-link-for-shoddy-security-in-routers-cameras.amp.html

HighlandHeart
10-05-2017, 02:43 PM
A professionally monitored security system with yard signs and window stickers from a top company is one of the best deterrents, as people dont know what is hooked up until they are inside and its too late, so they wont risk it. They will pick a house that has nothing.

I've heard of plenty of people in rural areas who have had their places broken into in spite of an alarm. Turns out that the people cleaning out the house in five minutes to pawn your stuff for drug money are as afraid as the voice in the speaker from an alarm company as they are of the police who are a 20 minute drive away or your neighbors who are a few miles away, but thanks for your opinion.

darren32
10-05-2017, 02:59 PM

D-Link has a pretty decent NVR you may want to check out. DNR-202L

http://ca.dlink.com/products/home-solutions/mydlink-camera-video-recorder/

It supports up to 4 cameras. Can record on motion or continuously on a schedule. Uses stand alone hard drives. The phone app is pretty good for viewing multiple cameras (see picture, looks like the camera inside my garage is down right now LOL). I think I only paid $120.00 for it (plus the hard drives).

I have some cameras record on motion at certain times and other record continuously.

The part I like is that it can be "hidden". I have mine hard wired to my router but in a different cabinet so no one would find it and I would still have all the video up until the cameras were disconnected. With the cameras only, if someone steals your camera then they get your video too.

Only issues is, with 3 cameras it uses up all your wifi so I put my on it's own router.

It works pretty decent for the price.

To do much remotely you need decent internet speed. I am over an hour away from where my cameras are so they would be long gone by the time I got there but at least I would have some footage when I did.

Fisherpeak
10-05-2017, 03:45 PM

I have 3 big LOUD dogs and never a problem. They can pick up a strange noise at 3A.M and become unglued in seconds.From asleep to awake in a fingersnap. Couple weeks ago I was up at about 3 AM and my dogs cut loose.Two weenies were checking out vehicles on my block. I hit the outside lights and they ran. Good puppies. Love them. And they love me too.

FishHunterPro
10-05-2017, 03:55 PM
I have vivint but I did run into a gong show with them about my garage door kept triggering the alarm. Finally got a service guy over and he found that the kids that installed the sensor on the door just put a regular man door sensor and not the proper one for garage doors. He switched it out and then tried to charge me for a call out fee! I had to fight and refuse to pay it and threaten them that I was going to tell all the neighbors that their crooks for installing the wrong part and then trying to scam me to pay for the call out. Customer service tried to get me to pay 50% when I called and complain, I said No, get the manager. Manager gets on the phone and tries to hassle me for $15,No! Finally got it for free rightfully but what a bunch of losers. Sorry for the long rant lol

Fisherpeak
10-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Mighty fine lookin' package ya got there Bub!

http://stories.barkpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/feature-2.jpg

Yup, get one of these. Love mine.`Cept my big one is all black and 110 pounds.Makes the smile scarier.

masalma
10-05-2017, 08:36 PM
I have vivint but I did run into a gong show with them about my garage door kept triggering the alarm. Finally got a service guy over and he found that the kids that installed the sensor on the door just put a regular man door sensor and not the proper one for garage doors. He switched it out and then tried to charge me for a call out fee! I had to fight and refuse to pay it and threaten them that I was going to tell all the neighbors that their crooks for installing the wrong part and then trying to scam me to pay for the call out. Customer service tried to get me to pay 50% when I called and complain, I said No, get the manager. Manager gets on the phone and tries to hassle me for $15,No! Finally got it for free rightfully but what a bunch of losers. Sorry for the long rant lol

They came to my house and my wife decided to go with them. A few days later installers came and managed to steal an envelope that had about $200 sitting on the kitchen counter. There was about 4 of them going in an out for a few hours. We didn't know which one did it but we cancelled right away. They tried to offer us $200 towards a bill credit but I didn't trust them and wanted their stuff gone. They removed everything and left a bunch of holes in my ceiling and walls also refused to reconnect my old alarm which they disconnected.

brslk
10-05-2017, 09:36 PM
We went with Telsco because they're an Edmonton based company.
We have:
-Sensors on every window and door.
-Glass breakage sensors in every room with a window.
-Motion sensors all over the place.
-Driveway and front yard sensors.
-inside / outside and garage cameras.
-all sensors and most cameras hard wired.
-land line and cellar connection.
-Inside and outside siren.
-co2 / fire / flood sensors.
-Complete smart phone ability to control and monitor.
-2 way voice monitoring.
-Control pads at 3 house doors, garage door and master bedroom.
-Overhead garage door monitor and auto-close.
-front and back gate sensors.

Probably forgetting something. Basically everything available.
Costs about $50 / month but there is an insurance rate reduction
makes it work out to a lot less.
As far as I know, Insurance companies will not give you a discount
with an un-monitored alarm.

I'd love to get a dog but Neither of us are home enough and our yard is relatively small. It wouldn't be fair to the dog.
I have to make do with 3 vicious attack cats.

Never had an issue with Telsco at all. The service has been great and they even sent out a guy twice to adjust the motion sensors so the cats wouldn't keep setting them off. No charge.

I must say, the first time the alarm goes off in the middle of the night scares the crap outta you.

My boss was with Alarm Force and when he added a basement to his house he called to tell them. They had no record of his alarm even though they took the payments out of his bank every month for a year. No monitoring at all.
That was one of the reasons I went with Telsco instead of them.

CPT_420
10-06-2017, 09:05 AM

I've heard of plenty of people in rural areas who have had their places broken into in spite of an alarm. Turns out that the people cleaning out the house in five minutes to pawn your stuff for drug money are as afraid as the voice in the speaker from an alarm company as they are of the police who are a 20 minute drive away or your neighbors who are a few miles away, but thanks for your opinion.

Was said monitored system a quality one from a top comapany, that has 2 way voice, no landline connection and camera inside the panel? Or an old one from a local company, that has an old touch screen panel, with a sign infront that lets everyone know how old the system is? And your very welcome, its always good to educate people who arent in the loop :)

HighlandHeart
10-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Was said monitored system a quality one from a top comapany, that has 2 way voice, no landline connection and camera inside the panel? Or an old one from a local company, that has an old touch screen panel, with a sign infront that lets everyone know how old the system is? And your very welcome, its always good to educate people who arent in the loop :)

Someone who thinks alarms are scary enough to intimidate the people who he claims are armed with bats and knives and ready to burn down my house after killing a few big dogs isn't educating anyone about anything other than how active their imagination can get when they are questioned on their opinion. I'm cool with staying outside of your loop if that's OK. I hope you manage to sell plenty of alarms.

CPT_420
10-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Someone who thinks alarms are scary enough to intimidate the people who he claims are armed with bats and knives and ready to burn down my house after killing a few big dogs isn't educating anyone about anything other than how active their imagination can get when they are questioned on their opinion. I'm cool with staying outside of your loop if that's OK. I hope you manage to sell plenty of alarms.

Nobody asked you bud, I was helping the original poster with 10 years of knowledge setting up residential and commercial systems. Go derail someone elses thread, and take your attitude with you.

HighlandHeart
10-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Nobody asked you bud, I was helping the original poster with 10 years of knowledge setting up residential and commercial systems. Go derail someone elses thread, and take your attitude with you.

Take a deep breath there. When you explained how easy it was to take out a dog with a knife or a bat and then burn down the house (call the fire department and ask them about it?) is about the time the thread started getting derailed. Sounds pretty much exactly like what I would expect someone who sold alarms to say. You got your nose out of joint because I didn't agree with it? With all due respect, I will leave it up to the mods to determine where I should go and whether or not my attitude is up to standard. (tips hat)

CPT_420
10-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Take a deep breath there. When you explained how easy it was to take out a dog with a knife or a bat and then burn down the house (call the fire department and ask them about it?) is about the time the thread started getting derailed. Sounds pretty much exactly like what I would expect someone who sold alarms to say. You got your nose out of joint because I didn't agree with it? With all due respect, I will leave it up to the mods to determine where I should go and whether or not my attitude is up to standard. (tips hat)

Ill give you one more chance. Please copy and paste where I said the person who kills the pet will burn the house down. Never once did I say that. So it has nothing to do with me selling anything, and all to do with you not getting it and putting words in my mouth. You worried about someone burning down your house or something?

You must of read the part where I was talking about house fires are devastating to family pets, call the fire department and ask how many burned down houses they go to deal with have pets in them. Ever think of electrical fires? You think someone will just run out of nowhere and save your Sparky if you have a house fire while nobody is home?

But nope...you totally misread it, probably because your too busy playing with your hat? Ah well. Insurance companies love people like you.:)

HighlandHeart
10-06-2017, 05:13 PM
I did read the part about the house burning down wrong, I thought you meant the robbers with guns and knives would burn down the house. It doesn't make your claims sound any less like an alarm sales pitch to me, and I can tell how passionate you are about alarms. You understand that I wasn't questioning your expertise on alarms, I was more questioning your expertise on dogs and criminals. You never did explain how an alarm would stop a criminal from robbing my house any better than a few good dogs. If he is rough enough to dispatch a few Rotties by shooting or stabbing them, if he knows the police are a half an hour away, maybe you can tell me how an alarm and a voice in the ceiling or a sticker on the window is going to stop him from cleaning out my house any better than a few good dogs.

If you don't want to answer that question, we can call it off before it wins a one of the most boring threads of 2017 and agree to disagree. I have dogs and an alarm.

just_dave
10-06-2017, 06:07 PM
I went with Ambush Security here in Red Deer to hook everything up. They offer everything and anything and it's high end equipment. The agency that picks up the alarm message is Canada wide and whenever I accidently set it off I go straight to the phone because by the time I get there, they're calling. I have every window, door, room, garage covered plus Co2, flood and temperature. It was a big chunk up front because I bought everything plus three years coverage but they gave me four years total because I'm so ugly and they wanted to give me a break.

Immigrant
10-06-2017, 07:38 PM
No alarm or big dog will stop a criminal if he really wants to get in to your house. But with no alarm present they have all day ( especially in rural settings) to go through your stuff and load up the quads, sleds etc.
My first line of defence is good locks and reinforced doors and door jambs. When they start on the door the alarm is triggered. Now they have 20min to steal. I don't care about tv's or sound systems. They can take those. But my other valuables are in a "hidden" room. Well fortified. So if they find the room, now they have to start working on getting it open. That may take 5-10 minutes. If they get that open then they have to get the safes open. Maybe another 10-15 minutes. Me, my neighbors or the cops will be waiting for them when they come out.
The same goes for my toys in the shop. All have fabricated brackets bolted down in to the concrete floor. It will take them at least 5min to get in to my shop and another 10 to grind the brackets. An alarm is just one of many security precautions you should take

Then I have numerous trail cameras and video cameras all around the property. Not that they stop thieves, but it may help to identify someone or you could monitor activity when they scope out the joint.
Alarms dont stop theft, they shorten the window of opportunity for the thieves. I have been hit 2 now and they only got past the front door. Never had enough time left to steal anything.

powerbob
10-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Food for though . Most "professionally monitored " alarms take 5-10 minutes from the time alarm is triggered till they call first contact . Time keeps ticking if first contact does not answer ect.

brslk
10-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Food for though . Most "professionally monitored " alarms take 5-10 minutes from the time alarm is triggered till they call first contact . Time keeps ticking if first contact does not answer ect.

I've accidentally set off my alarm a few times. They've called my landline within a minute and my sell within 2 if no one answers the land line. No idea how long it takes to call my wife's cell phone after that because I always answer my cell phone.
Never ever has it taken 5-10 minutes.

Neighbors on both sides of me, across the street and behind me know to check it out when they hear the siren also.
We've lived here a long time and pretty much know everyone in the neighborhood. One of neighbor has keys to my house and I have keys to theirs in case of emergency.

Digger1
10-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Check out iSmartAlarm on your google. Works great running off an uninterruptible power supply, and sensors work from the shop 150 feet away. No monthly fees.

brslk
10-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Check out iSmartAlarm on your google. Works great running off an uninterruptible power supply, and sensors work from the shop 150 feet away. No monthly fees.

I have a fiend that uses that and he likes it. He mentioned it when I was shopping around.
He's a pretty tech savvy guy but I wanted monitored.

morinj
10-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, looks like I will have to do a little research!

HoytCRX32
10-07-2017, 12:04 PM
I use securtek, installed by Guardian Security in Calgary...use Honeywell's TotalConnect
Really like it.

If ADT calls you, run away screaming!