PDA

View Full Version : Family Trip to Alberta

jmdelipper
10-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Hey all,

My family and I are making the trip from Manitoba to Turner Valley and Calgary in a couple weeks to visit my brother. We have two young boys (3 and 1) and we will be staying in Turner Valley.

I was wondering if you all could offer up some suggestions on activities that might be good for the boys. We do plan on checking out the Calgary zoo but I would like to know what else might be geared towards younger kids.

Ideas?

omega50
10-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Granary Road
https://www.granaryroad.com/

Between Turner Valley and Calgary
Check out their Active Learning Park

Day Trip to Banff/Canmore

Trip into South Calgary to Southland Leisure Centre for water slides/wave pool

Both Calgary Zoo and Telus Spark are cool , but almost prohibitive in cost for a young family

West of Turner Valley for 1/2 day trip to Sheep Falls or hike up Blue Rock Trail

dwedmon
10-04-2017, 05:54 PM
If you daytrip to Canmore, Elevation Place is a fantastic rec centre with a pool and climbing wall.

In Calgary, the TELUS Spark is expensive but its worth it.

Jayhad
10-04-2017, 05:55 PM
West of Turner Valley for 1/2 day trip to Sheep Falls or hike up Blue Rock Trail
Big horn is on the same road and a little closer, it is very easy, that said my favourite of the 3 is Blue Rock. If you make it that way pull over at gorge creek and check out the spawning bull trout.

Both are great hikes and I was going to suggest these. A trip south Nanton to check out the aircraft museum and the Nanton Candy Store for the kids.

Sam Livingstone Trout Hatchery is in Calgary, it's an excellent hatchery for kids offering a lot of hands on exhibits.

If you haven't seen a Bass Pro it's a sight to behold.

raab
10-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Go see a Hitman game at the Saddledome.

omega50
10-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Bring winter wear if heading to the mountains in mid- late October, I lived in Turner Valley for 20 years and raised my family there-Could be nipply there too.

lannie
10-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Go down the very scenic highway 22 to the Crowsnest Pass and check out the Frank Slide, the Frank slide interpretive center, and the Bellevue Underground Mine tour(phone ahead to set up a tour). If you made this a day trip I bet it would really be a highlight of your trip. Interesting place with some of Alberta's
finest residents....

omega50
10-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Go down the very scenic highway 22 to the Crowsnest Pass and check out the Frank Slide, the Frank slide interpretive center, and the Bellevue Underground Mine tour(phone ahead to set up a tour). If you made this a day trip I bet it would really be a highlight of your trip. Interesting place with some of Alberta's
finest residents....

Used to always take out of town visitors to Frank Slide and everyone has always thought it was cool. But we had family visiting from Hungary in 2012 and took them there.

Figured they were having a great time and look back and they are barely holding each other up and weeping in full blown grief.

They were quiet and sullen and deeply disturbed all the way back to Calgary.
Like we had taken them to a death camp. Worse part of their trip to Alberta:scared0018:

Go figure

Red Bullets
10-05-2017, 04:37 AM
If you are driving while around Calgary take an 1.5 hour drive NE to the Royal Tyrrell Museum. Maybe your 3 year old is into dinosaurs. It is a nice place to visit. I imagine people from all around the globe go there for the dinosaur and fossil exhibits.

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/visit.htm

jmdelipper
10-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and links! The wife and I are definitely going to be checking some of these out.

Okotokian
10-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Could go to Anchor D outfitting just west of Turner Valley (like 10 minutes) and do a sleigh ride / hay ride and some tobogganing. https://anchord.com/

You can go just about any day of the year to Spruce Meadows and see the horses, even if there are no competitions on. Go in the corn maze that is there this month. There are two Octoberfest jumping tournaments indoors, totally free to attend, free parking. Spruce meadows is on the south west edge of Calgary, not far from Turner Valley.
https://sprucemeadows.com/index.jsp

Badgerbadger
10-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Used to always take out of town visitors to Frank Slide and everyone has always thought it was cool. But we had family visiting from Hungary in 2012 and took them there.

Figured they were having a great time and look back and they are barely holding each other up and weeping in full blown grief.

They were quiet and sullen and deeply disturbed all the way back to Calgary.
Like we had taken them to a death camp. Worse part of their trip to Alberta:scared0018:

Go figure

Maybe head-smashed-in buffalo jump would be better.

omega50
10-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Maybe head-smashed-in buffalo jump would be better.
Funny you say that because I joked about the same thing to my wife on the drive home that day in 2012.
Hungarians had very little English skills so we joked openly with them weeping in the back seat