PDA

View Full Version : CTV survey on gun control laws, the worst choice is winning, go there now!

8x68S
10-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Posted on another forum. Thought I'd pass it along
Poll is near bottom of page http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/
It's hard to see. The survey is right above the 'weathercast' and there are three choices, one of them actually effective, but the worst, More Gun Laws, is way out in front.
I realize polls like this are probably skewed but vote anyway

bat119
10-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Tougher gun-control laws 1616 (47 %)
Tougher penalties for gun violence 1491 (43 %)
Increased police presence 357 (10 %)

Kurt505
10-05-2017, 08:06 AM
It's mind blowing how some believe that by restricting the law abiding citizens you can curb crime.

Further proof common sense is no longer common.

Stinky Buffalo
10-05-2017, 08:35 AM
I'll hazard a guess that many of those voting for "tougher laws" have no clue what the current laws/screening are.

The wording on the poll irks me a bit - the second choice should say "harsher penalties for violence". Why should "gun" violence be penalized harsher than, say, baseball bat violence?

JeanCretien
10-05-2017, 08:38 AM
So I get to pick between;
1. More governance
2. More governance
3. Police state

This is why I got rid of our TV. Don't need to pay for the commi propaganda machine in my house. Unreal.

wags
10-05-2017, 08:43 AM
It's mind blowing how some believe that by restricting the law abiding citizens you can curb crime.

There's lots of proof of something.

play.soccer
10-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Tougher penalties 46%

Oh muh government..... Harper wanted tougher penalties for criminals and got criticized heavily for it. That guy could have cured cancer and people would have crapped on him.

densa44
10-05-2017, 08:52 AM
I know it says guns but research shows that people will often pick the simplest solution even it it is wrong or won't work, eg. Mr. Trump's election.

That doesn't mean polls like this can't be troublesome in the wrong hands but I'm not sure they are measuring what the pollster says that they measure.

For example; "would you be willing to pay $X Billion to keep track of all guns in Canada" The answer would be no.

Kurt505
10-05-2017, 08:56 AM
There's lots of proof of something.

Care to elaborate?

wags
10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Care to elaborate?

That we differ greatly on what common sense is.

I actually like you, don't want to fight with you about it.

Cheers

elkhunter11
10-05-2017, 09:35 AM

The truly sad thing is that the majority of Canadians don't even understand our firearms laws. Yet they don't let their ignorance stop them from asking for even more laws. Even many AO members don't know the firearms laws, let alone the people with no interest in hunting or shooting.

Selkirk
10-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Posted on another forum. Thought I'd pass it along
Poll is near bottom of page http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/
It's hard to see. The survey is right above the 'weathercast' and there are three choices, one of them actually effective, but the worst, More Gun Laws, is way out in front.

I realize polls like this are probably skewed but vote anyway

But why?!

It's just another of thousands of unscientific, poorly constructed media polls that carry no legal weight, and in the end mean Nothing. The media put up those polls on their websites as a form of entertainment, in hopes that they help create more 'traffic' and boost their ratings. Those polls are there for nothing more.

No offence intended, but if you think those polls are there to legitimately address a concern, solve a problem, etc., you are very much mistaken.

Don't get suckered in.

Selkirk

bobtodrick
10-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Common sense is prevailing.
It now stands at 52% for tougher penalties for gun crimes and 35% for tougher gun control.

aulrich
10-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Actually they should have had none of the above.

If you look at gun deaths in the US there are three big groups

Suicide
Violence between males 17-32
Domestic violence

The US suicide rate is not particularly high but improved access to metal heath support would do better than any sort of gun law. The fact that the biggest group in suicide is white males and getting some people to accept that a white male can have a problem there is a barrier here to proper discourse

As bad a Vegas the body count was not much more than a normal weekend in Chicago and there are 9 other US Cities with similar problems. Something like 50% of the Murders in the US are perpetrated Black males 17-32 typically killing other black males and just to put it into perspective that is 0.75% of the population doing 50% of the murders. Police presence can help but the “Ferguson effect” has police hamstrung in the areas that need them most. And then there is the state of the Black family.

Domestic violence, an increase of family service and policing should do the most help

So you can expect that bump stocks will be banned by the end of the year without too much fuss, politicians will paint themselves a hero and nothing changes. Until people demand and participate real change nothing will. Gun control will do nothing significant in these areas but the problem is that addressing these problems require work and effort from everybody. Not only that but honest conversations that can identify the root issues, all of which is beyond the polarized society as it currently sits.

colroggal
10-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Gun Violence in another country and the media feels the need to scrutinize our gun laws. It seems to me what happened in Edmonton was the result of effective gun laws.

It also spotlighted how ineffectual our immigration policies are.

Stiffer penalties - that is a question we can ask when the laws in place start being enforced.

Colin

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
10-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Maybe the honest law biding people who own firearms wouldn’t have to go to great lengths to make sure their belongings are still there when they get home from work if there was more police presence. Under staffed indeed and the criminals make such a mochary of the legal system it’s not even funny.

A sick mind cannot be fixed by creating more gun laws as these individuals kill reguardless of the tools available. People who don’t fully understand the firearms community and only see these recreational activities as tools that kill cannot be helped either.

A sick mind with a simple box cutter could have killed just as many people in Vegas if not more, try and explain that to these anti firearm zealots.

HowSwedeItIs
10-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Luckily the people who have time to sit on the CTV website and fill out polls don't tend to have much influence

TylerThomson
10-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Tougher penalties 46%

Oh muh government..... Harper wanted tougher penalties for criminals and got criticized heavily for it. That guy could have cured cancer and people would have crapped on him.

The reason Harper got crapped on was for over stepping his role constantly as is evidenced by the amount of charter challenges his government lost.