PDA

View Full Version : Rocky hunting boots

gloszz
10-04-2017, 03:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the Rocky brand of boots. I bought the broadhead model and I am super disappointed. First the waterproof synthetic coating started to peel off, then tore, now the whole front of the boot has fallen apart and almost froze my toes off. Not only is that the issue but it says lifetime warranty, and now that Wholesale is going out of business, not sure what else to do.

So... the story continues and I called Rocky. Was on hold for 45 minutes and then decided to live chat them, was on hold for 30 minutes and decided to give up. How does this company stay in business with such crap products and customer service?

pikergolf
10-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Bought my first pair of good boots about 8 yrs. ago, Lowa, 300 bucks plus, have bought 3 more pairs of Lowa, Hanwag, all on super deals. Cheap boots are a waste of money. I have bad ankles so need support even walking, my walking boots have had the heel replaced 4 times, they last about a year. I'm a bit of a boot junkie, but if anyone asks me, I'll always say, buy European boots, they will last and you will pay to resole them rather than buy new boots. Can't believe the money I went through buying cheap boots.

Slicktricker
10-04-2017, 05:16 PM
I had a pair for 8 years no issue put many miles on them :) new pair this year even lighter ones and just as great have 24 days put on them no issues at all, so maybe you got a bad pair so maybe it's you not the company

gloszz
10-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Bought my first pair of good boots about 8 yrs. ago, Lowa, 300 bucks plus, have bought 3 more pairs of Lowa, Hanwag, all on super deals. Cheap boots are a waste of money. I have bad ankles so need support even walking, my walking boots have had the heel replaced 4 times, they last about a year. I'm a bit of a boot junkie, but if anyone asks me, I'll always say, buy European boots, they will last and you will pay to resole them rather than buy new boots. Can't believe the money I went through buying cheap boots.

Yea I may just go European to be honest. I thought if I paid $200 for these ones, they may be good but since they were made in China, I am not surprised haha.

MK2750
10-04-2017, 06:35 PM
I have looked at them before in CT and they looked like any other mass produced junk. Yesterday I was looking at a pair in the Sportsmen's Den and they were full leather and looked of very good quality.

It is very hard to go by brand or country of origin these days. It all depends on the design and quality control the company incorporates. I have a couple of pairs of Chinese Irish Setter Elk Trackers and they are awesome boots. The quality is obvious from the sole to the triple stitching on the leather uppers.

I just returned a set of Cabelas branded Meindl boots and they sucked from the ground up. One was fit different from the other, the Nubuck leather was paper thin at important parts and the sole was about the same quality you would expect in a pair of rubber boots. My feet got completely soaked in dew covered grass in less than 100 yards.

Rocky seems to be very much hit and miss. I have a pair of bibs that were grossly over priced but needed in a pinch. The lower zippers failed almost immediately but after repair I am okay with them. I wasn't really planning to purchase any more Rocky products and your dealings with customer service seals the deal.

3blade
10-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Have a pair of rockys I bought 7 years ago, lots of miles, just killed them this year. Happy with the investment, but won't buy again. Seems like the quality plummeted within the last 5 years, have heard lots of complaints.

My next pair will be lowa or hanwag. Boots are hands down the most important piece of gear.

gloszz
10-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Have a pair of rockys I bought 7 years ago, lots of miles, just killed them this year. Happy with the investment, but won't buy again. Seems like the quality plummeted within the last 5 years, have heard lots of complaints.

My next pair will be lowa or hanwag. Boots are hands down the most important piece of gear.

I agree, for the first two months I used these as waterfowl hunting boots as they were waterproof to mid height. Then this past weekend I got them wet from dew, not even stepping in water. I always thought lifetime warranty is like a Costco or Nordstrom warranty haha, not a "if you get a hold of us, you'll be lucky".

SSTL
10-04-2017, 08:45 PM
I bought a pair - they are garbage. Supposed to be waterproof but get wet feet when walk in wet grass...will never buy again. I bought those Wolverine boots at BP with trade-in for $64 - best hunting boot I've owned, so comfortable and actually waterproof.

teaston11
10-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Has anybody tried Schnees boots? Hefty price tag on them. Wondering if its worth it and if they will actually keep my feet warm in late Nov??

Wolfhamstein
10-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Recently bought a pair of Browning Buck Shadow's, you won't find any reviews about them because they are pretty new. But i tried them on and they felt great right out of the box, have had no issues with them walking through water or hiking. I tried a pair of Lowas and they also felt really good right out of the box as compared to cheaper boots that require a "break in" period. So i guess what im trying to say is that its a good boot to buy if you dont want to break in a cheaper pair. Cost was 240:scared0018: