PDA

View Full Version : Found the Grouse

1stLand
10-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Good day in the Bush yesterday. Started hunting around 2pm and did lots of walking.

Ended the Day with 4 Spruce & 2 Ruffies.

Picture Below:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ1LxJjFDVC/

Fwee6
10-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Nice haul.

roosta
10-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Nice to know they're out there.
Do you mind sharing your hunting style? Do you have a dog / spot & stalk / listen for them? I figure like most prey, if they think you're after them then its 100x harder to spot them!

1stLand
10-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Nice to know they're out there.
Do you mind sharing your hunting style? Do you have a dog / spot & stalk / listen for them? I figure like most prey, if they think you're after them then its 100x harder to spot them!

I Don't have a dog unfortunately, so when they flush away into the trees, its hard for me to track them, although I have done so in the past.

I spot & stalk and I try and keep my ears open and listen for them.

You have to look around in your surroundings. When I do see them on the ground, they are as still as statues and its easy to walk right past one.

SAB243
10-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Congrats!

The Cook
10-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Good job. they're out there and we've all looked like Elmer Fudd one time or another, me more than most.

bowhunter9841
10-04-2017, 08:16 PM
I Don't have a dog unfortunately, so when they flush away into the trees, its hard for me to track them, although I have done so in the past.

I spot & stalk and I try and keep my ears open and listen for them.

You have to look around in your surroundings. When I do see them on the ground, they are as still as statues and its easy to walk right past one.

Congrats on a good haul. I "still" hunt for grouse as well, or spot and stalk. Walk very slowly and listen for the slightest ruffle of leaves or look for movement. If you're quiet, and they're in the area, They will screw up eventually, by giving away their location.

Actually zeroed in on a couple different ones about three weeks ago that were drumming. Thought it weird that he was drumming in September, but it gave away his position. With lots of patience, and about ten steps at a time, he gave me the chance to stalk in to bow range.

I'm not sure if it was the same bird all three times that I got close enough to shoot. But if it was, he's very educated now. Tossed one arrow right by the head of the first bird, just missed him. Second one I knocked a few feathers off of him, and the third, I'm sure was the same bird as the second one I fired at, he got more feathers knocked off of him. No blood, no hollow thump from the arrow impacting body, no dead grouse. Named that bird invincible joe!!

So happy I bought flu-flu's and judo points last year. Or I'd have been out about $60-$75 bucks in arrows and broadheads that day. For a bird that can be so totally dumb when you're not hunting them, they sure are stealthy little guys when they know you're after them.

1stLand
10-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Congrats on a good haul. I "still" hunt for grouse as well, or spot and stalk. Walk very slowly and listen for the slightest ruffle of leaves or look for movement. If you're quiet, and they're in the area, They will screw up eventually, by giving away their location.

Actually zeroed in on a couple different ones about three weeks ago that were drumming. Thought it weird that he was drumming in September, but it gave away his position. With lots of patience, and about ten steps at a time, he gave me the chance to stalk in to bow range.

I'm not sure if it was the same bird all three times that I got close enough to shoot. But if it was, he's very educated now. Tossed one arrow right by the head of the first bird, just missed him. Second one I knocked a few feathers off of him, and the third, I'm sure was the same bird as the second one I fired at, he got more feathers knocked off of him. No blood, no hollow thump from the arrow impacting body, no dead grouse. Named that bird invincible joe!!

So happy I bought flu-flu's and judo points last year. Or I'd have been out about $60-$75 bucks in arrows and broadheads that day. For a bird that can be so totally dumb when you're not hunting them, they sure are stealthy little guys when they know you're after them.

That would be fun to hit a grouse with the bow. Probably going to try next year when I start bow-hunting.
Grouse are fun to see in the woods. The woods seem almost barren and devoid of life except for those annoying squirrels chirping in the trees. So when you do come across a Ruffie standing still in the middle of the forest, its a treat!

alacringa
10-05-2017, 05:18 PM
I have done archery grouse a couple of times -- usually as a by-product of a deer hunt (always carry a few small game points just in case).
I have a lot more fun watching the dog work, though. We got our limit of Ruffies on Sunday - the birds are out there!