PDA

View Full Version : launching and retrieving alone??

TimC
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
just took the new boat out the first time to Wabamun provincal park today.

due to the fact that wife can't back down the trailer or drive the boat, tried to launch and retrieve by myself.

launching wasn't too bad, but retrieveing was a pain in the butt!:mad2:

it got really windy at the time of retrieving, i tried to pull the bow line but it just kept going sideway. (the fact that the plastic dock with bays won't let me walk the line to the trailer was pain in the butt too)

at the end i have no choice but to power on to the trailer, but scare of hitting bottom with the prop even with it up so the lower unit still under water.

water was up to my knee when i jumped of the boat to hook the winch.

any pointer of how to retieves alone??

thanks.

seahawkfisher
05-10-2009, 10:07 AM
thats about all you can do; if you don't have them, get some roller-guides for the back of the trailer to help keep the boat straight going on - i'm in the same "boat" as you for not being able to get too much help from he better half. water can be cold this time of year lol
cheers

Big Bull
05-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Even if I have someone to help me, I prefer to do it myself; less chance of something going wrong. And yes it can be tricky loading the boat back on the trailer with a cross wind, and I drive the boat as far onto the trailer as I can, with my super powerful 4hp Minn Kota! Once I get the boat on the trailer, I'll usually get my fishing partner to drive the rig up the ramp, otherwise I'm getting wet.

Goater
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
So a remote electric trailer winch would be just the ticket!

Freedom55
05-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I once saw a drunken man convince his drunken wife to go into the water to her ears to help him get their boat onto the trailer after a day of drunken boating at Rattlesnake. See if that works for you! lol

bsnyder
05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
just took the new boat out the first time to Wabamun provincal park today.

due to the fact that wife can't back down the trailer or drive the boat, tried to launch and retrieve by myself.

launching wasn't too bad, but retrieveing was a pain in the butt!:mad2:

it got really windy at the time of retrieving, i tried to pull the bow line but it just kept going sideway. (the fact that the plastic dock with bays won't let me walk the line to the trailer was pain in the butt too)

at the end i have no choice but to power on to the trailer, but scare of hitting bottom with the prop even with it up so the lower unit still under water.

water was up to my knee when i jumped of the boat to hook the winch.

any pointer of how to retieves alone??

thanks.

you brought back many unpleasant memorys( and giggles ) try unloading in 4 foot wave by your self. I lost 2 cell phones that week !!The best way is to drive on and off, In tournaments we are in and out in minits, tho my wife is backing up chalanged so i have to be a little creative but practice makes perfect.Go watch the tournament guys load and unload, its impresive.

CMMahy
05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Me and my family have always driven the boats up onto the trailer, without raising the motor, and have never hit the prop on the bottom, and my dad had built a low-slung trailer to make use of some of the shallower boat launches in our area. It takes a bit of practice to line it up with a cross wind, I try and aim the boat for the fender on the up-wind side, by the time I get in to the trailer, I'm about lined up with the center due to wind push, a quick tap on the throttle and the boat is on. Two vertical rollers or wooden stakes at the rear of the trailer help tremendously by keeping the rear of the boat from drifting, also as bumpers to line the bow up with the bunks in heavy wind or curent. We back the trailer in until only about 18" at the front of the bunks are sill above water, by the time the boat is up on them, a quick hit on the throttle will push the boat up the bunks 'till it touches the front pole. Then just reach over the bow, attach the winch, snug it up and you're good to go. Hope that helps!

Waxy
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I pretty much do it exactly like CMMAhy described, only I make sure to raise the motor as high as I can while still keeping the prop and water pickup in the water. Tilting the outboard up also helps to lift the bow onto the trailer when you apply the power.

The real secret to success is having guides at the back of trailer to hold the boat centered in a cross wind. You may not get the boat perfectly aligned, but it'll be close enough, especially on a bunk trailer.

With a little practice, you'll be doing it like the "tournament guys" in no time.

Waxy

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=12231&stc=1&d=1242317051

AB RANGER 007
05-14-2009, 10:26 AM
:wave:If you drive a truck, install a hitch platform on the front end, then you have front trailer push, :cool: instead of backup.:eek:

Bruce

Jamie Black R/T
05-14-2009, 10:34 AM
my woman can either help out on the launch or stay home

seems to work out well :evilgrin:

bsnyder
05-14-2009, 11:18 AM
my woman can either help out on the launch or stay home

seems to work out well :evilgrin:

that is funny but if I said that to my wife she would kill me and since she catches all the big fish at tournaments I have to keep her , haha:lol::lol:

Tides and Tales
05-14-2009, 11:37 AM
In my mind, the only way on and off is with power. I do it all the time by myself, and once you get comfortable it is easy as pie. Unless the skeg on your motor touches the ground when on the trailer, you shouldn't have a problem if the trailer is properly submerged!
Nose the bow on, steer it straight, power it up to the front, climb over the bow to hook up the winch and snug her up, lift the leg and pull her out.
I once watched a gentleman having difficulty getting his boat off the trailer on a ramp without much incline. His wife leaned her head out the window of the truck and yelled out, "do you want me to jerk you off"? He said sure, but can it wait until we get the boat launched! :lol:

TimC
05-14-2009, 11:46 AM
In my mind, the only way on and off is with power. I do it all the time by myself, and once you get comfortable it is easy as pie. Unless the skeg on your motor touches the ground when on the trailer, you shouldn't have a problem if the trailer is properly submerged!
Nose the bow on, steer it straight, power it up to the front, climb over the bow to hook up the winch and snug her up, lift the leg and pull her out.
I once watched a gentleman having difficulty getting his boat off the trailer on a ramp without much incline. His wife leaned her head out the window of the truck and yelled out, "do you want me to jerk you off"? He said sure, but can it wait until we get the boat launched! :lol:

the lower leg is about 6"-8" above ground when sitting on my trailer. so i guess i shouldn't be worry about hitting bottom. Just don't want to make an ass out of myself at the launch.:ashamed:

i think it's all depends on the slope of the launch too.

italk2u
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
I bought a pair of hip waders and kept them in the boat for when the launch was too shallow. Just put them on and walk the boat up to the trailer, clamp on the rope and winch it on.

JohninAB
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM
By myself for launching I tie a long rope between the boat and the trailer. Back in till boat floats off then grab rope and pull over to the dock. Loading I back in with my bunk trailer till bunks are submerged then pull back out till the side guides are half sticking out of the water. Drive boat on. Hook up winch cable and step onto tongue. Tighten down winch and I am gone. Both operations are done in mere minutes. Dry at all times.

If you are hand pulling the boat onto the trailer, get your boat on the upwind side of the trailer. Hold rope at front of trailer, push boat out let wind drift it over and pull on quickly when lined up.

But the side guides like in Waxy's pic are the only way to go.

fish99
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a 18ft boot 150 hp engine and i back the trailer so the fenders are just out of the water tilt motor up some and drive boat on trailer trailer has rollers ,, have done this for 19 years with this setup

I-Love-Eyes
05-15-2009, 07:16 AM
that is funny but if I said that to my wife she would kill me and since she catches all the big fish at tournaments I have to keep her , haha:lol::lol:
Funny that!!! I catch all the fish too!! My hubby says it's because he has to drive the boat but when I offer, he says no LOL

TIMC; I can't back the trailer in either, but launching or driving the boat on was easy to learn. Be patient with your wife and teach her to load and unload the boat---will make your life lots easier! LOL

catnthehat
05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
I off load mine by putting my anchor rope on my end gate then backing up and hitting the brakes - there is anough line that I do not have to rush out of the cab to grab the rope before the boat gets away.
Loading?
I drive a jet and simply nose up to the trailer ,power it on , and I'm done!:D
Cat

Pontoon Johnny
05-22-2009, 04:28 AM
I have found that even with guides on the pontoon boat trailer (20Ft), I am always jumping in the water.

I have had the surface area of that thing make a light wind...almost slam it into my truck as it slides sideways into shore...alone.

here I find the best thing is if the trailer is driven in, gets wet...then back out til it is 2/3rds out of the water. Other than that...I really belive it is practice practice practice.

I am mounting a camera on the front next year, and will try to drive it on to the trailer. I have seen guys with these big toons rip a board right off their trailers, when trying to drive on...not for this guy.

this is the first year with the boat, so I have less than 12 times out. I am hoping it gets easier, and I get more comoftable, so that I can start simply driving it on...here's to HOPE!!

cheers!!