PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Silverado quirk, need input

biggyJ
10-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Last week or so, when I start my truck,

My radio sets to 87.9 and my clock resets. Doesn't happen every time. But enough to be annoying.

Had oil changed last week, battery tested fine. Consistently pulling over 14V when running. No issues with starting. Battery terminals all look good and are tight.

Did some web searches. Nothing obvious has come up.

Disconnected battery tonight for 10 mins to reset. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Looking for input before I take it in to get looked at.

kevinhits
10-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Last week or so, when I start my truck,

My radio sets to 87.9 and my clock resets. Doesn't happen every time. But enough to be annoying.

Had oil changed last week, battery tested fine. Consistently pulling over 14V when running. No issues with starting. Battery terminals all look good and are tight.

Did some web searches. Nothing obvious has come up.

Disconnected battery tonight for 10 mins to reset. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Looking for input before I take it in to get looked at.

LOL....My 2008 Chev 2500HD does the same thing especially when it has been cold out. Keep in mind, I maybe start my truck up every 2 -3 weeks or so. Battery is still good but oh well....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

spirit4u
10-05-2017, 10:00 AM
I think you gave it away in your opening line. 'When you start your truck'. That's the only action you have taken. Narrows it down to the ignition switch I'm thinking. For a brief instant there is an open on the power supply for your radio 'keep alive power' circuit. Poor connection there somewhere. Good luck.

lannie
10-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Possibly excessive draw from the starter when cranking and circuit voltage
dips below memory voltage for radio and the symptom is the reset?

Johnny Huntnfish
10-05-2017, 03:09 PM
I have a 2014 Silverado aswell. Lots of weird glitchy problems with electronics. Trailer brake icon will come on and off at random, problems with blue tooth and a few times my entire dash would just power down until I restarted truck.

Ennyindabenny
10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
2008 Savana 2500 used to to the exact same thing.

kevinhits
10-05-2017, 03:12 PM
LOL....My 2008 Chev 2500HD does the same thing especially when it has been cold out. Keep in mind, I maybe start my truck up every 2 -3 weeks or so. Battery is still good but oh well....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Was out ice fishing a couple years back and radio stopped working...pulled the fuse out and put back in...problem fixed:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cams
10-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Had a similar issue with my 2007 1/2 Chevy 2500hd. Issues went away with new batteries. They tested ok but had nothing left after starting the truck.

ChickakooKookoo
10-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Check the fuses. And not just to see if they work, pull them out individually and see if they're allowing enough voltage to go through. For whatever reason sometimes the fuse works but the voltage coming out is much lower than it should be.

partsman
10-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Mine turned out to be the battery, always started but radio would reset finally had a midtronic test done and it was weak, had me baffled for a while because it always started.

Opalsasquatch
10-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Mine turned out to be the battery, always started but radio would reset finally had a midtronic test done and it was weak, had me baffled for a while because it always started.

This^

Starter draw on a weak battery brings the voltage down

Battery will seem fine until it really gets cold or is left awhile

kevinhits
10-05-2017, 06:00 PM
This^

Starter draw on a weak battery brings the voltage down

Battery will seem fine until it really gets cold or is left awhile

x2

My truck still has the original battery since 2008...I bought the truck in 2012 with only 19k on it.....Batteries amost 10 years old...LOL...

I am waiting a little longer to change it, but I should probably do it soon:bad_boys_20:

Brian Adams
10-05-2017, 06:29 PM
I bought the truck in 2012 with only 19k on it

Sweet

-JR-
10-06-2017, 05:36 AM
x2

My truck still has the original battery since 2008...I bought the truck in 2012 with only 19k on it.....Batteries amost 10 years old...LOL...

I am waiting a little longer to change it, but I should probably do it soon:bad_boys_20:

IS your truck for sale ....I am looking.

kevinhits
10-06-2017, 06:13 AM
IS your truck for sale ....I am looking.

I think I am going to keep it for quite awhile yet:)

biggyJ
10-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Update

Got weird messages in last two days

- roll window down then up
- 2 keys programmed

Radio still resetting intermittently. Had battery tested again, tests fine.

Opalsasquatch
10-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Update

Got weird messages in last two days

- roll window down then up

- 2 keys programmed

Radio still resetting intermittently. Had battery tested again, tests fine.

Did they test it with an electronic tester, or an actual carbon pile that puts actual load on it?

Could be a bad harness or module somewhere, but I've been out of the game for years.

Aftermarket remote start? Many weird glitches in vehicles happen years after a poor install because they often scotchloc into factory harnesses and damage wiring.

Suzukisam
10-06-2017, 09:15 PM
My bet is battery have it load tested

Desert Eagle
10-07-2017, 09:51 AM
I had similar issues on a diesel. Just spend the $100 and get a new battery. Problem will be gone. We see this quite often on remote sites, batteries won't fully charge and as soon as you put a hard draw on it ( like starting a truck) the voltage drops below the limit for the radio clock.

gtr
10-07-2017, 10:21 AM
My bet is battery have it load tested

Liking that idea.