PDA

View Full Version : Huntable rivers from a Zodiac

Hilgy
10-04-2017, 12:24 PM
This may be a bit of a long shot but I'm looking for some advice. I have recently come into possession of a brand new 10.5' Titan inflatable. Basically a zodiac with fiberglass hull.

I would like to try to find some areas I could use this boat to do some hunting. This is by no means a skinny water boat and has a max Hp rating of 10hp.

I'm thinking there has got to be some areas that have deep enough sections a guy could run up and float down in the early morning and evening and call/glass. I realize that water levels change from year to year and even week to week. I'm going to be checking out the Brazeau area and also Berlin to see if I can find areas that look suitable. I don't plan on using the boat this year for hunting but I'm going to start exploring and doing some homework so I don't get myself killed.

Are any of you guys doing anything like this? I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their spots but would love some advice or even a "you're crazy". If you have spots that you're willing to share I'm all ears. PM or otherwise.

Thanks guys
Hilgy

3blade
10-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Pretty good reason the guys who do river hunts use jet boats or canoes. I foresee some wading, swearing and winching in your future.

Positrac
10-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Pretty tough hunting from a prop boat in any river up north because of the color. I have a coworker thar hunts the Athabasca north of Fort McMurray with a punt and 10 hp. Usually the motor kicks up before any damage is done. Not the other day I guess. He's looking for a new lower leg now...

I was stuck on a sand bar two weeks ago and I said to my partner how did this spot with 2 inches of water look any different from the rest of the river? He looked around and said it doesn't. Reading the river works most of the time but it will catch you every once in a while.