PDA

View Full Version : crawfish nsr

savagencounter
05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
is it legal to trap crawfish on the nsr? ive been catching alot with a pickeral rig . might be tastey to catch a pot full.

needmoretoys
05-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Crayfish
Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.

This is out of the 2009 reg's

savagencounter
05-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Crayfish
Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.

This is out of the 2009 reg's
would trapping them then killing them to eat in a trap be considered retention. i dont think fw would care if your trapping them but i couldbe wrong

ESOXangler
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
fill your boots is what i say lol. but considering they are living filters, habitating a river with mercury warnings would make me think twice.

jrs
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
If you just have a meal or two of them on occasion you should be fine. I know a guy that used to set minnow traps on some lakes by Lethbridge and the Oldman River to get a few to eat. I couldn't bring myself to eat anything out of the same waterbodies, too much manure being washed in :lol: . It sounds like the North Saskatchewan is pretty overrun with them, as is the Sturgeon River and i'd guess many of the settling ponds near by. Just make sure you kill them as soon as you capture them. Let us know how they cook up.

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
If you just have a meal or two of them on occasion you should be fine. I know a guy that used to set minnow traps on some lakes by Lethbridge and the Oldman River to get a few to eat. I couldn't bring myself to eat anything out of the same waterbodies, too much manure being washed in :lol: . It sounds like the North Saskatchewan is pretty overrun with them, as is the Sturgeon River and i'd guess many of the settling ponds near by. Just make sure you kill them as soon as you capture them. Let us know how they cook up.
contrary eo rumors the fish in nsr are very safe to eat, above devon there really isnt any pollution and the mercury content is low and naturally occrring. i eat the fish there and am fine. still not sre if trapping crawfish is legal but i doubt fisheries would care as long as the trap isnt left unattended. you could fill the pots in the nsr no problem and have a cajun dinner mmmmmm. goldeye are great with garlic butter and they are running right now. make sure your traps cannot catch fish and cannot be cofused with a fish trap. hoop traps would be the way to go im thinking

bessiedog
05-12-2009, 10:30 PM
check the regs.

Its legal. You just need to kill em quick. No live transportation.

I found them in the Oldman. Could they be all throughout the province?

kindof scared to eat them though.

any ideas boys?

goober
05-12-2009, 10:41 PM
They are good eats that is for sure!! Working in the States this year some of the boys from Louisiana made up a huge batch of them at Thanksgiving.

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
check the regs.

Its legal. You just need to kill em quick. No live transportation.

I found them in the Oldman. Could they be all throughout the province?

kindof scared to eat them though.

any ideas boys?

right on cajun dinner here i come. and they cant be any worse than mcdonalds or the cigarrets i smoke. we all eat crab and lobster the ocean is probably not as clean as we all assume. the shrimp you buy at the store are farmed in china mmmmm human fecies make them grow big. so the nsr should be the least of your worries.